2nd level FAs that improve the Bills Now

Free Agency is about to start.

Using the stated Bills philosophy about FA, these are picks that I believe would strengthen the Bills. None are superstars, but just good solid players.

Each gives the Bills time to draft and develop players at positions of need. None will break the bank, but they fill an immediate need and give the Bills breathing room to develop draft picks into starters. None are superstars, but simply just good solid players.

Chris Clemons, S, Dolphins

James Jones, WR, Packers

Austin Howard, OT, Jets

Who are your 2nd level free agents that will immediately improve the Bills this year and help them compete now, not just maybe someday in the future?

I don't understand why ppl continue to suggest the Bills sign Nicks, Decker, or James Jones who are all number 2 receivers when the Bills have plenty of them but really need a legit number 1

I haven't looked at the free agent list but I'd like to see them sign a starting quality guard and maybe a LB. They could also use a backup CB because I would hate to see then use a draft pick on another CB when their top 3 is set

Roger Saffold (New OG)

Brandon Spikes (ILB on run downs)

Corey Graham (Core ST’s and Nickel/Dime CB)

And I’m going out on a limb here bc they’re not second tier, per se, but I think the Bills surprise us. Keep an eye out for DE

Lamarr Houston/Justin Tuck.

MLB- Perry Riley 4mil yr - Had a great yr in 2012, plays with Leadership & Heart

OG-Geoff Schwartz 4 mil- Big Nasty phone booth type lineman that engulfs defenders at poa. Fits Marrone scheme perfectly

OT- Austin Howard 6mil - Mauler in run gm decent in pass pro needs a little work on techniques but has alot of upside only 26yrs old

FS- Stevie Brown 6mil - This dude is a baller best kept secret in NFL. Had 10pks in 012. Missed last season cause of torn Acl injury can possibly be better then Byrd if healthy

This would be great we get 4 good players that are all young 26 or younger for anywhere from 18-20 mil per season..

MLB- Perry Riley 4mil yr - Had a great yr in 2012, plays with Leadership & Heart

OG-Geoff Schwartz 4 mil- Big Nasty phone booth type lineman that engulfs defenders at poa. Fits Marrone scheme perfectly

OT- Austin Howard 6mil - Mauler in run gm decent in pass pro needs a little work on techniques but has alot of upside only 26yrs old

FS- Stevie Brown 6mil - This dude is a baller best kept secret in NFL. Had 10pks in 012. Missed last season cause of torn Acl injury can possibly be better then Byrd if healthy

This would be great we get 4 good players that are all young 26 or younger for anywhere from 18-20 mil per season..

FS - Stevie Brown I would be very cautious with him with little, no guarantee. He is a high risk signing. He might never come back fully from his ACL injury. If he comes back, great. But he has to prove it first with a low guarantee, incentive laden contract.

OG - Geoff Schwartz – Can’t argue with him. Appears over his hip injury. Not so sure he could come at the price you say, but if it was not a high guarantee it would be a good signing.

ILB - Perry Riley

“The Post previously reported that Riley was seeking something similar to the five-year, $34.75 million Dannell Ellerbe got from the Dolphins. It would be a hefty sum for a player that graded out 46th among 55 qualifiers at 3-4 inside linebacker in PFF's grades” - Rotoworld.

I don't understand why ppl continue to suggest the Bills sign Nicks, Decker, or James Jones who are all number 2 receivers when the Bills have plenty of them but really need a legit number 1

I haven't looked at the free agent list but I'd like to see them sign a starting quality guard and maybe a LB. They could also use a backup CB because I would hate to see then use a draft pick on another CB when their top 3 is set

I'm not endorsing James Jones as a FA pick-up in any way, but the reason why some of us are comfortbale suggestion that "type" of WR is because, I for one, we believe the BILLS will Draft their No. 1 WR in the Mike Evans / Jordan Matthews / Donte Moncrief sort....so, over-paying for a "#1" WR when the Draft is very deep this year in big, fast, pass-catching WRs, would seem to be a poor allocation of funds and value...just IMO...

Mel Blount or Peyton Hillis

We need a 3rd RB that can actually get carries to spell Fred and CJ and play when one of them gets injured.

Mel Blount would be great, can we turn back the clock? He made Richard Sherman look like Nickell Robey. The guy was a beast. Seriously we should sign a BIGGER FA receiver, and draft a BIGGER one as well. Also, do the same thing on The O-line. And along the way address the ILB. We get these right and we have done what we need to do.

This is pretty spot on, I'd say. You can get good, experienced G and LB in free agency for not a huge amount of money. If we can target just these two positions and get good upgrades, we'd be in a pretty nice position overall.

Mel Blount or Peyton Hillis

We need a 3rd RB that can actually get carries to spell Fred and CJ and play when one of them gets injured.

Not in FA. Not worth the money. This is what the 4th or 5th rounds in the draft are for.

SJ will have a cap of about 9 million next year. He will not be around next year. Getting a Jones now on a lower contract will give us a better value priced number 2 or 3. Not that Jones is better than SJ, just that the Bills have a horrible contract with SJ for his relative value. Plus we now have a good 2-3 in both Woods and SJ. Maybe a good 3-4 in Goodwin in the future. We are in no way set at WR. Hopefully we will draft a real #1 WR, but it is not a sure thing.

Jones at a good price now helps give us targets for EJ now to give him his shot at proving he is a viable QB. Plus a better value 2-3 next year to replace SJ.

Not in FA. Not worth the money. This is what the 4th or 5th rounds in the draft are for.

Like Johnny White? There are a ton of RBs as FAs. Get someone who has shown they can be serviceable in NFL and that you can actually play. I can't believe signing Blount or Peyton Hillis would be a high dollar proposition.

FS - Stevie Brown I would be very cautious with him with little, no guarantee. He is a high risk signing. He might never come back fully from his ACL injury. If he comes back, great. But he has to prove it first with a low guarantee, incentive laden contract.

OG - Geoff Schwartz – Can’t argue with him. Appears over his hip injury. Not so sure he could come at the price you say, but if it was not a high guarantee it would be a good signing.

ILB - Perry Riley

“The Post previously reported that Riley was seeking something similar to the five-year, $34.75 million Dannell Ellerbe got from the Dolphins. It would be a hefty sum for a player that graded out 46th among 55 qualifiers at 3-4 inside linebacker in PFF's grades” - Rotoworld.

Stevie Brown is 100% recovered from his turn ACL and is looking for a long term deal, but also says he would settle for a 1yr prove it deal. I agree with u bout not giving to much guaranteed money. A good deal would be with playing time incentives. I that scenario he would be well worth 6mil per season.

Perry Riley is living in a dream land if he thinks he's gonna get 7mil per. No way anyone pays him like that. 4 or 4.5 mil is more like it. I wouldn't mind singing Akeem Jordan he's 25yrs old and is a true 2 down backer that plays the run very well. He should come cheap. I think a Deal like Lawson 4yrs 12mil should get it done.

Geoff Schwartz was quoted that he looking to be paid like a starter. I don't expect him to break the bank considering he only started half a season for his career. He's also a one dimensional player that doesn't fit alot of teams zone blocking philosophies.

You build your core through the draft and fill in needs in FA. Very rarely is a high price FA signing a good move unless it's a QB or pass rusher. You are best off getting 2nd tier guys. Also, wrs tend to bust a lot as FAs.

Schwartz and Darryl Smith would be very nice pieces to plug in.

You build your core through the draft and fill in needs in FA.

Schwartz and Darryl Smith would be very nice pieces to plug in.

echo?

You're right. Build the team with the draft. Fill it out with free agents. Field a team of talent and raise a talent pool for the future. Play your best players on their units. Put your best athletes on special teams.

Its amazing how people forget how basic football is when they try ti over think ir