What will the Cleveland Browns do in the draft?

Tipster19

I'm curious what the Browns will do in the draft for several reasons. First and foremost they hold two 1st rd picks and have a major impact on this year's draft. especially having such a high pick with their first selection. Secondly because of their pick at the #4 spot it will have a really big impact on who will be available for the Bills at the #9 slot.

I didn't and still don't think that they will be all jacked up in taking a QB with their first pick, even if they do happen to move up in the draft. It appears that they are more than willing to go will Hoyer but that's not to say that they won't look to reinforce this position with either a draft selection (with their #26th pick?) and/or in free agency. Derek Carr's name has been mentioned recently as a QB prospect that the Browns have been impressed with and he should be available for them with their second 1st rd pick at #26. They also have a lot of extra premium picks early in this draft by having one 2nd rder, two 3rd rders and two 4th rders. My point is that they have plenty of ammunition to move up if they choose to do so. With Pettine being a defensive minded coach and in light of the Seahawks' impressive Super Bowl victory, it's now more acceptable for teams/franchises to be more than willing to construct a team that allows the defense to win games for them.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Browns were to trade up in the draft with Houston. Even if they don't I'm starting to think that Clowney might be the player that they are wanting and he could still be available for them at the #4 spot. Here's my reasoning for thinking that. At the #1 slot, regardless if it's Houston or even if they trade out of it, I'm expecting that selection to be used on a QB (Manziel?).

Now with the Rams selecting second I fully expect them to take an OT. They made their commitment to Bradford and their OL is very unsettled to say the least. Jacksonville is picking third and they desperately need a QB.

I guess that the only way that Clowney won't be available for them is if the Texans keep their pick and select him themselves. If that were the case then this is where I would think that Cleveland would try and trade up with them. Sliding down to #4 and picking up some premium pick(s) wouldn't be a bad alternative for the Texans. If the Texans are willing to trade out and not take a QB then that should leave 1 of the 3 top QB prospects to be available for when the Raiders select at the #5 slot. The reason why I bring this up and it is of interest to me is the Raiders are the team who is most likely to draft Sammy Watkins. If Oakland were to draft a QB at this spot and pass on Watkins then here's where Buffalo could have a real good shot of having him being available for when they pick. Tampa at #7 would be the only other team that I would be sweating over, they could realistically be interested in Watkins.

I haven't mentioned Atlanta at #6 but once again I expect them to take the other OT (Robinson or Matthews) that should be available when they are on the clock. As far as the Vikings go, I think regardless of who they take, that it will affect us too much.

Bottom line when Buffalo's turn comes up at #9 the prospects that should be available will be OT Taylor Lewan, LB C.J. Mosley, WR Mike Evans and TE Eric Ebron with an outside shot of LB Khalil Mack and WR Sammy Watkins being available.

Me personally I think that it comes down to either OT Taylor Lewan or LB C.J. Mosley but I would love to see us get WR Sammy Watkins. If it comes down to either Lewan or Mosley I'd rather see us get Lewan.

I'm just thinking that somehow, some way the Browns are going to draft Clowney. If so I find that very interesting and he would be the best pick for them verse any other player that they could get. With their current defense, which is already good, Pettine's newly implemented scheme and adding a premier player on defense like Clowney, who after being critized for not putting forth his best effort all the time, I think that this coach, this team and this player are going to be really galvanized and will be out to prove something this year.

Interesting post, as I am a Cleveland fan...Bills first, then Cleveland, that is.

Cleveland is in a great spot and with Pettine I fully expect them to pass up on QB @ 4. For the same reason indicated above. IMHO, they are content with Hoyer to begin the draft process and, as the OP stated, supplement the position later or in FA. I don't see Houston trading out of 1, though. It makes too much sense for them to take Manziel. I don't care what the pundits say about the TX connection (not being a big deal). Fact is, Johnny D-Bag is a TX boy through and through that will stay in TX with a team that has a southern owner that has been in Houston for more than 50 years...so, by default, he's a true Texan. Houston needs a QB and Manziel gives them just that plus all the fan and marketing appeal. Face it, Texans love hell-raisers and Manziel fits the bill.

It gets interesting with St. Louis...everybody is thinking OT. But, with the depth of talent there coupled with the fact they picked up Long last year (even though he's injured), I believe they go in a different direction. Like the OP stated, they follow the Seattle mold and go D with pick 2. Since they are set, by all accounts, at DE I think they grab Mack. Putting Mack behind those DE's and next to Laurinitas makes for a nasty front 7. Then, they trade back into the top 10 with our Bills. Here they have the option of picking up some insurance for Long (if he's not ready) and they're opposite bookend to the aforementioned Long. They'll have to pay a hefty price, given pick values, and we (Bills) end up with an additional 2nd rounder.

Jacksonville will take Bortles, whom I believe is the best QB in the draft.

Cleveland is up and Clowney is there for the taking and Pettine, et al, have a circle jerk.

Oakland takes Watkins. even though I don't believe they are satisfied with Pryor, they just can't pass up the talent that is Watkins.

Atlanta has shown their hand to all and in this scenario, it works out for them and they grab Robinson.

Tampa is a crap shoot. They can go in so many different directions. They need help, or could stand and upgrade, all over the field. They've seemingly committed to Mike Glenn, so I think they grab an OT, who just so happens to be BPA here with Matthews.

Minnesota lands Bridgewater as we all know they are a mess with their QB situation.

St. Louis (Buff) is up again and they grab that insurance/bookend that I spoke of earlier. Lewan is a Ram.

Detroit grabs Evans. who better to be opposite of Megatron but a dude that is the same size and could develop into the same dominating type WR everyone wants?

Tenn could use help on D and they grab the best available pass rusher. Barr comes off the board.

Cleveland (NYG). This is where Cleveland makes their move. A relatively sizable jump, but I think it only costs them 1 of thier 3rds and one of their 4ths. NYG buys into it because of the deep draft and ends. Cleveland still has two 2nd rounders to boot. Initially I thought Lee to go opposite of Gordon, but with the impressive work outs the other WR's put up it could end up being Cooks, Benjamin (even with the poor showing @ the combine) or even Beckham.

Our boys are set to grab Ebron. Initially I wasn't a fan of this kid. I thought he was an oversized WR, but he packed on about 10 lbs and seemingly didn't lose a step. With an NFL training regimen I think he can pack on an additional 5-10 lbs and be a beast in the Graham mold.

So, here's what my top 15 looks like:

1- Houston - Manziel

2 - St. Louis - Mack

3 - Jax - Bortles

4 - Cleveland - Clowney

5 - Oakland - Watkins

6 - Atlanta - Robinson

7 - Tampa - Matthews

8 - Minnesota - Bridgewater

9 - St. Louis (Buf) - Lewan

10 - Detroit - Evans

11 - Tenn - Barr

12 - Cleveland (NYG; Kouandjio @ 26) - Lee (Grab thier RB in rd 2 and QB in rd 3-4)

13 - Buffalo - Ebron (2nd rd: 41-Moses; 44-Moncrief)

14 - Chicago - Gilbert

15 - Pittsburgh - Dix

Edited by Armchair GM

I think the Browns end up going defense with their first pick and end up taking a QB with their second pick

This would not surprise me at all. The only elite player they have on D right now is Haden, as they still need to decide what they are doing with TJ Ward. I am thinking Pettine takes BPA/defense at 4.

Browns pick Manziel at #4

Browns trade their #26, #35 and #83 to the Bills for the Bills' #9 pick.

Browns take Evans at #9.

Manziel and Evans together again.

LOL...it's not a prediction but just a "hey what the heck" scenario, it's pretty close on the trade value chart. I think the draft goes Clowney #1, Watkins #2, Mack #3 and I have no idea what the Browns will do.

Browns pick Manziel at #4

Browns trade their #26, #35 and #83 to the Bills for the Bills' #9 pick.

Browns take Evans at #9.

Manziel and Evans together again.

LOL...it's not a prediction but just a "hey what the heck" scenario, it's pretty close on the trade value chart. I think the draft goes Clowney #1, Watkins #2, Mack #3 and I have no idea what the Browns will do.

That's interesting - I heard a guy from STL yesterday predicting the Rams to take Watkins at 2.

at #4 - Khalil Mack

at #26 - QB

I can definitely see this. Adding Mack to what is already a pretty good D, would give Pettine a lot of scheme flexibility. Pettine would get a TON out of Mack. And like you say, a good QB prospect will be there at 26.

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting post, as I am a Cleveland fan...Bills first, then Cleveland, that is.

Cleveland is in a great spot and with Pettine I fully expect them to pass up on QB @ 4. For the same reason indicated above. IMHO, they are content with Hoyer to begin the draft process and, as the OP stated, supplement the position later or in FA. I don't see Houston trading out of 1, though. It makes too much sense for them to take Manziel. I don't care what the pundits say about the TX connection (not being a big deal). Fact is, Johnny D-Bag is a TX boy through and through that will stay in TX with a team that has a southern owner that has been in Houston for more than 50 years...so, by default, he's a true Texan. Houston needs a QB and Manziel gives them just that plus all the fan and marketing appeal. Face it, Texans love hell-raisers and Manziel fits the bill.

It gets interesting with St. Louis...everybody is thinking OT. But, with the depth of talent there coupled with the fact they picked up Long last year (even though he's injured), I believe they go in a different direction. Like the OP stated, they follow the Seattle mold and go D with pick 2. Since they are set, by all accounts, at DE I think they grab Mack. Putting Mack behind those DE's and next to Laurinitas makes for a nasty front 7. Then, they trade back into the top 10 with our Bills. Here they have the option of picking up some insurance for Long (if he's not ready) and they're opposite bookend to the aforementioned Long. They'll have to pay a hefty price, given pick values, and we (Bills) end up with an additional 2nd rounder.

Jacksonville will take Bortles, whom I believe is the best QB in the draft.

Cleveland is up and Clowney is there for the taking and Pettine, et al, have a circle jerk.

Oakland takes Watkins. even though I don't believe they are satisfied with Pryor, they just can't pass up the talent that is Watkins.

Atlanta has shown their hand to all and in this scenario, it works out for them and they grab Robinson.

Tampa is a crap shoot. They can go in so many different directions. They need help, or could stand and upgrade, all over the field. They've seemingly committed to Mike Glenn, so I think they grab an OT, who just so happens to be BPA here with Matthews.

Minnesota lands Bridgewater as we all know they are a mess with their QB situation.

St. Louis (Buff) is up again and they grab that insurance/bookend that I spoke of earlier. Lewan is a Ram.

Detroit grabs Evans. who better to be opposite of Megatron but a dude that is the same size and could develop into the same dominating type WR everyone wants?

Tenn could use help on D and they grab the best available pass rusher. Barr comes off the board.

Cleveland (NYG). This is where Cleveland makes their move. A relatively sizable jump, but I think it only costs them 1 of thier 3rds and one of their 4ths. NYG buys into it because of the deep draft and ends. Cleveland still has two 2nd rounders to boot. Initially I thought Lee to go opposite of Gordon, but with the impressive work outs the other WR's put up it could end up being Cooks, Benjamin (even with the poor showing @ the combine) or even Beckham.

Our boys are set to grab Ebron. Initially I wasn't a fan of this kid. I thought he was an oversized WR, but he packed on about 10 lbs and seemingly didn't lose a step. With an NFL training regimen I think he can pack on an additional 5-10 lbs and be a beast in the Graham mold.

So, here's what my top 15 looks like:

1- Houston - Manziel

2 - St. Louis - Mack

3 - Jax - Bortles

4 - Cleveland - Clowney

5 - Oakland - Watkins

6 - Atlanta - Robinson

7 - Tampa - Matthews

8 - Minnesota - Bridgewater

9 - St. Louis (Buf) - Lewan

10 - Detroit - Evans

11 - Tenn - Barr

12 - Cleveland (NYG; Kouandjio @ 26) - Lee (Grab thier RB in rd 2 and QB in rd 3-4)

13 - Buffalo - Ebron (2nd rd: 41-Moses; 44-Moncrief)

14 - Chicago - Gilbert

15 - Pittsburgh - Dix

If St. Louis offered Tavon Austin to the Bills for EJ Manuel, Kiko Alonso and Chriss Gragg. The Bills would not stop laughing.

It would be strange if the two teams pulled off basically the same deal in back to back years.

I would love the move but St, Louis is in the toughest conference in football now and needs more not less talent.

If St. Louis offered Tavon Austin to the Bills for EJ Manuel, Kiko Alonso and Chriss Gragg. The Bills would not stop laughing.

It would be strange if the two teams pulled off basically the same deal in back to back years.

I would love the move but St, Louis is in the toughest conference in football now and needs more not less talent.

You're right...They have just an equal shot of ignoring the line and D and going WR & TE...Personally, I think it's smarter to lock down you OL and improve upon a D that is on it's way to being very, very good.

Austin started comming around and the draft (dead horse) is deep @ WR, fairly deep @ TE and there is a slew of RB's in the mid to late rounds. Also, I don't think they take the same "dust settles" approach to FA as the Bills have recently.

All I'm saying is, they have the ammo to make some moves, albeit strange that it may be with the Bills, it's still a very real possibility with the same or different players in the mix. Who wouldn't want 2 picks in the top 10 and only give up 1 of 2 2nd rd picks?

I have an equal shot of being dead wrong as well...which is more likely than not.

1 - Houston - Bortles

2 - Atlanta - Clowney

3 - Jax - Bridgewater

4 - Cleveland - Mack

5 - Oakland - Manziel

6 - St Louis - Robinson

7 - Tampa - Matthews

8 - Minnesota - Lewan

9 - Buffalo - Watkins

From your keyboard to God's ears. I keep saying that all it takes is one unexpected move. The expected is three QBs , the unexpected is three OTs in the first eight.