Gilmore adds yoga to his fitness regimen

Beerball

I think every player should be doing it. Hip flexor and groin injuries would go way down I imagine.

no joke. I've seen the biggest and strongest men fold like a chair when doing yoga. Their quads maybe powerful, hamstrings thick. They may be able to squat 500# but their hips, groin and glutes don't hold up.

no joke. I've seen the biggest and strongest men fold like a chair when doing yoga. Their quads maybe powerful, hamstrings thick. They may be able to squat 500# but their hips, groin and glutes don't hold up.

I have been a fitness buff my whole life and used to put up huge weights(315 6 reps). I used to look at yoga poses and think they looked so easy. Then I tried it. A 90 minute bikram yoga workout is hard as it gets. I gained so much flexibility. Strength should be functional. And like you stated, I had a hard time opening my hips. My achilles was very tight. I had a nagging hamstring injury. Yoga fixed all that. Another workout I really like is the probodx workout. It is based on unstable surfaces, and like yoga it trains balance and flexibility

I have been a fitness buff my whole life and used to put up huge weights(315 6 reps). I used to look at yoga poses and think they looked so easy. Then I tried it. A 90 minute bikram yoga workout is hard as it gets. I gained so much flexibility. Strength should be functional. And like you stated, I had a hard time opening my hips. My achilles was very tight. I had a nagging hamstring injury. Yoga fixed all that. Another workout I really like is the probodx workout. It is based on unstable surfaces, and like yoga it trains balance and flexibility

Don't forget to mention the back. How many people out there talk about back aches and realize it has nothing to do with the actual back!? Their quads are likely too tight, their posture is terrible, their hips and pelvis are tight, their core/oblique/abs are very weak, they do not use their feet properly when walking/moving, Achilles and calves are super tight, hamstrings weak, etc.

They forget how important the trunk is and think it is just the back. I am no medical expert but I would bet 45% of back injuries/aches are actually something else, 50% are mental, and 5% are actual technical problems with the back/

About a year ago, I decided I was too fat and decided to get in shape. I changed my diet completely and started the P90x DVD program. After the first few workouts, there was much pain. The fourth day, I got to the yoga workout and thought, "Thank God, a break. This'll be easy." About ten minutes in I knew I had made a horrible mistake. It was the only workout I didn't get through entirely that first week. A year later, I've changed up my workout routine, but still do Yoga once a week and I hate it every time.

Don't forget to mention the back. How many people out there talk about back aches and realize it has nothing to do with the actual back!? Their quads are likely too tight, their posture is terrible, their hips and pelvis are tight, their core/oblique/abs are very weak, they do not use their feet properly when walking/moving, Achilles and calves are super tight, hamstrings weak, etc.

They forget how important the trunk is and think it is just the back. I am no medical expert but I would bet 45% of back injuries/aches are actually something else, 50% are mental, and 5% are actual technical problems with the back/

most backaches are caused by tight hamstrings. And core is everything. I just finished my core workout. Any athletic move is based on core

most backaches are caused by tight hamstrings. And core is everything. I just finished my core workout. Any athletic move is based on core

Have you ever or can you do dragon flags?

I just started working out again and they are my new obsession. I'm able to do some, but not what I feel a full set should be.

I just started working out again and they are my new obsession. I'm able to do some, but not what I feel a full set should be.

I watched the video and am intriqued. It is similar to a yoga shoulder stand- which I cannot do fully, but I am working on it. I always wanted to be able to do the human flag too. And I am impressed if you can do a dragon flag

DSC03287.JPG

I watched the video and am intriqued. It is similar to a yoga shoulder stand- which I cannot do fully, but I am working on it. I always wanted to be able to do the human flag too. And I am impressed if you can do a dragon flag

DSC03287.JPG

not to make this a love fest of yoga and all; I mean, I think Tom would get jealous...

But, I can do a few and it is so painful. It feels as if your abs are piano strings being held over a lighter and being plucked as they begin to shred at the tension. I told my GF that it was my goal to be able to walk while doing the dragon fly with ease like the guy does on the youtube video.

but yeah. We are looking to find a good Yoga studio this Spring to join once I am done with making hay. (wow, that sounds funny. A hick ass bumpkin farmer doing yoga?)

Oh, and yes. I would (to the girl above).

Edited by jboyst62

I end my squat workouts with a set of dragon flags to failure.

When I'm down to my cut weight I can human flag as well

Drink raw eggs and run the stairs at city hall

Chase a chicken... You'll be like greasy lightning

Edit: yoga- first nfl player I remember owning up to doing it was Shaun Alexander.... And he was purely awesome and incredibly durable until his very last season with the fractured foot.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I really, really want to do yoga (women in yoga pants :) ) . Heard nothing but good things. Gilmore is going to be a borderline pro bowler next year, barring injury. People are too quick to write off young players here.

I started doing yoga a few months ago and I can honestly say its a great core workout and a great place to pick up chicks. Good for Gilmore to add it to his regimen hopefully he stays healthy.