Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

All joking about the ineptitude of the Bills' FO aside, do we honestly think Whaley and co. didnt know and weigh all their options? If it was a "no brainer" to tag and trade him for a high pick, why on earth wouldn't they? I am pretty sure they took all options into account and made what they figure will be the right move. Don't forget, the Bills will be rewarded a compensatory pick if some other team in fact signs him. So it won't actually be for nothing.

That is what I'm saying and am satisfied that they gave it their best shot. Contrary to popular belief, these guys are very intelligent people. That said, he is not gone yet. We will find out next week when he hits the open market what he is truely worth. If the Bills have the best offer and he still doesn't sign, we will know he didn't want to play here.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And if a team KNOWS they're getting Byrd, all the more reason for them not to give up a pick and all the more reason for Byrd not to sign the tag.

As for coming to grips with the truth, whose truth are you referring to?

GO BILLS!!!

What are you talking about? A team can't just "get" Byrd if he's franchise tagged. The whole point of tagging him is to either keep him for an extra year or so that another NFL team would have to offer you a trade deal.

I'm surprised so many Bills fans are buying what the Bills are selling here.

Edited by 1billsfan

Honestly, I'm just very disappointed. IMO, it's hard to completely blame any side. Byrd got drafted and didn't have a choice where he wanted to play. He became a really good player and inflated his value. good for him.

The Bills, if reports are true, were willing to pay him a lot of money. Honestly and it sucks, it really seems like he just wanted to leave. The only thing that would have made him stay was if the Bills paid him more than anyone else. If you were running a company, would you want to pay someone a ton of money who didn't really want to be here?

I wish they would have tagged him but I can get spiteful. As some have mention, it's hard to trade a guy with the franchise tag because they don't have a long term deal in place. This is just disappointing and I hope that the Bills can once again become the place where players don't need top dollar to play. Disappointed big time.

Transition tag was used twice this year; should have been 3. Could have had the right to match any offer...

I just see this being one of the last nails in our coffin....sad

Transition tag I 100% agree with, we should have used that on Byrd. There's almost no downside to using it.

Edited by BlueFire

Doug Whaley (mis)quoted Dumb and Dumber in his press conference.

As they say in the movie, "there is always a chance." - Doug Whaley

This is not a good sign.

:doh:

Edited by Why So Serious?

What are you talking about? A team can't just "get" Byrd if he's franchise tagged. The whole point of tagging him is to either keep him for an extra year or so that another NFL team would have to offer you a trade deal.

The point of a franchise tag is an extension to work out a long term deal, end of. If that can't be worked out then a trade is the next possibility. If that then doesn't work out, why spin your wheels? The reason the price goes up is that it is trying to force a team/player to work out a deal, not keep renting that player for a year.

The funny thing is, this same situation played out in New England* last year with Wes Welker. He was franchised in 2012, they couldn't come to a long term deal, became a FA in 2013. And reportedly he would have gotten more money if he stayed in NE but he was determined to test FA and his worth.

Transition tag I 100% agree with, we should have used that on Byrd. There's almost no downside to using it.

Not exactly. What's the benefit? So that if another team offers him a big deal, we can match it? We already offered him what we believe to be the best we could, and wanted, to offer -- and he rejected it. There is no advantage here to using the transition tag.

C.Biscuit said it well above -- this is just disappointing, that's all. I wanted to see Byrd stay in the defense. But, as they say, "you can't always get what you want." Well, unless you're Byrd.

I'm coming around to seeing why it didn't make a ton of sense to use the franchise tag. The Bills probably made their best offer, and Byrd refused. Finding a trade partner would be very difficult, because unless Byrd really wanted that trade partner, that team is looking at getting a player on the franchise tag who will probably sit out training camp and the first part of the season just like he did last year. Something the Bills don't want to go through again, with a new defensive coordinator and potentially a new system.

F it, time to move on.

Not exactly. What's the benefit? So that if another team offers him a big deal, we can match it? We already offered him what we believe to be the best we could, and wanted, to offer -- and he rejected it. There is no advantage here to using the transition tag.

C.Biscuit said it well above -- this is just disappointing, that's all. I wanted to see Byrd stay in the defense. But, as they say, "you can't always get what you want." Well, unless you're Byrd.

I'm coming around to seeing why it didn't make a ton of sense to use the franchise tag. The Bills probably made their best offer, and Byrd refused. Finding a trade partner would be very difficult, because unless Byrd really wanted that trade partner, that team is looking at getting a player on the franchise tag who will probably sit out training camp and the first part of the season just like he did last year. Something the Bills don't want to go through again, with a new defensive coordinator and potentially a new system.

F it, time to move on.

Well said. And this is where you see if it's the same old Bills. Because the old Bills would use their 1st round pick on a S. Hopefully this Bills target their needs (WR, TE, Oline, LB in some order). IMO, you aren't replacing Byrd with a S. He's one of the best. But you can ease his loss with another pass rusher and LB. I also would try and find a Byrd like prospect. A slower corner who has good balls skills and make him a S.

F it, time to move on.

What if they thought the most he was worth around the league was 9m a year, and they were willing to pay that because they thought he was amongst the very best, and they weren't going to overpay or give into Parker and Byrd's inflated idea of what they believe the market would bear. Then they found out several other teams believe he is worth that much and they were a little off in their prediction? They would then have the option of saying okay, maybe he is worth 10.

I'm glad Byrd was here and I wish him well

jairus byrd@jairusbyrd 2h
    Early morning headed to ESPN today.. Have a blessed day

Jonathan Meeks@lucky_lefty5 1h
    @jairusbyrd love you bro!! Keep being a role model.

[*]

jairus byrd@jairusbyrd 1h

@lucky_lefty5 love you too bro, you got greatness in you.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So as a business owner you'd be willing to pay an employee over 8 mil a year who is likely to hold out, sit out and hates working for you? Someone who may or may not be detriment to the team out of sheer spite?

Interesting.

2 questions for you.

1. Do you own a business and 2. Are you hiring?

Because I can half ass it for you and call out all year if your willing to pay me 8 mil out of spite.

What if they thought the most he was worth around the league was 9m a year, and they were willing to pay that because they thought he was amongst the very best, and they weren't going to overpay or give into Parker and Byrd's inflated idea of what they believe the market would bear. Then they found out several other teams believe he is worth that much and they were a little off in their prediction? They would then have the option of saying okay, maybe he is worth 10.

I honestly think the Bills sat down and decided what they thought he is worth to them, not to the league as a whole, and made the decision not to go above that. If he leaves and gets more than what they offered, then they're justified because they didn't want to pay that much. If he goes elsewhere for the same or less than what they offered, then they're justified because he obviously didn't want to be here.

I think Whaley is being straightforward when he says they "place a value on a person or player." Not exactly the same, but kind of like buying a car: you decide the most you'd be willing to pay before you go to the dealer, and if they won't come down to that price, you stick to your guns and walk, because otherwise you're going against your plan.

I honestly think the Bills sat down and decided what they thought he is worth to them, not to the league as a whole, and made the decision not to go above that. If he leaves and gets more than what they offered, then they're justified because they didn't want to pay that much. If he goes elsewhere for the same or less than what they offered, then they're justified because he obviously didn't want to be here.

I think Whaley is being straightforward when he says they "place a value on a person or player." Not exactly the same, but kind of like buying a car: you decide the most you'd be willing to pay before you go to the dealer, and if they won't come down to that price, you stick to your guns and walk, because otherwise you're going against your plan.

I wish more people understood this.

Except they tried all last off season to find a trade partner and weren't able to.

You are aware as well, to appease Byrd, he would have to actual want to go to the team he's being traded to. It's simple, Byrd won't sign the tender, and therefore the Bills can trade him if he isn't under contract, even if the Bills have lined up a couple teams. Byrd can do exactly what he did last year and not sign it. Then he can pull the PF card out and sit for the first 10 games.

Once his contract was locked in, the Bills could do nothing last year. They couldn't untag him, sign him to a different deal, or trade him.

I understand that but it doesnt always work that way. It you are willing to pay 10 but think no one else is likely to go more than 9 because that is what you think the market will bear, you dont pay him 10 because that is your highest number. You pay the least you can to retain him. You place a 100$ limit on an ebay bid and that is the most you will pay but youre not going to start with that and deny yourself the very real possibility that you will win the bidding that stops at 90.

Agents and teams know in general what the market will bear and a lot of times they know beforehand. But there is also a lot of horsetrading and misinformation being put out and until the offers are made, you dont know what is what he is actually worth.

Once his contract was locked in, the Bills could do nothing last year. They couldn't untag him, sign him to a different deal, or trade him.

Yea, I was referring up until the July 15th deadline. After that point they can't do anything, but up until then they could entertain trade offers. But Byrd would have to then sign the tender for them to trade him, basically meaning Byrd would have to approve the team otherwise he could just not sign the tender, much like he did last season. Then the Bills wouldn't be able to do anything as you say.

I'm confused by this ^

You say in one sentence that the team pays FAs too much but don't pay their own, and in the next sentence you mention a guy (Kelsay) that was drafted by the Bills and given two massive contract extensions that were widely panned as over-paying.

I'm sure you're making a salient point; I'm just not following is all...

Maybe it's a protest similar to, "But, I got all the options on my Hyundai Accent!" when the rich kid drives up to the school parking lot in his new Mercedes McLaren.