Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

The fact is, whether the Bills made Byrd the highest paid safety in NFL history or let him walk, they were going to get crucified. Just depends upon which side of the fence you happen to fall. Whether you blame the Bills for this or not, it was a no win situation. The perfect "crap storm", if you will.

The fact is, that was a POSSIBLE outcome that was made certain by what they did today, which is a big mistake, IMO. By tagging him, that was just a probability not a certainty. If it were up to me, I would have tagged him and tried to make a trade. If none were to be had that was worth it, I would have kept him and made him play. Some say he wouldn't, but I predict he'd play at least the 10 games he played this year, and probably 14-16.

As much as I'd like to blame the Bills' FO on this, I feel like Byrd had all of the leverage and put us in a position to either overpay or let him walk. I know there are a lot of armchair GMs on this board, but honestly, if you understood the extent of what was being asked vs return, you wouldn't have a better plan either.

Yes, the tag was the better plan. It's inarguable, IMO. Even if down the line we let him go for nothing like we are doing today.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whaley is a !@#$ing idiot and needs to be fired. You don't let a guy like him just walk. The tag is there for a reason.

If he isn't going to take a deal to stay here that may have made him the highest paid safety in the league, what the hell makes you think he'd even play under a tag???? They didn't tag him because they must (correctly) think that they can get a good compensatory pick from him for whatever other team pays him a boatload of money.

i think that's the first time the transition tag has been mentioned here. if they were at a all serious about byrd, that tag we be a no brainer. the only reason to not use it would be to not confirm that they really aren't serious. it removes any question that it's about anything but the money. so, it's obviously about the money.

i certainly hope a reporter asks the question.

the answer logistically is that it would take him out of the comp pick formula i believe

you make me ashamed to be a bills fan

Why?

How do his remarks have anything to do with you as a Bills fan or Bills fans in general?

It's one guy on a message board...You're feeding the troll...Don't be a drama queen... ;)

If he isn't going to take a deal to stay here that may have made him the highest paid safety in the league, what the hell makes you think he'd even play under a tag???? They didn't tag him because they must (correctly) think that they can get a good compensatory pick from him for whatever other team pays him a boatload of money.

You mean like the compensatory pick we got for Levitre? Oh wait, we washed that one down the drain when we signed Alan Branch.

It's looking more and more like Whaley got played.

The fact is, that was a POSSIBLE outcome that was made certain by what they did today, which is a big mistake, IMO. By tagging him, that was just a probability not a certainty. If it were up to me, I would have tagged him and tried to make a trade. If none were to be had that was worth it, I would have kept him and made him play. Some say he wouldn't, but I predict he'd play at least the 10 games he played this year, and probably 14-16.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have tagged him, but I think you're crazy if you think he'd have played 14-16 games. This had 10-game vacation written all over it.

You mean like the compensatory pick we got for Levitre? Oh wait, we washed that one down the drain when we signed Alan Branch.

why does everyone really still believe Whaley was incolve d?

The NFL has yet to award comp picks, so there's still a solid chance they get one.

Also, am I reading correctly that your opinion is that it's better to not sign anyone and hope you get a comp pick than to try to make the team better?

why does everyone really still believe Whaley was incolve d?

I'm certain he was...the Bills have a chief negotiator, just like every team. That doesn't mean that the GM wasn't involved at all.

Edited by thebandit27

The NFL has yet to award comp picks, so there's still a solid chance they get one.

Also, am I reading correctly that your opinion is that it's better to not sign anyone and hope you get a comp pick than to try to make the team better?

i dont think they qualify by our last tally.

Whaley is a !@#$ing idiot and needs to be fired. You don't let a guy like him just walk. The tag is there for a reason.

What good is that going to do? They tried that strategy last year, got nowhere on the negotiations, didn't trade him and they got 1/2 season out of the player. This year would be the same thing but with an even more toxic relationship impacting the locker room.

The Bills aren't willing to offer top dollar and that's all Byrd is interested in. No reason to expend more time and money on a player who isn't part of the future plans. Move on and start to figure out how else to spend the money.

If the reports are true that Byrd and his agent are still holding the team hostage then see ya Byrd, don't let the door hit u on the way out. The team converted Williams and drafted two safeties last yr to help with the transition. Although there could be some drop off in terms of overall skill I really think the money will be better spent on the offensive side and/or perhaps on a run stuffing LB

We're not getting a comp pick for Levitre. We lost 2 people (Levitre, Reinhart) and signed 2 people (Lawson, Branch). There is zero chance of getting a comp pick for Levitre.

And no, you are not reading my opinion correctly.