Trade-Down: How Far Would Be TOO Far?

Astrobot

I have been looking at trade-downs, talking to analysts for teams who haven't been getting whom they want, and did some simulations where I trade down different distances, focusing on teams with more than one RD2 pick for now.

Here's a trade with SF for their 30, 56, and 77. SF wants Jordan Matthews.

9 San Francisco Jordan Matthews WRF Vanderbilt

61 San Francisco Dion Bailey SS USC

30 Buffalo Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech

41 Buffalo Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee

56 Buffalo Bishop Sankey RBF Washington

73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama

77 Buffalo Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

105 Buffalo Mike Davis WRF Texas

137 Buffalo Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois

169 Buffalo Ben Gardner DE43 Stanford

201 Buffalo Calvin Barnett DT43 Oklahoma State

How far would you trade down if a team really wanted someone at 9??

If this helps, use this trade chart; it's easier.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at trade-downs, talking to analysts for teams who haven't been getting whom they want, and did some simulations where I trade down different distances, focusing on teams with more than one RD2 pick for now.

Here's a trade with SF for their 30, 56, and 77. SF wants Jordan Matthews.

9 San Francisco Jordan Matthews WRF Vanderbilt

61 San Francisco Dion Bailey SS USC

30 Buffalo Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech

41 Buffalo Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee

56 Buffalo Bishop Sankey RBF Washington

73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama

77 Buffalo Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

105 Buffalo Mike Davis WRF Texas

137 Buffalo Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois

169 Buffalo Ben Gardner DE43 Stanford

201 Buffalo Calvin Barnett DT43 Oklahoma State

How far would you trade down if a team really wanted someone at 9??

If this helps, use this trade chart; it's easier.

I would be comfortable going out of the 1st all together and acquiring a 2015 1st and another 2nd. This draft is deep and deep at the positions that the Bills need. I really like your SF trade above even though I am not a Sankey fan. I would want 4 picks in the 1st 100.

To clarify: Part of my reasoning for the 1st in 2015 is in case EJ doesn't work out. I think that the Bills will win at least 7 games next year regardless so they would not have a shot at the top QBs IMO. It would be nice to have that extra 1st to move up if necessary. If he develops then you have a young and talented roster & 2 1sts. Maybe you move up for someone else (Green-Beckham, Gurley)?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is the deepest draft in 10+ years. I would stockpile second round picks. So if a team offered 3 second round picks(high middle low), and a high 3rd I would strongly consider. Think about it - the bills are picking 9, 41, 73 now. So if we swapped out 9 for 33,45, 55, and 71- that would add 6 quality players selected in the first 73

Please stay in the top 10...we need top 10 talent.

Think about it - the bills are picking 9, 41, 73 now. So if we swapped out 9 for 33,45, 55, and 71- that would add 6 quality players selected in the first 73

so say 33 - Seferi-Jenkins our new starting TE

41 Shayne Shov- our new starting MLB

45 Cyris Richardson- our new starting G

55-Dee Ford- possible new starting OLB that can get to he passer

71-Carlos Hyde RB

73-Brandon Coleman WR

We would take down theAFC east with that draft

Since it is such a deep draft I would prefer a scenario where the Bills traded down multiple times. Something like trading down to 17 which would net the Bills 17 and 48. Then trading down from 17 to 22 which would net us 22 and 86. From that position the Bills would have 22, 41, 48, 73, and 86. Using Drafttek rankings my draft would look something like this:

22: Taylor Lewan OT

41: Kelvin Benjamin WR

48: Troy Niklas TE

73: Gabe Jackson OG

86: Chris Borland LB

Going strictly off of the rankings and picking players that were ranked at or lower than our selections (according to drafttek) I think that would be a heck of a draft. RT, G, Tall WR, TE, and LB all are upgraded and that is pretty much all of our current needs. The second round is a money round this year and I would like to have at least one extra crack at it.

Edited by section122

Since it is such a deep draft I would prefer a scenario where the Bills traded down multiple times. Something like trading down to 17 which would net the Bills 17 and 48. Then trading down from 17 to 22 which would net us 22 and 86. From that position the Bills would have 22, 41, 48, 73, and 86. Using Drafttek rankings my draft would look something like this:

22: Taylor Lewan OT

41: Kelvin Benjamin WR

48: Troy Niklas TE

73: Gabe Jackson OG

86: Chris Borland LB

Going strictly off of the rankings and picking players that were ranked at or lower than our selections (according to drafttek) I think that would be a heck of a draft. RT, G, Tall WR, TE, and LB all are upgraded and that is pretty much all of our current needs. The second round is a money round this year and I would like to have at least one extra crack at it.

I know those are Draftek's rankings...I believe that all of those 5 will be gone by the picks you have them being selected at here.

Lewan is probably top 15

Benjamin top 25

Niklas top 45

Jackson by the end of the 2nd

Borland top 50

I know those are Draftek's rankings...I believe that all of those 5 will be gone by the picks you have them being selected at here.

Lewan is probably top 15

Benjamin top 25

Niklas top 45

Jackson by the end of the 2nd

Borland top 50

It is so hard to make any projections before pro day and combine performances. I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the names there. That said I've seen Jackson in the 3rd multiple times throughout projections, Lewan would surprise me as a top 15 pick, Borland's size/abilities may hamper him a bit, etc... Still very early in the process and I had the ability to scroll down before making picks. Kind of why I went Benjamin over ASJ as I knew Niklas was there. Call me a cheater :pirate::P

I think a very doable trade is with the Rams at 13 (will they partner again this year?). We'd get their 3rd (75th) according to the draft value chart, which would give the Bills 4 picks in the top 75. I don't think I'd go further back. I want to be picking ahead of the other AFCE teams.

I think a very doable trade is with the Rams at 13 (will they partner again this year?). We'd get their 3rd (75th) according to the draft value chart, which would give the Bills 4 picks in the top 75. I don't think I'd go further back. I want to be picking ahead of the other AFCE teams.

Not sure the Rams have any reason to move up. They have the #2 pick, and even if they move back from there, I doubt they'd drop out of the top 10, so it's likely that they have their pick of who they want in the top 10.

Picking at 13, it's not as though there will be too many players gone by the time they pick again.

Not sure the Rams have any reason to move up. They have the #2 pick, and even if they move back from there, I doubt they'd drop out of the top 10, so it's likely that they have their pick of who they want in the top 10.

Picking at 13, it's not as though there will be too many players gone by the time they pick again.

Unless they have their heart's set on a tackle (Matthews or Robinson)? I suspect that Watkins is their pick at 2. If they can get Watkins and Matthews I would imagine that they would be thrilled. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Unless they have their heart's set on a tackle (Matthews or Robinson)? I suspect that Watkins is their pick at 2. If they can get Watkins and Matthews I would imagine that they would be thrilled.

Could be...I had assumed one of two scenarios:

1. Clowney goes #1 overall, and the Rams trade back with whoever wants the top QB (i.e. Cleveland for Manziel or Oakland/Minnesota for whoever)

2. A QB goes #1 overall, and St. Louis takes Clowney at #2

Could be...I had assumed one of two scenarios:

1. Clowney goes #1 overall, and the Rams trade back with whoever wants the top QB (i.e. Cleveland for Manziel or Oakland/Minnesota for whoever)

2. A QB goes #1 overall, and St. Louis takes Clowney at #2

I am with you. Unless they plan on Watkins or Clowney at 2 they would be really stupid to remain in that spot. Cleveland (but also Oakland or even Minnesota) would love to get their pick of the QBs at 2.

I would be comfortable going out of the 1st all together and acquiring a 2015 1st and another 2nd. This draft is deep and deep at the positions that the Bills need. I really like your SF trade above even though I am not a Sankey fan. I would want 4 picks in the 1st 100.

To clarify: Part of my reasoning for the 1st in 2015 is in case EJ doesn't work out. I think that the Bills will win at least 7 games next year regardless so they would not have a shot at the top QBs IMO. It would be nice to have that extra 1st to move up if necessary. If he develops then you have a young and talented roster & 2 1sts. Maybe you move up for someone else (Green-Beckham, Gurley)?

This is a good idea. Count me in.

I think it will depend on how things go at the top of the draft. If teams start reaching for qb's and people we had at the top of the board fall to us then definitely go get them if we feel they are day 1 impact players. If other teams grab our top guys and there isn't much of a drop off between who is available and the next few guys at that position then I'm all about trading. It obviously worked out really well for us last year. For the first time in a long time I actually trust our organization after the great draft they put together last year so whatever they do I have faith that it's been well thought out