Trade-Down: How Far Would Be TOO Far?

Astrobot

Thanks for running that one 'Stro. I really like the top 5 guys. General question for everyone (knowing that needs may be filled in FA)...is 105 too late to begin trying to address the O-line?

I think if

A) Hairston is back at full strength

B) Hairston or Pears can play LG

then 105 is a fine place to start because we have at least upgraded the line a little. If those are not true I think it should be earlier, maybe at 73 in Astro's sim.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it depends on what happens in FA...but if they do not address LG or RT in free agency prior to the draft, then I'd definitely go for a LG before the end of round 3.

Some great stuff here. Thanks, as always, Astro!

Even if we don't have any glaring needs -as some proclaim, we STILL only won 6 games and we enjoyed the first really good Draft last year in many years. I suppose if the team is presented an offer they can't refuse, then jump. Otherwise, I'd prefer to give this new staff another solid 'at bat' with our allotted picks. Great young depth at already solid positions is some rarified air around here I'd like to breathe.

Some great stuff here. Thanks, as always, Astro!

Even if we don't have any glaring needs -as some proclaim, we STILL only won 6 games and we enjoyed the first really good Draft last year in many years. I suppose if the team is presented an offer they can't refuse, then jump. Otherwise, I'd prefer to give this new staff another solid 'at bat' with our allotted picks. Great young depth at already solid positions is some rarified air around here I'd like to breathe.

Part of the reason for the great draft was because they traded back and got an extra 2nd AKA Kiko. It is probably the right play again this year if the draft board plays out as many are expecting.

Makes perfect sense, but if you draft an OT with the skills you describe - chances are you're keeping him at tackle because of where you took him. It's the Nix opinion on guards that I'm not a fan of. I think you understand that there's more to the interior line than a place to hide poor tackles. If there are true guards in the draft that lack the finesse of the ND player, but are maulers with the potential you describe.. I'm very cool with that. Just please, no more guys who lack the techniques and ability to play the position. Imagine how effective our center could be with some talent next to him..

Yes, I'm not big on the "hide an inadequate tackle at guard" theory either. I am, however, a huge proponent of taking a college tackle, who if not for certain physical limitations (i.e. height, arm length, or some combination thereof) might otherwise play tackle in the NFL, and moving him to guard. I think guys like Levitre and Jahri Evans are great examples of that.

My ideal conversion candidate this year is Joel Bitonio from Nevada. College tackle that comes in a shade under 6'4" and right around 302 lbs with 33" arms. He's probably a bit short/slight to play tackle, but has that nice kickslide you like in a pulling guard and plays with great leverage. He's also deceptively strong and has a nasty streak. That's the kind of conversion guy I think you'd like quite a bit.

Yes, I'm not big on the "hide an inadequate tackle at guard" theory either. I am, however, a huge proponent of taking a college tackle, who if not for certain physical limitations (i.e. height, arm length, or some combination thereof) might otherwise play tackle in the NFL, and moving him to guard. I think guys like Levitre and Jahri Evans are great examples of that.

My ideal conversion candidate this year is Joel Bitonio from Nevada. College tackle that comes in a shade under 6'4" and right around 302 lbs with 33" arms. He's probably a bit short/slight to play tackle, but has that nice kickslide you like in a pulling guard and plays with great leverage. He's also deceptively strong and has a nasty streak. That's the kind of conversion guy I think you'd like quite a bit.

Ok.. I'm getting all that - and thanks for the info - but I like guards that play low and hard.. a lot of these ex-OTs never lose the desire to play high, including Levitre. now this actually may be more effective in an O that expects to pass 2 out of every 3 downs, but I'd like to see us with the personnel gives us more options in our run game. I look forward to picking your brain about the guys we bring to camp this summer :thumbsup:

Ok.. I'm getting all that - and thanks for the info - but I like guards that play low and hard.. a lot of these ex-OTs never lose the desire to play high, including Levitre. now this actually may be more effective in an O that expects to pass 2 out of every 3 downs, but I'd like to see us with the personnel gives us more options in our run game. I look forward to picking your brain about the guys we bring to camp this summer :thumbsup:

Xavier Su'a-Filo from UCLA is by far my favorite of the "brand" of player of which you speak.

If you check out Draftbreakdown.com there's some video of him.

He's probably going to go somewhere in the 25-35 range, so unless Buffalo trades he's probably not an option.

You might also like Gabe Jackson from Miss St--he's more of a mauler though.