QB turmoil possible in Buffalo

BeastMode54

I think Woods will be good, never great but always good. Goodwin is a big play guy that showed flashes of brilliance and I don't think that TJ Graham makes the team. They will continue to add players around EJ this offseason on the line and at least 1 pass catcher IMO. At the end of the day if EJ isn't better it doesn't really matter. He needs to develop.

On this we can agree (that Manuel has to get better), but I DO expect him to get better. MOST rookies, regardless of position, get better in year two - especially if they have a good work-ethic as Manuel reportedly has. Can someone point to a more inexperienced/below average receiving crew than Manuel had last year?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On this we can agree (that Manuel has to get better), but I DO expect him to get better. MOST rookies, regardless of position, get better in year two - especially if they have a good work-ethic as Manuel reportedly has. Can someone point to a more inexperienced/below average receiving crew than Manuel had last year?

The Jets

The Jets are far worse.

I think that the Bills receiving core is average and improving. If the gey a true number 1 they could be really good to great. I hope that EJ develops. If he does this team just contend in the division.

And how did their rookie QB look?

He had great moments (more than EJ) and awful moments (more than EJ). I don't think that Geno is the answer. I also don't think that he is the character guy that you need at that position.

The Jets are far worse.

I think that the Bills receiving core is average and improving. If the gey a true number 1 they could be really good to great. I hope that EJ develops. If he does this team just contend in the division.

I respectfully disagree. I'd put last year's Bills receiving corp in the bottom 25% of the league (easily). Their ONLY experienced WR (SJ) was out or playing injured much of the time. Woods and Graham were rookies. TJ Graham started at WR and had less than 20 receptions for the whole year (for God's sake!). Nobody else on the WR roster even had ONE NFL reception going into the year.

I do agree that Woods should continue to get better. I *think*/hope that Goodwin will become a good complementary weapon. The rest of the WR corp I could live without. I don't see potential in any of the rest of them (but I am not a scout).

I respectfully disagree. I'd put last year's Bills receiving corp in the bottom 25% of the league (easily). Their ONLY experienced WR (SJ) was out or playing injured much of the time. Woods and Graham were rookies. TJ Graham started at WR and had less than 20 receptions for the whole year (for God's sake!). Nobody else on the WR roster even had ONE NFL reception going into the year.

I do agree that Woods should continue to get better. I *think*/hope that Goodwin will become a good complementary weapon. The rest of the WR corp I could live without. I don't see potential in any of the rest of them (but I am not a scout).

They aren't great but I have them ahead of: Jacksonville, Seattle, Baltimore, Jets, Oakland, Minnesota, St. Louis and Carolina. Also, they played two rookies that showed signs and hopefully will improve in year 2. WR used to always be a position that took a while to transition. It still is to some degree.

Woods, Goodwin and Stevie all could be quality NFL receivers. I am with you on the rest of them. There isn't another NFL receiver in the bunch (maybe Barden).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

They aren't great but I have them ahead of: Jacksonville, Seattle, Baltimore, Jets, Oakland, Minnesota, St. Louis and Carolina. Also, they played two rookies that showed signs and hopefully will improve in year 2. WR used to always be a position that took a while to transition. It still is to some degree.

Woods, Goodwin and Stevie all could be quality NFL receivers. I am with you on the rest of them. There isn't another NFL receiver in the bunch (maybe Barden).

We'll, even if we agree on those 8 teams, that IS the bottom 25% of the 32 team league.

I'd say that Torrey Smith is better than any Bills WR, at this point. I also think that Dallas Clark/Dennis Pitta/Ed Dixon are better than the Bills' TEs. Jacoby Jones was also on the Ravens.

Greg Jennings, Jerome Simpson and 1st round pick Cordarrelle Patterson with John Carlson and Kyle Rudolph at TE - I'd say they measured up well vs the Bills' receivers last year.

I could make an argument for Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Brandon Lafelle and Ted Ginn being as good,too.

My point was that the Bills simply need to hedge their bet at the all-important QB position. If I were the Bills' HC I would not want to go into any season with only Manuel as my legit starting QB.

BTW, the Bills had the exact same thought, which is why they signed and paid K. Kolb. Kolb hasn't worked out so it's time to move in a new direction.

There were rumors last year that the Steelers wanted to move Rberger.

There will be teams that will be willing to acquire Byrd and SJ.

I expect the Bills to move Byrd because he won't want to sign with them.

I expect the Bills to move SJ because he's not reliable and makes too much money.

We'll, even if we agree on those 8 teams, that IS the bottom 25% of the 32 team league.

I'd say that Torrey Smith is better than any Bills WR, at this point. I also think that Dallas Clark/Dennis Pitta/Ed Dixon are better than the Bills' TEs. Jacoby Jones was also on the Ravens.

Greg Jennings, Jerome Simpson and 1st round pick Cordarrelle Patterson with John Carlson and Kyle Rudolph at TE - I'd say they measured up well vs the Bills' receivers last year.

I could make an argument for Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Brandon Lafelle and Ted Ginn being as good,too.

I hear you. You could also make a case for Miami or KC. The Bills need to get better at receiver for sure. I have been hoping for Watkins.

EJ played "half as poorly" in about 9.5 out of 16 games compared to Geno having played most of them. I think both QBs have potential in the league but have to work hard to attain it, and they have to be in the right situations.

Regardless, EJ sits +3% on completions, 11 points better in QBR, and didn't throw more INTs than TDs as did Geno.

EJ played better in crunch time situations more than once, and his numbers are really ruined by the TB game - an admitted low point for him.

I expect a lot more with better health and a full offseason of NFL work.

But you know, they were practically the same to anyone who doesn't bother to actually look at the numbers.

Geno and EJ both suck at this point and there is no way around it. Now I get because the Buffalo Bills reached for a guy in the first that could have been there in the second, Homers...errr fans... MUST have EJ work out. I mean its not like the fanbase has ever made extreme and ridiculous excuses for below average QB talent before JUST Because the QB was on the Bills ....right?

If you aren't concerned about our QB situation, you're high on the Kool Aid. We are mostly relying on hope and do not have a solid reliable foundation.

That is exactly why we need to target another QB in the draft . A lot of fans think it is to soon to count EJ a bust which it is but it is never a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket !!

Good teams don't continue to get good depth at most positions on the team by finding one guy & sitting all future plans on the one player unless it is a Andrew Luck !

Good teams are constantly picking up players that they believe have more than what it takes to step up if needed & take over what ever the position might be & not miss a beat QB included !!

Why do we think the Pats have been in the post season 10 years running ? Because they don't sit on one player & expect him to be that guy for the next ten years, they keep bringing in other guys weather it be for depth, future trade bait or what ever it is they need ...

Every time they lose or trade some one every one goes here you go this is the beginning of the end & what do they do they just continue where they left off & go to the post season once again ...

Edited by T master

Geno and EJ both suck at this point and there is no way around it. Now I get because the Buffalo Bills reached for a guy in the first that could have been there in the second, Homers...errr fans... MUST have EJ work out. I mean its not like the fanbase has ever made extreme and ridiculous excuses for below average QB talent before JUST Because the QB was on the Bills ....right?

Whatever makes you feel good, dude.

That is exactly why we need to target another QB in the draft . A lot of fans think it is to soon to count EJ a bust which it is but it is never a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket !!

Good teams don't continue to get good depth at most positions on the team by finding one guy & sitting all future plans on the one player unless it is a Andrew Luck !

Good teams are constantly picking up players that they believe have more than what it takes to step up if needed & take over what ever the position might be & not miss a beat QB included !!

Why do we think the Pats have been in the post season 10 years running ? Because they don't sit on one player & expect him to be that guy for the next ten years, they keep bringing in other guys weather it be for depth, future trade bait or what ever it is they need ...

Every time they lose or trade some one every one goes here you go this is the beginning of the end & what do they do they just continue where they left off & go to the post season once again ...

Again, how many teams in NFL history have drafted a QB in the 1st round the year after drafting a QB in the 1st round? Not many. There's a reason for that.

And most people aren't thinking clearly on this issue. There are 5 teams who pick before the Bills in the draft who need a QB. If all 5 take a QB, the Bills are looking at the 6th best prospect. Even if say, 4 go, do the Bills want that 5th or later prospect, seeing as how the 5th QB needy team passed on him? What about even the 4th best prospect, considering 2 QB needy teams passed on him?

EJ is the starter going into 2014. Accept it and hope he does well. If he does, great. If not, it's QB time again in 2015.

It's flawed logic to hope and pray that Manuel will work out for us at QB in 2014. The Bills need to assess all of their options this year to bring in another QB who is capable of starting in the NFL. Even if they get the 4th or 5th best QB in the 2014 draft that player may be better than Manuel....or at least as good. Maybe they sign or trade for a vet QB instead. That's what I would be more inclined to do.

Manuel/Lewis/Tuel already give them young guys to develop. Bring in a really good vet QB to show them the ropes.

The Bills are NEVER going to get past 8-8 and make the playoffs without a really good starting QB. I hope that player is Manuel, but it doesn't have to be.

It's flawed logic to hope and pray that Manuel will work out for us at QB in 2014. The Bills need to assess all of their options this year to bring in another QB who is capable of starting in the NFL. Even if they get the 4th or 5th best QB in the 2014 draft that player may be better than Manuel....or at least as good. Maybe they sign or trade for a vet QB instead. That's what I would be more inclined to do.

Manuel/Lewis/Tuel already give them young guys to develop. Bring in a really good vet QB to show them the ropes.

The Bills are NEVER going to get past 8-8 and make the playoffs without a really good starting QB. I hope that player is Manuel, but it doesn't have to be.

Likely not considering even the top 3 QBs (Manziel, Bortles, and Bridgewater) have major question marks themselves. But I don't disagree with getting a veteran backup, if Kolb doesn't return.

And one of these times they'll be right. You find comfort in our demise at the position, does that make you a hero?

And how did their rookie QB look?

I have gone back and watched a lot of Geno Smith from this past season...I will say, while EJ never looked as bad as Geno at his worst, he never looked as good as Geno at his best. I think it is still very possible that both these guys turn out to be very good, reliable, starters...but both need work.