who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be happy if the Bills drafted one of the top three offensive tackles (Robinson, Mathews or Lewan). Should be ready to start at RT from day one and could slide over to LT if Glenn leaves the Bills in free agency in a couple of years.

I fully expect the bills to trade back from the 9th spot after watching the work out today. None of the TE's blew me away in the likes of say Vernon Davis. Trading back, we could and should probably look to get Matin or Su'a-Filo and then Morgan Moses.

Something to think about with the Byrd Contract. The "non-exclusive" tag is just that; other teams can negotiate long-term contract offers with the player until July 15. If the player signs one of these offers, his original club can either match that offer, or allow the player to leave for his new club—and be compensated with two first-round draft picks from the new club.

There are a lot of rumors and smoke screens running around, especially with Cleveland at this point. I have not really looked at this option more than the last 5 minutes due to some mention of the Browns being interested and the Bills not letting Byrd leave for free. The browns have 2 first round picks. Would it be crazy if the Bills used the non exclusive tag, and go both of the browns first round picks from this year? Or the 26th this year and a pick next year. Anyone sure how the first rounds are given in tag contracts? Is it first rounds as they stand? or can Cleveland and the Bills do something as follows:

Bills Tag(non-exclusive) Byrd

Cleveland makes and Offer and Byrd goes to the Browns - Bills Get 2 First round Draft Picks

Cleveland Trades back the #4 spot for another first round pick in the 2015 season with a team - ( have not really looked at who might want to jump up to 4)

Bills get 26 this year from the Browns + whatever #1 comes second in next years draft that the Browns pick up in the above trade OR Bills get 4+26 this year (I can dream)

I predict the Bills take TE Ebron. Ebron is like adding the big WR that we desperately need and a TE at the same time. Unless Clowney or Mack falls to us.

No question Ebron adds a dimension to the Bills Offense that is exciting to think about...

If the top 7 contains Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins...which I fully expect it will...That leaves 2 from Matthews, Ebron, and Lewan available at #9...The Bills will have a tough decision to make for certain... B-)

I fully expect the bills to trade back from the 9th spot after watching the work out today. None of the TE's blew me away in the likes of say Vernon Davis. Trading back, we could and should probably look to get Matin or Su'a-Filo and then Morgan Moses.

Something to think about with the Byrd Contract. The "non-exclusive" tag is just that; other teams can negotiate long-term contract offers with the player until July 15. If the player signs one of these offers, his original club can either match that offer, or allow the player to leave for his new club—and be compensated with two first-round draft picks from the new club.

There are a lot of rumors and smoke screens running around, especially with Cleveland at this point. I have not really looked at this option more than the last 5 minutes due to some mention of the Browns being interested and the Bills not letting Byrd leave for free. The browns have 2 first round picks. Would it be crazy if the Bills used the non exclusive tag, and go both of the browns first round picks from this year? Or the 26th this year and a pick next year. Anyone sure how the first rounds are given in tag contracts? Is it first rounds as they stand? or can Cleveland and the Bills do something as follows:

Bills Tag(non-exclusive) Byrd

Cleveland makes and Offer and Byrd goes to the Browns - Bills Get 2 First round Draft Picks

Cleveland Trades back the #4 spot for another first round pick in the 2015 season with a team - ( have not really looked at who might want to jump up to 4)

Bills get 26 this year from the Browns + whatever #1 comes second in next years draft that the Browns pick up in the above trade OR Bills get 4+26 this year (I can dream)

I can't imagine the Browns giving up a #1 for the right to pay Byrd $9 million per year...But here's to hoping... :thumbsup:

I think a 2nd is far more likely... B-)

I predict the Bills take TE Ebron. Ebron is like adding the big WR that we desperately need and a TE at the same time. Unless Clowney or Mack falls to us.

I am 100% in agreement with this. I believe Ebron will have an immediate impact and will help EJ out. But ya if either one of Clowney or Mack should fall to us then you take them and move on. One of those three guys will be there for us. I would rather take the talent there then trade down despite how well it worked out for us last year.

I was thinking OT for a while but that won't happen unless they trade down. There are too many QB's that will be drafted in the first 6 picks. That pushes all the other talent down. Watkins, Mack, or hell even Clowney may be there at # 9. That should give us ample opportunity to trade down. Once they have an additional second round pick then they can go BPA.

No question Ebron adds a dimension to the Bills Offense that is exciting to think about...

If the top 7 contains Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins...which I fully expect it will...That leaves 2 from Matthews, Ebron, and Lewan available at #9...The Bills will have a tough decision to make for certain... B-)

I can't imagine the Browns giving up a #1 for the right to pay Byrd $9 million per year...But here's to hoping... :thumbsup:

I think a 2nd is far more likely... B-)

The Byrd trade scenarios are very pie-in-the-sky. Someone on this board that has been very reliable with inside info related that the highest offer Buffalo got for Byrd last year was a 4th rounder.

Two 1sts? No flippin' way.

As a practical matter, very few teams would trade a high pick for a chance to pay a S $9M/year. Not when they see guys like Calvin Pryor available in the top 20 of this draft and a guy like Deonne Buchanon available in the 2nd round.

I don't like taking OTs that high.

I think this year is different though , any of the top 3 would be great but after listening to Lewan's interview i really like the kids attitude !

He said he would play any where, & that he plays through the whistle, which he added some people see that as him being dirty but he said he wants to put his opponent in the dirt every play & we need a bit of nasty on our O line !!

Plus he said his job is to give the RB's a place to run & the QB enough time to stand in the pocket & make his reads . So i hope we go O line in the first cause it all starts up front & any of the top 3 is fine !!

I think this year is different though , any of the top 3 would be great but after listening to Lewan's interview i really like the kids attitude !

He said he would play any where, & that he plays through the whistle, which he added some people see that as him being dirty but he said he wants to put his opponent in the dirt every play & we need a bit of nasty on our O line !!

Plus he said his job is to give the RB's a place to run & the QB enough time to stand in the pocket & make his reads . So i hope we go O line in the first cause it all starts up front & any of the top 3 is fine !!

There is definitely more than one way to approach this thing...And I'm uncertain whether or not one is better than the other...It all depends on how Whaley and Marrone want to build this Offense...I think one of these top OT's should be a big boost to the O-line which should result in a better running game and more time for EJ...I also think receivers like Evans or Ebron put pressure on defenses and cause match-up issues...It all depends on how they want to go about it...I'm on the record already that I'll be happy with Matthews, Lewan, Evans, or Ebron at #9 (I'm eliminating Watkins and Robinson because I believe there is zero chance they'll be around at #9)...I think they all bring a potential boost to the Offense...Albeit in different ways... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

There is definitely more than one way to approach this thing...And I'm uncertain whether or not one is better than the other...It all depends on how Whaley and Marrone want to build this Offense...I think one of these top OT's should be a big boost to the O-line which should result in a better running game and more time for EJ...I also think receivers like Evans or Ebron put pressure on defenses and cause match-up issues...It all depends on how they want to go about it...I'm on the record already that I'll be happy with Matthews, Lewan, Evans, or Ebron at #9...I think they all bring a potential boost to the Offense...Albeit in different ways... B-)

one reason I think they should go with OT, and the Oline strategy build in general, is to be able to handle the Jets' Dline, specifically Richardson and Wilkerson. They controlled the line of scrimmage in both games. The bills need to draft an elite OT to handle Richardson, and I'd love to see that matchup for years to come--Lewan v Richardson. Obviously, they need a big upgrade at LG as well.

My prediction......

1. Bills will find some value in free agency. Maybe one or two guys for depth. Can't even begin to guess what position.

2. Tackle or LB in 1st RD

3. Tackle or LB in second round.

4. Here is where the Bills start looking for a TE but probably go BPA at WR. Just don't see the Bills going TE in the 1st 2 rounds....ever.

5. Byrd signs a long term contract with the Bills. While everyone loves speculating about Byrd's unhappiness, not once have I seen him bash the Bills and his ties to this team I think are strong. Call me overoptimistic, but I think Byrd and the FO find a place where they both can get it done.

one reason I think they should go with OT, and the Oline strategy build in general, is to be able to handle the Jets' Dline, specifically Richardson and Wilkerson. They controlled the line of scrimmage in both games. The bills need to draft an elite OT to handle Richardson, and I'd love to see that matchup for years to come--Lewan v Richardson. Obviously, they need a big upgrade at LG as well.

It's a great point...Divisional match-ups are key...And I do agree with Marrone that the ability to run the ball when you want to run it, not necessarily (or only) when that is what the Defense is giving you, is key... B-)

It's funny how as the combine has gone on people are open to a lot more. I for one was not an Evans guy and I have seen a lot of him. With that being said he had a great day. I was good with Amaro in the 2nd and he looked terrible IMO. At the end of the day if the Bills get good football players that help the team who really cares what position they play? There are a variety of ways that they can go to improve this team. I fully expect them to go BPA at 9 (if they don't trade down).

It's funny how as the combine has gone on people are open to a lot more. I for one was not an Evans guy and I have seen a lot of him. With that being said he had a great day. I was good with Amaro in the 2nd and he looked terrible IMO. At the end of the day if the Bills get good football players that help the team who really cares what position they play? There are a variety of ways that they can go to improve this team. I fully expect them to go BPA at 9 (if they don't trade down).

I agree, but if you have 3 players all rated within 1 point of each other, you've got to go with who you think helps you the most. The Bills will be faced with a choice between some very good players at significantly different positions, but with grades that are insignificantly different. That's a good position to be in.

I agree, but if you have 3 players all rated within 1 point of each other, you've got to go with who you think helps you the most. The Bills will be faced with a choice between some very good players at significantly different positions, but with grades that are insignificantly different. That's a good position to be in.

Luckily, the overall talent on the roster is up. The tiebreaker should always be the position that you are weakest at if players are graded the same. If the Bills have another free agency & draft like last year this will be a good roster. They need to put it together but there seems to be a plan and light at the end of the tunnel which we couldn't say a few years back.

2014 NFL combine: Value of QBs in question as OTs are climbing

3. Predictable rise of offensive tackles:"There's just less questions about these guys than some of the other talent."

http://www.cbssports...ts-are-climbing

Yet, the odds say one of these 3 will be a bust.

But the way are you in favor of the Bills drafting an OT? :nana:

Option A by a country mile

That's kind of the point (and I am not really an Evans fan). It is SO much easier to find RT than it is elite skill players. LT is a different story and the Bills do not need a LT. You could set up a lot of scenarios just like this (elite skill player + solid free agent RT vs. top tackle on the board and solid free agent WR) and end up with the same result.

2014 NFL combine: Value of QBs in question as OTs are climbing

3. Predictable rise of offensive tackles:"There's just less questions about these guys than some of the other talent."

http://www.cbssports...ts-are-climbing

I just don'ft think there is any way to ignore the fact that all three of the top OT's are considered better prospects than the kid that went #1 overall last year...I realize that goes for a few other prospects in this Draft at other positions as well...But if you're considering an OT, these guys may be too good to pass up... B-)

Which would you rather:

A) Sign Strief & draft Mike Evans

B) Sign Britt & draft Taylor Lewan

Is this even a question? Kenny Britt is one of the biggest morons to ever play football. He has to be one strike away from a year long suspension and I think he has one year of over 800 yards in his career. He was talked about as being one of the guys that quit this year in Tennessee. He might not even be in the NFL next year. But other than that, he's awesome. :)

On top of that, I think Lewan has the msot bust potential of the top Ts. I can see speed rushers eating him alive. Evans and Streif would be a dream.

I just don'ft think there is any way to ignore the fact that all three of the top OT's are considered better prospects than the kid that went #1 overall last year...I realize that goes for a few other prospects in this Draft at other positions as well...But if you're considering an OT, these guys may be too good to pass up... B-)

This is the hype about the draft though. EJ Manuel has the same exact measurements/ stats of Blake Bortles (EJ actually has the edge in some categories). Yet, EJ was a reach in the 1st and Bortles might go #1 overall??? IMO, the only undeniable talent is Greg Robinson and he really never had to pas block.

Next year's draft will be the best draft ever. It gets repeated every year.

That's kind of the point (and I am not really an Evans fan). It is SO much easier to find RT than it is elite skill players. LT is a different story and the Bills do not need a LT. You could set up a lot of scenarios just like this (elite skill player + solid free agent RT vs. top tackle on the board and solid free agent WR) and end up with the same result.

You're preaching to the choir Kirby. Spending a top pick on a RT or LG is a wasted resource IMO.

The only way I do it is if you're in the same position as KC/Jax last year: the OT is far and away the best player on the board and the long-term plan is to move said OT to LT

Which would you rather:

A) Sign Strief & draft Mike Evans

B) Sign Britt & draft Taylor Lewan

Neither...if Robinson or Lewan is there, you jump at them (barring Mack is still available which he won't be and I'm using the parameters of your scenario)...as evidenced by teams like NE and Seattle, you can take a no name bunch of WRs if you're winning in the trenches...maybe a better question would be, would you rather have EJ healthy throwing to a guy like Britt or 2nd Round Rookie WR, or a hobbled and banged up EJ - if even able to play - throwing to 1st Round Rookie WR? Once you invest in the Tackle position via Draft and FA Guard, you can talk about adding a top round talent at WR, but b/c WR is so deep this year, you'd be getting a normal mid to bottom 1st Round talent in the 2nd Round...a top tackle can save your QB, up your running game, and give the QB time to actually pass the ball...I like Evans, not as much as I value an OT though...

Neither...if Robinson or Lewan is there, you jump at them (barring Mack is still available which he won't be and I'm using the parameters of your scenario)...as evidenced by teams like NE and Seattle, you can take a no name bunch of WRs if you're winning in the trenches...maybe a better question would be, would you rather have EJ healthy throwing to a guy like Britt or 2nd Round Rookie WR, or a hobbled and banged up EJ - if even able to play - throwing to 1st Round Rookie WR? Once you invest in the Tackle position via Draft and FA Guard, you can talk about adding a top round talent at WR, but b/c WR is so deep this year, you'd be getting a normal mid to bottom 1st Round talent in the 2nd Round...a top tackle can save your QB, up your running game, and give the QB time to actually pass the ball...I like Evans, not as much as I value an OT though...

NE didn't go to the SB because they had no explosive playmakers.

I am just trying to throw out a realistic offseason scenario. So you would pick Lewan and Britt? These are the types of decisions that the Bills have to make. How about this:

A) Strief and Evans

B) Lewan and Golden Tate

You're preaching to the choir Kirby. Spending a top pick on a RT or LG is a wasted resource IMO.

The only way I do it is if you're in the same position as KC/Jax last year: the OT is far and away the best player on the board and the long-term plan is to move said OT to LT

Exactly!! Edited by Kirby Jackson

Seattle's OL was a disaster last year. Wilson ran for his life much of the time, and Lynch made most of his yards by himself. They used 8 different starters along the OL--not a single lineman starting 16 games; not a single OT started more than 8.

They averaged 4.3 YPC to Buffalo's 4.2, and allowed 44 sacks and 94 QB hits to Buffalo's 48/108.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_TOTAL_AVERAGE_YDS&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

They're the poster child for the argument that skill positions like QB and RB are more important than OL

NE didn't go to the SB because they had no explosive playmakers.

Ok...so other than the SB they lost when they had Randy Moss...tell me who were the other WRs on their SB winning teams? What did they do after NE? I'll be you can name more Defensive Players on those teams than you can their WRs? How about their RBs during that time?? Past their prime RBs...? Guys who had a year or two left to contribute? I'm more than willing to listen...

I am just trying to throw out a realistic offseason scenario. So you would pick Lewan and Britt? These are the types of decisions that the Bills have to make. How about this:

A) Strief and Evans

B) Lewan and Golden Tate

Exactly!!

Lewan and Golden Tate in taht scenario...b/c Tate can play, and Lewan will contribute not only in pass protection but also in the Run game...and Tate is a hell of a KR/PR as well

Seattle's OL was a disaster last year. Wilson ran for his life much of the time, and Lynch made most of his yards by himself. They used 8 different starters along the OL--not a single lineman starting 16 games; not a single OT started more than 8.

They averaged 4.3 YPC to Buffalo's 4.2, and allowed 44 sacks and 94 QB hits to Buffalo's 48/108.

http://www.nfl.com/s...qualified=false

They're the poster child for the argument that skill positions like QB and RB are more important than OL

First, Wilson is not a QB that wins games on his own (usually), look at the SB, their Defense and STs did that for them...is he a good QB? Absolutely, can't win without one (as we all know too well!), but he isn't a difference maker...as for RB, I disagree...Lynch is good, no doubt there..but put Chris Johnson or Spiller in that Offense or maybe more appropriately, Ben Tate or maybe even Trent Richardson, where running is the priority and the Defense keeps the ball in the Seattle Offense's hands and that changes their career trajectory signficantly...the OL had issues, but look at where they invested their Draft choices and priorities...Defensive Line, Okung at LT..and by design Wilson bootlegged much of the time, to compensate for some height issues.....you can't take stats and stick them in a vaccuum, you need stats, but put in some perspective...if you think the BILLS should draft a WR at 9, feel free...it's what we all do here, have and share our opinions...but saying that QB and RB is more important as a whole flies in the face of all things logical in football and is contrary to what nearly every other team in the NFL, most importantly the successful ones, actually practice....

First, Wilson is not a QB that wins games on his own (usually), look at the SB, their Defense and STs did that for them...is he a good QB? Absolutely, can't win without one (as we all know too well!), but he isn't a difference maker...as for RB, I disagree...Lynch is good, no doubt there..but put Chris Johnson or Spiller in that Offense or maybe more appropriately, Ben Tate or maybe even Trent Richardson, where running is the priority and the Defense keeps the ball in the Seattle Offense's hands and that changes their career trajectory signficantly...the OL had issues, but look at where they invested their Draft choices and priorities...Defensive Line, Okung at LT..and by design Wilson bootlegged much of the time, to compensate for some height issues.....you can't take stats and stick them in a vaccuum, you need stats, but put in some perspective...if you think the BILLS should draft a WR at 9, feel free...it's what we all do here, have and share our opinions...but saying that QB and RB is more important as a whole flies in the face of all things logical in football and is contrary to what nearly every other team in the NFL, most importantly the successful ones, actually practice....

I'm not saying that QB/RB are more important, just that looking at Seattle would lead you to believe that.

I think it's readily apparent that the most successful teams focus on getting a franchise QB and building the defense. If those 2 conditions are met, typically the rest can fall into place rather easily to make the team a perennial contender.

I'm not saying that QB/RB are more important, just that looking at Seattle would lead you to believe that.

I think it's readily apparent that the most successful teams focus on getting a franchise QB and building the defense. If those 2 conditions are met, typically the rest can fall into place rather easily to make the team a perennial contender.

To the second point, agreed....

As the combine winds down, I'm not sure much has changed in terms of the top picks.

It looks like 3 QBs, clowney, Robinson, and Mack as the top 6. It looks like the next 2 will be some combination of Barr, Watkins, and Mathews, and I hope Barr goes as one of the 2 picks before the Bills' pick, leaving either Watkins or Mathews at 9.

As the combine winds down, I'm not sure much has changed in terms of the top picks.

It looks like 3 QBs, clowney, Robinson, and Mack as the top 6. It looks like the next 2 will be some combination of Barr, Watkins, and Mathews, and I hope Barr goes as one of the 2 picks before the Bills' pick, leaving either Watkins or Mathews at 9.

I'm not at all convinced that 3 QBs go in the top 6--top 8 maybe.

I think the top 6 will be some combination of these 8: Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Manziel, Mack, Matthews, Lewan and Bridgewater.

I think--when all is said and done, Barr falls out of the top 10...maybe way out.

I also think one of the QBs--not sure which one yet--is in for a Geno Smith-like plunge.

Having this much talent at the top of the draft sure is fun!

I'm not at all convinced that 3 QBs go in the top 6--top 8 maybe.

I think the top 6 will be some combination of these 8: Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Manziel, Mack, Matthews, Lewan and Bridgewater.

I think--when all is said and done, Barr falls out of the top 10...maybe way out.

I also think one of the QBs--not sure which one yet--is in for a Geno Smith-like plunge.

Having this much talent at the top of the draft sure is fun!

I am almost in complete agreement with you. Barr seems like a guy that will slide. I just do not think that any of those 3 QBs falls out of the top 10. They have some questions for sure but teams are desperate for QB.

I am almost in complete agreement with you. Barr seems like a guy that will slide. I just do not think that any of those 3 QBs falls out of the top 10. They have some questions for sure but teams are desperate for QB.

Barr just seems so pedestrian to me...he doesn't pop off the screen when I watch video of him (I haven't seen any coach's tape, so that may have something to do with it), his workout showed very little explosion and underwhelming speed/strength etc.

I contrast him to Mack--whose game play was so astounding--and I look at the phenomenal explosion and speed he showed in his workouts, and I don't see how they're in the same league.

Barr just seems so pedestrian to me...he doesn't pop off the screen when I watch video of him (I haven't seen any coach's tape, so that may have something to do with it), his workout showed very little explosion and underwhelming speed/strength etc.

I contrast him to Mack--whose game play was so astounding--and I look at the phenomenal explosion and speed he showed in his workouts, and I don't see how they're in the same league.

Totally agree. Barr has high bust potential to me. He reminds me some of Kiki Mingo last year (who I was on record as not liking at all). Mingo looked good as a rookie but I saw a lot of him at LSU and his production was inconsistent. I thought that I was going to really like Barr during the college football season as I looked forward to the draft. I just didn't see it in games or in his workout.

Is this even a question? Kenny Britt is one of the biggest morons to ever play football. He has to be one strike away from a year long suspension and I think he has one year of over 800 yards in his career. He was talked about as being one of the guys that quit this year in Tennessee. He might not even be in the NFL next year. But other than that, he's awesome. :)

On top of that, I think Lewan has the msot bust potential of the top Ts. I can see speed rushers eating him alive. Evans and Streif would be a dream.

This is the hype about the draft though. EJ Manuel has the same exact measurements/ stats of Blake Bortles (EJ actually has the edge in some categories). Yet, EJ was a reach in the 1st and Bortles might go #1 overall??? IMO, the only undeniable talent is Greg Robinson and he really never had to pas block.

Next year's draft will be the best draft ever. It gets repeated every year.

I don't think it's hype at all considering these 3 OT's in comparison to Joeckel and Fisher...Hype only works on the uneducated and unstudied...I think all 3 are better prospects, especially Robinson who I believe will end up being the best player from this Draft and an absolute monster at the NFL level...Matthews and Lewan are closer to the two OT's last year...But Matthews is clearly more polished, and Lewan has better upside...I agree that Lewan needs the most work...But he's got some really, really good film too...and great athletic ability...Lewan's athletic ability and size is absolutely elite for an LT prospect...I think he can easily be as good if not better than Nate Solder...There were plenty of scouts last year saying Joeckel was not even the best O-Lineman on his team...It's Matthews they were referring to...It's not hype on these 3...They are legit prospects and I think it's easy to imagine all three pushing Fisher and Joeckel down a few spots...... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Agree with what has been said. Barr is the slider for me, should never have been rated that high to begin with. Wouldn't amaze me if Watkins slid a little bit either, not out of the top 15 but possibly out of the top 8. I'm just not as sure a lot of NFL clubs will have him as high on their boad as some of the draft "experts".

As for climbers.... I think the time when I thought Mack might slide to our pick at #9 is over and I think Evans has probably solidified himself as the second receiver off the board now. I'd be amazed if he slid below say 15. I think he will still be there for the Bills at #9 unless someone trades up to jump in front of us and if that happens he would have gatecrashed the top 8.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't like taking OTs that high.

Agreed. We have 3 Tackles that are NFL Capable and have long careers ahead of them. I wouldn't put the onus on OT. We need WR,TE,LB,CB. Those are the positions we should be focusing in on.