Hackett is Dead Man Walking

patfitz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm willing to give the guy a pass due to his rookie stupidity with several issues. He did have great difficulty's facing him with the QB's, the lack of production from his receivers, and the inadequate play of the O line.

That line ranked 28th in pass protection, and it sure wasn't Hackett's fault he was left with Colin Brown, his backup in Sam Young, Erik Pears, and Doug Legursky on that line. That line was Marrone's fault for being out on the field and they regressed in several areas, including center. It was also Whaley's fault for allowing those bad players to take the field in the first place.

That said the supposed coaching problems have been rectified, and so its up to those I mentioned to learn from their mistakes, and build that O line properly.

Agree'd in the offense it all starts in the trenches which is something many Bills fans have no patience for . We saw it with most all of our past & present QB's.

Whenever they have a bad game it is immediately "OFF WITH THEIR HEAD" mentality, (look at Tuels first start) the fans don't look beyond the QB position to realize that if the QB has no time he can't make good reads :doh: it's pretty simple !!

But instant gratification is a huge problem in the NFL with the fan base especially one like ours that hasn't seen our team in the play offs in 13 years . But even if we did make it to the play offs the fan base would find something to B word about !!

Edited by T master

Agree'd in the offense it all starts in the trenches which is something many Bills fans have no patience for . We saw it with most all of our past & present QB's.

Whenever they have a bad game it is immediately "OFF WITH THEIR HEAD" mentality, (look at Tuels first start) the fans don't look beyond the QB position to realize that if the QB has no time he can't make good reads :doh: it's pretty simple !!

But instant gratification is a huge problem in the NFL with the fan base especially one like ours that hasn't seen our team in the play offs in 13 years . But even if we did make it to the play offs the fan base would find something to B word about !!

I think it's the exact opposite--many fans are way too quick to blame the OL when things like sacks/pressures affect the QB's play. Buffalo's group of QBs was brutal in terms of pocket awareness (which virtually all of the statistical breakdowns corroborate) and caused the vast majority of protection issues themselves.

There's a reason that guys like Brady, Brees, Manning, etc. are always among the least-sacked QBs, and it isn't because they have these elite pass-blocking OLs in front of them. It's because (a) they make quick decisions and get rid of the ball, (b) they know how to slink around in the backfield and leak toward their protection (and not away from it), and © they know how to set protections based on pre-snap reads. It's no coincidence that the teams with the rookie QBs--Buffalo, TB, and the Jets--all ranked near the bottom of the league in sacks allowed.

The case study is Seattle, whose OL spent the entire season nearly getting Wilson killed, and managed only 0.1 YPC better than Buffalo for the season (a statistic that was largely inflated by Wilson's 539 rushing yards to boot). They won the Superbowl in spite of a (to put it mildly) unstable OL, because they have a QB with great pocket awareness and intelligence.

It's no secret: the QB is the key to beating the defense. A solid OL helps, and yes, I would like to see an upgrade or two along Buffalo's OL...it is, however, by no means the issue of greatest importance.

The lack of QBs was his fault for backing Marrone to get rid of TJax. Utter stupidity.

T Jax's career QB rating is 78.5. Thad Lewis had a 81 QB rating this year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13606/thad-lewis

Let's just hope that EJ stays healthy. And they should use a pick on a qb like the guy from Eastern Illinois, or South Carolina, or even Alabama.

Thad Lewis will have better NFL career than nay of those guys IMO.

I am not a fan of Hackett one bit. However i know he will last the entire season. Marrone is not going to fire a coach mid season, i just do not see that. My hope is now the Marrone has an entire staff, a qb coach and a OC, we will see improvement out of Hackett. Maronne screwed up by putting way too much on Hackett this pass year. Lets hope Hackett is the young innovative mind he has been touted for, and gets things sorted out.

This thread is a testament to the FOX newsification of TBD. Just because you say something, doesn't make it true.

Those who lambast the FO for not having adequate personnel heading into 2013 conveniently overlook that acquisition of Kolb, and fail to mention who else the Bills should have targeted.

By the same token, those mystery men that surely must be better play right into the hands of the ludicrous arguments in favor of Tavaris Jackson. When I read about how dumb we were to let him go, I want to make this required viewing for everyone at TBD:

Nathaniel Hackett stinks. JMO.

He'll need to paint some pretty broad strokes to change that opinion. i.e. Dumping dead weight like Chris Hogan and TJ Graham. If we grab Davante Adams in round 1, and take another WR, and TE prospect later on, I'll know he's serious, if not, then :thumbdown: .

T Jax's career QB rating is 78.5. Thad Lewis had a 81 QB rating this year. http://espn.go.com/n...3606/thad-lewis

Thad Lewis will have better NFL career than nay of those guys IMO.

Yep, I'm not sure the love for TJax. He's a career backup who has been given up on by at least 4 different staffs and likely won't get any better than that. We were only going to keep one mediocre veteran backup QB and the coaches liked Kolb better. Sadly he was too brittle and is done. Thad is very much like TJax but unlike TJax, he hasn't proven he can't do it yet.

I'm happier with Thad, and he will very likely that he'll have a better career than either of those new guys mentioned. Hopefully Thad will get better than the Fitzpatrick zone of "just good enough to get you beat."

Et to means "you too", so I'm not sure what you were referring to - that everyone, including his coach is stabbing him in the back?

Besides that, no way. They are just filling out the offensive staff appropriately, which is a darn good thing. Madrone saw talent but inexperience and addressed it.

Small correction: “Et tu” (pronounced: a too, with a long a like in "day') means “And you”

But I totally agree with your point. Obviously Marrone sees something in Hackett, but also understands that he is still young and learning, so he brought guys in who have experience to help Hackett progress. But that doesn’t diminish what Hackett brings to the table or that he isn’t still the head man, he just has some senior advisors now (like a President often has) to help him get better faster and to have someone to lean on when he needs some advice.

Edited by folz

My 1st beef with Hackett is he ran a pure no huddle O with a rookie QB and very inexperienced WR core. Common Sense says you slow the game down for them.

My 2nd beef is the way he used CJ between the tackles. CJ needs space to be created via a spread.... He'll never be the CJ of 2012 is Hackett doesn't spread the O out and create the space he thrives in

Other then that he did a decent job considering the inexperience at QB and WR. No way he is fired in season

Results not withstanding, I thought Hackett called a pretty good game...but called a better game when Lewis and Tuel were under center. Perhaps it is because the two backups are percieved to be more limited, but especailly with Thad, I thought he called a game that played to his strengths, and hid his weaknesses for a while.

It seems to me, having watched all 3 QBs last year, that the coaching additions on offense have a lot more to do with how much additional help they think these QBs need versus Hackett needing help in game prep. Hackett's play calling can be frustrating, but EJ's accuracy, health and decision making is the biggest weakness of the team. Another season of poor QB play and it's all for naught.

It seems to me, having watched all 3 QBs last year, that the coaching additions on offense have a lot more to do with how much additional help they think these QBs need versus Hackett needing help in game prep. Hackett's play calling can be frustrating, but EJ's accuracy, health and decision making is the biggest weakness of the team. Another season of poor QB play and it's all for naught.

I agree...I didn't mean to imply otherwise...I just meant that Hackett not having to devote as much time to the auxiliary issues now that the other coaches are on board should help him in his game-planning.

Results not withstanding, I thought Hackett called a pretty good game...but called a better game when Lewis and Tuel were under center. Perhaps it is because the two backups are percieved to be more limited, but especailly with Thad, I thought he called a game that played to his strengths, and hid his weaknesses for a while.

You are right. He called better games with Tuel and Lewis under center.

It's not because he thought they were more limited.

It's because they decided to mollycoddle EJ and not take chances.

As to why they did that...well that's a whole other discussion.

It will be interesting to see what happens when, as surely they must, they open up the playbook for EJ this year.

I think he may turn into a turnover machine. That would be my concern.

I am not a Nate Hackett fan, but I think the struggles on offense are just as much to blame on Marrone than hackett. Marrone has been very hands on with the offense, and if it doesn't immprove, blame rests on both of them. And the thing with the roundtable of QBs we had last year obviously was the biggest factor in all this. Hoping to see them make improvements and hopefully see EJ grow and stay healthy.

I am putting aside my predictions for the team aside for the moment. With the way the draft went for us last year, I am hoping they do a repeat and if they add quality players like last time, I would be pretty optimisic. Kiko, Woods, goodwin were great additions. I am really hoping last years draft wasn't a fluke and it is a sign of great things to come.

You are right. He called better games with Tuel and Lewis under center.

It's not because he thought they were more limited.

It's because they decided to mollycoddle EJ and not take chances.

As to why they did that...well that's a whole other discussion.

It will be interesting to see what happens when, as surely they must, they open up the playbook for EJ this year.

I think he may turn into a turnover machine. That would be my concern.

I agree with this. Definently played it safer with EJ, which was very frustrating. There are a lot of reasons for it, but none of them are really good

I am not a Nate Hackett fan, but I think the struggles on offense are just as much to blame on Marrone than hackett. Marrone has been very hands on with the offense, and if it doesn't immprove, blame rests on both of them. And the thing with the roundtable of QBs we had last year obviously was the biggest factor in all this. Hoping to see them make improvements and hopefully see EJ grow and stay healthy.

I am putting aside my predictions for the team aside for the moment. With the way the draft went for us last year, I am hoping they do a repeat and if they add quality players like last time, I would be pretty optimisic. Kiko, Woods, goodwin were great additions. I am really hoping last years draft wasn't a fluke and it is a sign of great things to come.

I don't think it was a fluke.

I think Whaley will do a very good job getting Marrone the talent he needs.

I firmly believe the nightmare drafts are a thing of the past.

Nathaniel Hackett stinks. JMO.

He'll need to paint some pretty broad strokes to change that opinion. i.e. Dumping dead weight like Chris Hogan and TJ Graham. If we grab Davante Adams in round 1, and take another WR, and TE prospect later on, I'll know he's serious, if not, then :thumbdown: .

I'll amend this by saying that I realize the final decision on who's taken and where may not be his. -As OC, however, his main concern should be moving the chains, and creating opportunities to score. You can't do either if you have a crappy product on the field. TJ Graham and Chris Hogan are both switchblades brought to a gunfight. Time to upgrade.

Edited by #34fan