Draft: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss

thebandit27

Many of you know I'm not a big fan of Mike Evans as the big WR Buffalo needs. However, I very much like Donte Moncrief from Ole Miss.

He's got the size (6'3", 226 lbs) to make tough catches and good enough speed 4.5-4.6/40 to make things happen down the field. Here's a nice sample of 2013 highlights:

Catches of note:

2:00

2:15

2:22

2:30

All are very nice examples of making contested catches in traffic.

I'd love to target him in the 2nd round, as I think he'll probably be slotted behind guys like Sammy Watkins, Evans, Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, and Jordan Matthews that could all go in the first 40 picks.

That said, it may take a higher pick if he runs a solid time at the combine.

Thoughts?

Many of you know I'm not a big fan of Mike Evans as the big WR Buffalo needs. However, I very much like Donte Moncrief from Ole Miss.

He's got the size (6'3", 226 lbs) to make tough catches and good enough speed 4.5-4.6/40 to make things happen down the field. Here's a nice sample of 2013 highlights:

Catches of note:

2:00

2:15

2:22

2:30

All are very nice examples of making contested catches in traffic.

I'd love to target him in the 2nd round, as I think he'll probably be slotted behind guys like Sammy Watkins, Evans, Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, and Jordan Matthews that could all go in the first 40 picks.

That said, it may take a higher pick if he runs a solid time at the combine.

Thoughts?

I am right there with you on this one bandit. I am also not a big fan of Evans but info like Moncrief. I think that he is going to make a good pro and may even be available in the 3rd (but I doubt it). I don't think that the Bills should wait until the 3rd for a WR.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

seems like a legit player I would be ok with it definitely in the 3rd and even in the 2nd if we had two picks.. also, I know its a highlight tape but who is this qb, hits him in stride almost everytime but puts it up there when he needs to.

what is it that some of you don't like about Evans? Not debating, just looking for education :)

For me, it's the following:

- Lacks burst off the snap

- Doesn't show ability to separate from coverage

- Virtually no suddenness or short-area-quickness

- Very unrefined as a route runner

Now, that's not all to say that he won't be a good NFL player; just that I'd prefer that any guy I take in the first round (where Evans will almost certainly be taken) to have the above.

For me, it's the following:

- Lacks burst off the snap

- Doesn't show ability to separate from coverage

- Virtually no suddenness or short-area-quickness

- Very unrefined as a route runner

Now, that's not all to say that he won't be a good NFL player; just that I'd prefer that any guy I take in the first round (where Evans will almost certainly be taken) to have the above.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Working on my draft board on possible value picks if they drop to the 4th. Looking at Donte Moncrief WR. I wondered what the raps were on him. From what I found he is big and tough. He has good hands and good moves. He is not afraid to block down field. He does not have the speed of a Goodwin, but would seem a good outside receiver and good in the middle with his size and moves. Any info, links on him? Any comments on what his weaknesses are?

He's my dark horse pick if the Bills decide to wait until the 3rd rd to pick a wideout. I youtubed his highlights and he had some big games against LSU, Arkansas & Alabama. He reminds me of a young Eric Moulds that also plays special teams...a quality that adds extra value.

He's my dark horse pick if the Bills decide to wait until the 3rd rd to pick a wideout. I youtubed his highlights and he had some big games against LSU, Arkansas & Alabama. He reminds me of a young Eric Moulds that also plays special teams...a quality that adds extra value.

I like this pick as well... I think he has tons of NFL potential and I too am not a fan of Evans (Jets have talked about taking him and I hope they do)... but if they do take Moncreif I hope doesn't spend all his time on ST like Easley and we get more Graham as a starter.

Working on my draft board on possible value picks if they drop to the 4th. Looking at Donte Moncrief WR. I wondered what the raps were on him. From what I found he is big and tough. He has good hands and good moves. He is not afraid to block down field. He does not have the speed of a Goodwin, but would seem a good outside receiver and good in the middle with his size and moves. Any info, links on him? Any comments on what his weaknesses are?

I'm totally OK with this... if he can catch the ball on 3rd down and in the end zone, willing to go over the middle, can block and run routes I am all for it.

I was wondering when this kids name was gonna catch fire...unfortunately, I think it will across the league. Check out some of my recent posts and you'll see I'm a big fan of this kid.

Right now, I see a lot of scout sites with him as a midrounder, 4-5. I think it's a bit foolish as it seems like they're basing those assessments on his stats...not bad, but not over the top like the "top" WR's. The thing is, Ole Miss has a few decent receivers with NFL potential and they did a nice job of spreading the ball around the last couple years. Some say that even with good work-outs @ the combine and pro-day will only garner him a round 3 selection...I don't see it...Personally, I'll be shocked if he makes it out of the second.

Here's the deal...I can't find many weaknesses in his game. I've seen him play a lot and he's exciting to watch. Even when he's away from the play he's "in the mix." throwing a block and/or running dummy routes. His size makes him vitually impossible to jamb. He's got good hands, runs sharp routes and has deceptive speed. The best part about his game, to me, is his agility. Also, he consistantly makes contessted catches. He's got great concentration.

I think a lot of his game comes from the fact is that he's a team guy who goes out there and does everything he can to pitch in. He's not "me" type. If he's not getting the ball, he's taking his man out of the play. When the ball comes his way, he does everything to make the play.

He's got the pedigree, too. He was the captain of his H.S. basketball team and a 2-time 3A state champ in the long jump. No big "story" here. He comes from a good home and has a great work ethic and is a true gamer.

I was wondering when this kids name was gonna catch fire...unfortunately, I think it will across the league. Check out some of my recent posts and you'll see I'm a big fan of this kid.

Right now, I see a lot of scout sites with him as a midrounder, 4-5. I think it's a bit foolish as it seems like they're basing those assessments on his stats...not bad, but not over the top like the "top" WR's. The thing is, Ole Miss has a few decent receivers with NFL potential and they did a nice job of spreading the ball around the last couple years. Some say that even with good work-outs @ the combine and pro-day will only garner him a round 3 selection...I don't see it...Personally, I'll be shocked if he makes it out of the second.

Here's the deal...I can't find many weaknesses in his game. I've seen him play a lot and he's exciting to watch. Even when he's away from the play he's "in the mix." throwing a block and/or running dummy routes. His size makes him vitually impossible to jamb. He's got good hands, runs sharp routes and has deceptive speed. The best part about his game, to me, is his agility. Also, he consistantly makes contessted catches. He's got great concentration.

I think a lot of his game comes from the fact is that he's a team guy who goes out there and does everything he can to pitch in. He's not "me" type. If he's not getting the ball, he's taking his man out of the play. When the ball comes his way, he does everything to make the play.

He's got the pedigree, too. He was the captain of his H.S. basketball team and a 2-time 3A state champ in the long jump. No big "story" here. He comes from a good home and has a great work ethic and is a true gamer.

I'm sold! He sounds like a great prospect and we don't need to spend a 1st rd pick which I am not fond of doing for a WR , plus we spent 2nd and 3rd rd picks on WR just last yr.

I think that this guy will be a lot higher on NFL team's draft boards than I've seen at some draft sites. After the Bills' season was over, I watched video of all of the top WRs and Moncrief looked like a better prospect than some of the WRs projected to go in the second like Matthews and Robinson. I think he ends up going in the later part of the second round. He looks like a very fluid runner, reminds me of how Jerry Rice ran.

I think that this guy will be a lot higher on NFL team's draft boards than I've seen at some draft sites. After the Bills' season was over, I watched video of all of the top WRs and Moncrief looked like a better prospect than some of the WRs projected to go in the second like Matthews and Robinson. I think he ends up going in the later part of the second round. He looks like a very fluid runner, reminds me of how Jerry Rice ran.

I respectfully disagree.

There are a large # of "2nd tier" wide recievers coming out.

Adams, Landry, Richardson Bryant, Herron, Abberidis, Huff..........and thats NOT counting the top 8 who are projected for the first and second rounds.

Someone has to slip to the late third and fourth rounds.....it could be Montcreif

That being said...........I would take Watkins at 9.

But a top Tackle at 9, and Montcreif later would be great.

I respectfully disagree.

There are a large # of "2nd tier" wide recievers coming out.

Adams, Landry, Richardson Bryant, Herron, Abberidis, Huff..........and thats NOT counting the top 8 who are projected for the first and second rounds.

Someone has to slip to the late third and fourth rounds.....it could be Montcreif

That being said...........I would take Watkins at 9.

But a top Tackle at 9, and Montcreif later would be great.

I totally understand that he could fall. However, my gut tells me a WR with his height, weight, ability and character is a package that will move him ahead of many of those 2nd tier guys on drafts boards.

The Bills' WR position concerns me. The Bills don't have a #1 WR. TJ Graham was playing in that starter's spot held for the #1 WR on the team, but he's not even a starting level WR.

I see Moncrief as having the ability of an eventual #1 WR on a team. My hope is that the Bills will be able to replace Graham with either Watkins, Benjamin or Moncrief in this coming draft.