Should Bills target Branden Albert in FA?

He's a LT (and a very good one) so he's going to get a huge contract (also not an area of need). Look for RT's such as Zach Strief from the Saints, who could be had at a much more reasonable price.

And that price being for a reason.... He's not that good.

And that price being for a reason.... He's not that good.

I'll take your word for him being not that good.....but the price for virtually any RT(who can't play LT) is going to be much cheaper than a LT.

Well, regardless, my point stands. The odds of us going after a LT in FA are almost 0%. Armchair GMs should target RTs.

Yep.

I'll take your word for him being not that good.....but the price for virtually any RT(who can't play LT) is going to be much cheaper than a LT.

Yep.

Very much understood. But especially magnified when talking average to perhaps slightly below average RTs. At the highest end, RTs get paid but it falls off fast.

He's actually my neighbor during the season. ( suburb of kc). Lives about 4 houses away. His house has been on the market since last year. He's a good guy but the Chiefs wanted him to play RT and drafted Fisher to play LT. He probably isn't an elite LT but word was he wanted to be paid as one. Almost got traded to Fins but something happened. He's had some injuries as of late. He could play RT but wants to play and be considered a LT b/c the pay day will likely be more. Probably could find cheaper option for RT.

And play him where? I'm not against getting good players, and Branden is very good but not great, but you will have to pay him LT market money when you have a monster already at that position, do you pay him LT money to play RT or LOG? I don't think so.

Spot On!!

I'm waiting for someone to suggest we more Glenn to RT to solve the problem. Problem with that is first off, Glenn has proved himself a more than capable LT, and even if he's not elite, may be as good as Albert. Plus when his contract expires, he'll want to be paid LT salaries and if he were to be moved to RT, he'd likely bolt when his contact is up as some team would likely pay him LT money as he's proved in two years he can handle the position. Either find a FA RT or draft one, but again you also don't draft a RT or guard at #9.

And play him where? I'm not against getting good players, and Branden is very good but not great, but you will have to pay him LT market money when you have a monster already at that position, do you pay him LT money to play RT or LOG? I don't think so.

He's a LT (and a very good one) so he's going to get a huge contract (also not an area of need). Look for RT's such as Zach Strief from the Saints, who could be had at a much more reasonable price.

+1, played for coach Doug, cheaper and allows Buffalo to concentrate on making Glenn the best LT (he's better than Albert) in the NFL

Spot On!!

I'm waiting for someone to suggest we more Glenn to RT to solve the problem. Problem with that is first off, Glenn has proved himself a more than capable LT, and even if he's not elite, may be as good as Albert. Plus when his contract expires, he'll want to be paid LT salaries and if he were to be moved to RT, he'd likely bolt when his contact is up as some team would likely pay him LT money as he's proved in two years he can handle the position. Either find a FA RT or draft one, but again you also don't draft a RT or guard at #9.

Please do not get that awful thought any legs . Glenn ? Woodman Urbik + and the new guy.

Any more talk about moving Glenn should be squelched Ed.

I hope you are open to trade down Ed. and then grab the Tackle in the first ? hey and why not grab the OG with that extra pick.

Done and done

I'd prefer either Zach Strief or Anthony Collins at the $5M/yr it'll take to get them vs Albert at, say, $9M/yr

Your numbers are way too high for RT. Strief was on a $1.9m/year deal($2.6m in 2013) and Collins a $1.3m/year deal($2.1m in 2013).

Only 13 RTs were on $3m+/year in 2013.....Pears being the 13th. We literally should be able to replace Pears for less than the money saved from cutting him($2.9m).

Your numbers are way too high for RT. Strief was on a $1.9m/year deal($2.6m in 2013) and Collins a $1.3m/year deal($2.1m in 2013).

Only 13 RTs were on $3m+/year in 2013.....Pears being the 13th. We literally should be able to replace Pears for less than the money saved from cutting him($2.9m).

Thanks Dibs . now i feel better about hoping for Strief

Plus Strief will be 31 this season

I'm looking at the deals signed by Gosder Cherilus and Sebastian Vollmer last offseason.

Cherilus went at 5-years $35M, which is what I expect to be the starting point for Collins.

Vollmer went at 4-years $16.5M, he's younger than Strief but probably not as highly thought of IMO.

I'm certainly not in favor of that move to move Glenn, but have seen it posted here within the past couple months. I'm really shocked it hasn't yet been mentioned on this tread as viable.

Agreed, with trading down maybe to 20's then get a tackle or maybe a LB there and tackle or guard in 2nd assuming you've picked up another lineman, probably a guard in FA. I've seen a couple of mocks where one of the top WR is still there at nine, maybe Evans, if so would take him rather than trade down.

Please do not get that awful thought any legs . Glenn ? Woodman Urbik + and the new guy.

Any more talk about moving Glenn should be squelched Ed.

I hope you are open to trade down Ed. and then grab the Tackle in the first ? hey and why not grab the OG with that extra pick.

Done and done

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I'm looking at the deals signed by Gosder Cherilus and Sebastian Vollmer last offseason.

Cherilus went at 5-years $35M, which is what I expect to be the starting point for Collins.

Vollmer went at 4-years $16.5M, he's younger than Strief but probably not as highly thought of IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like vollmer is the more respected of the two. He has a second team all pro on his résumé, high pick by comparison, more starts in 3 fewer years, and I thought his pay was much higher than that.

Edited by NoSaint

Cherilus is the highest paid RT in the league.....Vollmer the 8th highest.

I would be surprised if Strief cracks above $3m/year.......but who knows?

Cherilus is the highest paid RT in the league.....Vollmer the 8th highest.

I would be surprised if Strief cracks above $3m/year.......but who knows?

Hey, if you and NoSaint are correct, that's even better! All the more reason to sign one of those guys over Albert IMO.

Our starting right tackle is already on the team: Chris Hairston!

Next . . .

I can't get begin the idea that we should count on a guy that hasn't played a meaningful snap of football in 14 months (18 by the time OTAs roll around) and was a marginal starter at that time to come in and take over a position.

I do think he should get every opportunity to compete for a job though

Our starting right tackle is already on the team: Chris Hairston!

Next . . .

Hairston may be the guy, or he may not...there just isn't enough info to go with on him. But, if the BILLS sign an OG and bring in a high Draft Tackle, you could move Hairston to OG if he proves to be "that" good. All Tackles can be Guards, but rarely can Guards be Tackles. If Hairston proves to be so good that he needs to be inserted into the line, then his play will prove that out...but given the issues the O-line had this year, I don't think the BILLS should make that gamble.

Hey, if you and NoSaint are correct, that's even better! All the more reason to sign one of those guys over Albert IMO.

Yeah.....I was never meaning to disagree with your base point. IMO we have a good(future great) LT in Glenn, so paying for another one is not logical. I was just pointing out that tackles who only play RT typically can be found for much lower dollar figures than LTs.

LB and WR in FA, OT in the draft

? This draft is full of good LBs and WRs and you want to get them in FA? I would prefer to add young talent in those areas and that's through the draft.

No thank you, and that's nothing against Albert. I would rather the BILLS get 2 OGs in FA and take the Auburn OT at 9, Robinson I think is his name...

Why is everyone so enamored with this Robinson fella and why they want to waste the 9th pick on him? We need to add an impact player at that spot and a RT isn't it.

LB and WR in FA, OT in the draft

nope. WR in the draft . LB in the draft and OT in both or either .

OG is not most valuable but maybe most important solve for Bills

? This draft is full of good LBs and WRs and you want to get them in FA? I would prefer to add young talent in those areas and that's through the draft.

Why is everyone so enamored with this Robinson fella and why they want to waste the 9th pick on him? We need to add an impact player at that spot and a RT isn't it.

Because we cant Pass Protect well enough yet . we have a rookie QB we need to make comfortable and we are not running as nearly as well as we could.

The playbook was limited because O line had trouble executing especially second level run blocking.

I want to trade back and still get him. Or someone very much like him.

Yeah.....I was never meaning to disagree with your base point. IMO we have a good(future great) LT in Glenn, so paying for another one is not logical. I was just pointing out that tackles who only play RT typically can be found for much lower dollar figures than LTs.

Yeah I gotcha...I agree that Glenn is a stud at LT. As long as the RT comes in at a reasonable price, I'm all for it.

Why bother getting a tackle when we need Guards!!

Yes, the team needs a LG...the team could also stand to upgrade at RT. I know some folks aren't thrilled with Urbik--I believe he's fine at RG, and if he were the team's worst or second-worst lineman, they'd be just fine.

My belief is that if the team could bring in a starting RT and a swing OT competitor in FA, along with a stopgap at LG, it would give them a ton of flexibility in the draft.

Albert is from the area and acquiring him will provide the Bills with bookend tackles. Would allow the Bills to go in a multitude of directions in draft. Thoughts?

No, for a couple of reasons.

1) He would probably cost more than he's worth and more than what the Bills would want to spend

2) He's considered a pretty good LT, and we already have one of those. I highly doubt he's willing to go be a RT somewhere, especially on the Bills.

I DO think we should target a RT in FA, and not the draft though. There are plenty to choose from too, all of whom would be big upgrades over Pears/Hairston. My favorites are Strief, Collins, Howard. Collins could be considered at LT for some teams, but I think Strief and Howard are purely RT's and would be perfect for us.

My concern with replacing the RT is that people don't realize that Pears was actually a pretty good pass blocker, he was just terrible at run blocking. The last thing we want to do is try to "upgrade" RT, and actually give EJ even less pass protection. This is why I think the Bills need to target a proven player in FA, not the draft.

Edited by Turbosrrgood