Pepper Johnson to Bills Staff as D-Line coach

BRAWNDO

Brandon had some not so nice things to tweet about buffalo back in September.

@BrandonSpikes55: @nhgator13: @BrandonSpikes55

Buffalo is the plumbers butt of America. I gonna follow u now !!! Lmaoooo dying over here

@BrandonSpikes55: @1CrazyPATSfan: You must be in wack ass Buffalo....RT @BrandonSpikes55: This place looks boring ass F**k !!! Smh Indeed

I have no use for this scumbag and this is just dressing on the sh-- sandwich.

Pass.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotes from Pats fan sites:

Seriously? I can't believe we let him go - the DL and LB have always been a stable (at times strong) component of our defense. I wonder if it is just typical Pats propaganda spilling the "let go" thing.

Johnson does have more of a future in Buffalol.

Schwartz will get another shot at HC soon which gives Johnson a path to a promotion.

Here is a fun fact: Pepper Johnson has been with Bill Belichick for 24 years of his life...that's a mighty long time.

- Pepper played for the Giants for five years when Belichick was the defensive coordinator there

- Pepper played for the Browns for three years when Belichick was the Head Coach there

- Pepper played for the Jets for two years when Belichick was the assistant head coach / defensive guy there.

- Pepper coached linebackers and d-line the entire time Belichick has been the Head Coach for the Patriots, and that's 14 years.

Do the math...that's 24 years.

Nobody has been with Belichick longer in his football life. Dunno why he "decided" to leave, but Pepper Johnson has a great opportunity in Buffalo as the d-line coach...three Bills d-lineman played in the Pro Bowl this year.

Such a weird name for a team. Should've been the Bison, or Buffaloes. Or Snowmen.

So you are saying he wanted to go from a division contender to a basement contender?

If he left for a promotion, or for the possibility of promotion to DC, I would see it as a move on his part, even if it were to the Bills. But to suggest otherwise does not seem to make sense to

The Pats now have Zero coaches on staff with NFL playing experience. I wonder how many

other teams can claim that dubious distinction.

It's kinda nice being the hot chick at the coaching bar for a change.

Thanks Buddy and Doug for putting these players together, now on to winning some games.

If you're saying you'd take Pepper Johnson home with you from the bar...well, I don't want to go any further. :P

I'm not so sure. From what I recall and granted wasn't following Tenn all that close, but I think Schwarz was more in demand for a HC position than Pettine was now so could make the argument that his resume was more impressive at the time. The only reason Pettine got the HC job was cause Cleveland is a 3 ring circus. Schwatz has taken a hit in recent years for his HC job in Detroit, but as many said he may be a better DC than HC. While his HC job didn't go all that well, he stil ldoes have experience even at what NOT to do, so I think having a DC with HC experience is a good thing as will be better at seeing the big picture than Pettine would have given us this coming season if he were still here. Marrone may use him for a sounding board about ideas he has, even Hackert could benefit from his HC experience.

Overall I think Schwarz experience over the years as a DC was just as impressive as Pettines was. Add his years as a HC even though may have been bad, no way is he a step down. We could do worse next year, but may be more due ot injuries and other things, but I think coaching wise are in good shape.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I offer a few items for thought about Schwartz.

1) His defenses in Tennessee were not as good as people are making out. During his time as Tennessee's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked 11th, 13th, 30th, 29th, 31st, 8th and 2nd. Average ranking of 18th overall.

2) Any defensive success he had in Tennessee has to partially be attributed to Jeff Fisher, IMO. That was Fisher's defense in many respects.

3) He never produced great defenses in Detroit. During his time as HC, his defenses ranked 32nd, 19th, 23rd, 27th and 15th. Average ranking 23rd.

This is why I say I'll believe he is greater or equal to Pettine when I see it on the field.

Pettine took over the defense and virtually every player had a career year, the unit set a franchise record in sacks and showed marked improvement in almost every area (except run defense); and this was in his first season with a relatively complex scheme.

Edited by vincec

2, Fives = a 10.

It's all about the math.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I offer a few items for thought about Schwartz.

Yes, he's got his warts, the proof will be next year of course. But he isn't George Edwards or Wannstadt "doing a favor" for his friend. He is a guy with some experience and as DC did a good enough job to get a HC gig. The position coaches have some pedigree also and are not all just coming with Schwartz from Det so if/when he leaves we will have a quality option to promote from within. I feel like this is a big departure from the past and is mainly a result of collecting enough talent where we don't have to flush half the starters because they "don't fit the system", aka there are a lot of "just another guys".

1) His defenses in Tennessee were not as good as people are making out. During his time as Tennessee's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked 11th, 13th, 30th, 29th, 31st, 8th and 2nd. Average ranking of 18th overall.

2) Any defensive success he had in Tennessee has to partially be attributed to Jeff Fisher, IMO. That was Fisher's defense in many respects.

3) He never produced great defenses in Detroit. During his time as HC, his defenses ranked 32nd, 19th, 23rd, 27th and 15th. Average ranking 23rd.

This is why I say I'll believe he is greater or equal to Pettine when I see it on the field.

Pettine took over the defense and virtually every player had a career year, the unit set a franchise record in sacks and showed marked improvement in almost every area (except run defense); and this was in his first season with a relatively complex scheme.

Sshhhh!

The narrative is now that Schwartz is essentially the NFL's next coach and Johnson is our new DC!

And I thought the old narrative was that the pats D sucked...

But I agree this is a good hire.

Now bring on the Offensive coaching overhaul!

First off, thanks for the shout out...always nice to know others are thinking of you.

Second, I said I heard from John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, not some "source".

Just search his twitter feed if you're that interested.

EDIT:

Or just read this, which is the same link I posted in the Shoutbox last week...

http://m.nbcsports.c...uld-join-texans

I posted as well that he was listed as ILB coach on the Texans' Wikipedia page earlier this week... I have a feeling that he did want to go there, at least initially, and for some reason or another it fell through.

Schwartz has a whole lot to prove as a DC.

The last time he had a good defense was prior to the NFL disallowing much of the unnecessary roughness that gave his last couple Titans defenses....his only exceptional ones...... their edge.

His Detroit defenses were ineffective and DUMB. They tired to play on the edge of dirty instead of playing smart, deceptive defense.

Schwartz is credited as a smart coach and he seems young and energetic but the fact that he had a dinosuar like Gunther Cunningham running his Detroit defense causes me to believe that he may not be up to the task of running a modern NFL defense at a high level.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Read most of the posts, but one thing that popped up in my mind was.

Not only will Pepper make Dareus better but also he could coach up Mario some as well.

I think we gonna see a monster year from Mario because Pepper gonna be in his face, no doubt.

Think about it if Mario gets 18 sacks and get the production out of Kyle and Dareus and Hughes we gonna be hard to beat.

Not only will Pepper make Dareus better but also he could coach up Mario some as well.

I think we gonna see a monster year from Mario because Pepper gonna be in his face, no doubt.

Think about it if Mario gets 18 sacks and get the production out of Kyle and Dareus and Hughes we gonna be hard to beat.

I wonder...listening to him with John Murphy...towards the end of the segment he mentioned that they were working on how to address certain issues. I'm paraphrasing because I listened last night, but...I wonder whether the issues are related to getting Dareus to toe the company line from here forward. I am probably reading too much into a single sentence but it made me say "hmmmmmmm."

His own words "wants to come out from the shadow of Bellichick" and "really wants to become a coordinator". Sounds excited and wants to beat Bellichick this season.

Here is a list of successful coaches who have "come out from the shadow of Bellichick" and the pats;

Hard to beat? Didn't we just set a franchise record for sacks this year?