Bills hire Jim Hostler as Senior Offensive Assistant

d_wag

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, screw this topic. I want to offer my congrats for a GREAT screen name!!! I am the last person on earth to advocate illegal drug use, but what a name!!! It sends images of a suffering fan taking prescribed anti-depressants after the Atlanta game! :)

We used to have a poster (and he seemed to be fairly informed) who called himself, "Pass the Pipe." I haven't seen him in a while.

In any event, welcome to the board.

I am curious what the souped up title means. Will he be coaching WRs? Because if not they still need a dedicated WR coach and I wonder what he'll actually be doing instead.

It's not that souped up. It seems to traditionally equate to quality assistant but older and more experienced. Odds are he will break down film, help game plan and work on special projects.

It's not that souped up. It seems to traditionally equate to quality assistant but older and more experienced. Odds are he will break down film, help game plan and work on special projects.

That's more or less what I was thinking, but wondering since he's most recently been a WR coach, the Bills need a WR coach, and being a glorified quality control coach would seem like a demotion for a guy who was being considered as an OC.

I guess it'd be more apt to call him the Assistant Offensive Coordinator, although I could see how that could be construed as undermining Hackett.

I admittedly haven't always paid attention to the various titles of assistants and coaching staff structures, so this type of terminology and what it entails might be more commonplace than I thought.

That's more or less what I was thinking, but wondering since he's most recently been a WR coach, the Bills need a WR coach, and being a glorified quality control coach would seem like a demotion for a guy who was being considered as an OC.

I guess it'd be more apt to call him the Assistant Offensive Coordinator, although I could see how that could be construed as undermining Hackett.

I admittedly haven't always paid attention to the various titles of assistants and coaching staff structures, so this type of terminology and what it entails might be more commonplace than I thought.

I think a lot of staffs have similar titles. I believe mangini in SF and Gregg Williams in Tennessee come to mind as recognizable names from last year. I think tressel held a similar title in Indy when he entered the league as another "name" example.... But I think there are a lot of lesser names (like our new one) that kind of head up the QA department (for lack of a better description, and obviously can vary by team)

Edited by NoSaint

Hey, screw this topic. I want to offer my congrats for a GREAT screen name!!! I am the last person on earth to advocate illegal drug use, but what a name!!! It sends images of a suffering fan taking prescribed anti-depressants after the Atlanta game! :)

We used to have a poster (and he seemed to be fairly informed) who called himself, "Pass the Pipe." I haven't seen him in a while.

In any event, welcome to the board.

We'll you see when I made the name I felt it had 2 meanings to it

1. One pills and bills go hand in hand because you almost need pills to deal with the last 15 years.

2. Most people in the world have these two things in common ( everyone's takin a pill at one point in their life or another and everyone's paid a bill at one time or another in their life)

I am curious what the souped up title means. Will he be coaching WRs? Because if not they still need a dedicated WR coach and I wonder what he'll actually be doing instead.

Maybe they're following the Cowboys lead?

In case you missed it, the Cowboys promoted Rod Marinelli to Def Coordinator but kept Kiffin around as assistant head coach defensive consultant. They also hired Scott Linehan as passing coordinator who will call the plays instead of last year's offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, who is also still around. Remember that Callahan was hired to take play calling away from head coach Jason Garrett.

He was horrible in SF as the OC and nothing too good in Baltimore as a WR coach Torey Smith only name that comes to my mind. I read that he has worked with tommy steerer before.thjnk he was with Marrone while he was with the jets

Torrey Smith. How about Anquan Boldin? How about Jacoby Jones (He’s better now than he was in Houston as WR).

I think a lot of staffs have similar titles. I believe mangini in SF and Gregg Williams in Tennessee come to mind as recognizable names from last year. I think tressel held a similar title in Indy when he entered the league as another "name" example.... But I think there are a lot of lesser names (like our new one) that kind of head up the QA department (for lack of a better description, and obviously can vary by team)

Interesting. Now I'm disappointed that the Bills didn't get more of a "name!" :D Although reading up on Hostler, it seems he has plenty of experience and insight to offer in a variety of capacities.

Maybe they're following the Cowboys lead?

In case you missed it, the Cowboys promoted Rod Marinelli to Def Coordinator but kept Kiffin around as assistant head coach defensive consultant. They also hired Scott Linehan as passing coordinator who will call the plays instead of last year's offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, who is also still around. Remember that Callahan was hired to take play calling away from head coach Jason Garrett.

Ugh. That whole Cowboys scenario seems like a clusterfunk and is the type I was referring to when I mentioned the possibility or at least perception of some undermining of authority. In another organization it would seem like a great idea to have that much experience and creativity working together, but with Jerruh at the helm, I can't help but suspect that he's planting people to inject his own ideas and philosophies rather than let plans develop organically. Of course that's emotion speaking, not reason. :lol:

I mean if everyone is on the same page and there is a clear hierarchy and delineation/delegation of responsibilities I don't see a problem. They say too many cooks spoil the pot, but they also say two heads are better than one. In the Bills' case, I think the buck clearly stops with Marrone, and that Marrone is also comfortable delegating responsibilities without micromanaging. I'm a big fan of Hackett, but I'm sure he would benefit from a guy who has been around the block like Hostler.

Its another buddy of Marrones.

He was a coach with Marrone in NY.

I just hope if **** hits the fan Marrone has the brass to fire his buddies responsible.

Most coaches in the NFL have crossed paths at some point. Are we supposed to not hire anyone Marrone knows?