Weaver Now Browns D Line Coach

BRAWNDO

This one is kind of surprising. It's clear that he has a better liking to Pettine over Marrone.

I laugh at how these conclusions come about. Is it possible, just possible, that Weaver expected to be promoted to DC and when he wasn't, decided to leave out of spite and disappointment? No, I guess it's CLEAR that that's not a possibility. Edited by BillnutinHouston

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...Maybe Pettine couldn't find anybody better at this late point in the off season... At least O'neil gets a coordinator job. For Weaver it is a lateral move.

Don't see any of this being a big deal if they do not fix the offensive line and address the linebackers. Pettine couldn't stop the run last year with the guys he had and neither will Schwartz.

You still haven't responded to the PM I sent you.

Hmmm...Maybe Pettine couldn't find anybody better at this late point in the off season... At least O'neil gets a coordinator job. For Weaver it is a lateral move.

Don't see any of this being a big deal if they do not fix the offensive line and address the linebackers. Pettine couldn't stop the run last year with the guys he had and neither will Schwartz.

It wasn't the guys. It was the scheme. Look at how Pettine's defenses fared against the run in every season he has coached. This from a previous post:

"The rankings were as followed.

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th"

The problem with the run D last year was Pettine, not the personnel. He puts so much emphasis on blitzing and stunting in order to generate pressure on the QB and sacks that his LB's are often not in position to stop the run. Shwartz's defenses have repeatedly been in the top 10 at stopping the run and points allowed. My guess based on empirical data is that the Bills D will be much better against the run this year, while the sack total will go down. I'll take that.

This one is kind of surprising. It's clear that he has a better liking to Pettine over Marrone. It's not like he left the Bills as a D-Line coach to become a DC in Cleveland. He left to become the same position coach somewhere else. I say good riddins. If you don't want to be here then I don't want you here.

I'm also starting to dislike Pettine more and more.

Clear? So all his peers and everyone in the industry to have spoken about Marrone are...liars?

It wasn't the guys. It was the scheme. Look at how Pettine's defenses fared against the run in every season he has coached. This from a previous post:

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th"

The problem with the run D last year was Pettine, not the personnel. He puts so much emphasis on blitzing and stunting in order to generate pressure on the QB and sacks that his LB's are often not in position to stop the run. Shwartz's defenses have repeatedly been in the top 10 at stopping the run and points allowed. My guess based on empirical data is that the Bills D will be much better against the run this year, while the sack total will go down. I'll take that.

kScdnnz.gif

This one is kind of surprising. It's clear that he has a better liking to Pettine over Marrone. It's not like he left the Bills as a D-Line coach to become a DC in Cleveland. He left to become the same position coach somewhere else. I say good riddins. If you don't want to be here then I don't want you here.

I'm also starting to dislike Pettine more and more.

What? Why would a defensive coach stay when his boss (Pettine) became a head coach? It makes no sense. If it was an offensive coach that left to go with Pettine, that would speak volumes.

And good for Weaver. He did a really good job here and I wish him well. Brown and orange is an ugly combo though.

amused by how some here immediately turn against former Bills the moment they leave, questioning their loyalty and motives.

it's disappointing from a Bills perspective to lose Mike Pettine. it's quite likely the Bills defense would be served extremely well playing under Pettine for one more year, and have the potential to deliver Buffalo a true playoff contender.

that said, why begrudge Pettine for jumping at an opportunity to become a head coach. though it's possible he could have been in line for more stable jobs a year from now, who would guarantee that? and who's to say Pettine isn't confident in his own abilities to help nurture transformational change in Cleveland? he is, after all, a more than capable coach worthy of getting his shot. now he gets his chance to prove it. good for him.

if he fails, there is the opportunity for a second chance, despite what some here might say.

i seem to recall this Belichick guy bombing out in Cleveland. what's he up to these days?

Marv Levy's tenure in KC wasn't exactly an easy one, and yet i hear he's got a bust in Canton.

oddly enough, most first-time coaches don't get a chance to "ease" in to good fits. more often than not, a team is changing coaches because of a long string of losing. there's rarely such a thing as a "perfect fit" even in the best of circumstances. can't say it was easy on Seifert replacing Walsh, or Wade replacing Marv.

as for bad situations, Sean Payton did pretty good for himself taking over what was considered a dreadful job in New Orleans.

so puh-leeze. coaches are judged on the job they do, the situation they're in and how they handle themselves. no one knows if Pettine it going to succeed. we'll find out.

jw

amused by how some here immediately turn against former Bills the moment they leave, questioning their loyalty and motives.

it's disappointing from a Bills perspective to lose Mike Pettine. it's quite likely the Bills defense would be served extremely well playing under Pettine for one more year, and have the potential to deliver Buffalo a true playoff contender.

that said, why begrudge Pettine for jumping at an opportunity to become a head coach. though it's possible he could have been in line for more stable jobs a year from now, who would guarantee that? and who's to say Pettine isn't confident in his own abilities to help nurture transformational change in Cleveland? he is, after all, a more than capable coach worthy of getting his shot. now he gets his chance to prove it. good for him.

if he fails, there is the opportunity for a second chance, despite what some here might say.

i seem to recall this Belichick guy bombing out in Cleveland. what's he up to these days?

Marv Levy's tenure in KC wasn't exactly an easy one, and yet i hear he's got a bust in Canton.

oddly enough, most first-time coaches don't get a chance to "ease" in to good fits. more often than not, a team is changing coaches because of a long string of losing. there's rarely such a thing as a "perfect fit" even in the best of circumstances. can't say it was easy on Seifert replacing Walsh, or Wade replacing Marv.

as for bad situations, Sean Payton did pretty good for himself taking over what was considered a dreadful job in New Orleans.

so puh-leeze. coaches are judged on the job they do, the situation they're in and how they handle themselves. no one knows if Pettine it going to succeed. we'll find out.

jw

Agree 100%. I live in Ohio and am a bit biased on how bad the Browns situation is, but completely agree with everything on the Bills side. I hope he does well - and like most situations, his success is going to hinge as a defensive HC on who his QB is and who he brings in as OC.

This is true, but all this says to me is that Marrone is not respected by his peers. Marrone brought Pettine and now Pettine is bringing or at least WANTS to bring the WHOLE defensive staff with him.

The most exciting part and most successful part of our team is being tampered with. Leaves us with no expectations for next year. I really hope Schwartz knows what he's doing cuz if not, bye bye Marrone. Maybe it's for the better if it plays out that way who knows. But that also means 2015 we're cleaning house again. Smh.

This on the heels of Schwartz implicitly stating that his respect for Marrone was a main reason why he didn't sit home to collect millions of dollars?

Jim Schwartz Opening Statement:

I’m not one for a whole lot of opening statements or anything. I do want to thank Doug, Doug and Russ for the opportunity. I’ve been an admirer of this organization for a long time and Coach Marrone mentioned having respect for people you go against. I think some of the kind words he had for me are reciprocated. I feel the same way about him.

http://www.buffalobi...3f-697389e79482

Your correlation = FAIL

Edited by Beerball

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th"

Pettine has been a DC for 5 years. In that time, his teams have twice had a winning record and went to the playoffs (2009-2010). In 2010, he called only some of the defensive plays in NY according to the Jets. The year prior when they went 9-7, Rex called all the plays according to the Jets. In 2011 and 2012, and the 2013, he called all the plays, and all three non-winning records. Schwartz was a DC for 8 years. In that time, his teams had winning records 4 times and went to the playoffs each of the 4 times. Both were DCs for defensive HCs. As a HC, over 5 seasons, he went to the playoffs once with a team which had not been there in the 12 years prior. Pettine has said he plans to call the defensive plays still as the HC of the Browns. Schwartz had Cunningham calling the plays when he was HC in Detroit. I am not sure what can be deferred from any of this, but there are similarities and dissimilarities between the two, and I don't see how Pettine is "clearly" a better DC than Schwartz. Edited by YoloinOhio

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not so sure Pettine was a Marrone hire but more of a administration discussion about candidates and Pettine stood out. It wasn't too cloaked that the guy wanted to get out from underneath Ryan's shadow. As far as Pettine is concerned the Bills' opportunity couldn't have been more perfect of a situation for him. I don't fault him for wanting to become a HC one bit, sadly though I thought that we would have had 2 years+ with him. Oh well, good luck Mike, I wish you well! As for Schwartz, what makes you think that he's not doing the EXACT same thing??! What's a better way to get a HCing job than taking over this defense? ****, I might even apply for DC because this roster is LOADED with talent and we still have a quality draft in fromt of us to fill and/or add needed additional talent. I don't care if it's Pettine, Schwartz or even Buddy Ryan, we need more and better LBs to shore up our run defense and I'm quite confident that we will before the start of next season , whether it be the draft, free agency or possibly even a trade.

Go Bills!

2013--28th

2012--26th

2011--20th

2010--30th

2009--25th"

Could not agree more. The Ryan/Pettine defenses can be fun to watch and generate some big plays through pressure, but are very susceptible to braking off big runs, which we saw time and again, especially as the year wore on and teams adjusted to it. Heck, we saw the Bills do the same thing to the Jets on more than one occasion over the years. The problem was not personnel, although we could certainly use upgrades to Moats and Bradham, and certainly not Kiko, as many are suggesting. (i.e. Lets take a rookie of the year finalist at Middle Linebacker and change his position because he is not "big" enough) The proper balance is tough to maintain, but hopefully Schwartz will take advantage of some of the unique talents he has to both consistently stop the run, and generate enough pressure to enable the secondary to perform at a high level.

Reading this thread reminds me that Buffalo oh so rarely has its assistant coaches get promoted to HC gigs.

Having people leave for promotions can be an indicator of a well run,high performance organization. At least it is in the business world and I don't see much different between that and the coaching profession. Sports is after all, an entertainment business. I'm not saying the Bills are in this category yet but losing people isn't always a bad thing. It means competitors value your people so there is some recongnition that you're doing something right.

Organizations like this, tend to attract good people. People interested in doing a superior job and moving up in their respective industry. The fact the Bills landed Shwartz, apparently their first choice for the DC job, is in my view an encouraging sign that the culture here is changing for the better. The next step is to get some results on the field next season.

As for Pettine and his coaches, no hard feelings and good luck to them in Cleveland except when they play the Bills.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not so sure Pettine was a Marrone hire but more of a administration discussion about candidates and Pettine stood out. It wasn't too cloaked that the guy wanted to get out from underneath Ryan's shadow. As far as Pettine is concerned the Bills' opportunity couldn't have been more perfect of a situation for him. I don't fault him for wanting to become a HC one bit, sadly though I thought that we would have had 2 years+ with him. Oh well, good luck Mike, I wish you well! As for Schwartz, what makes you think that he's not doing the EXACT same thing??! What's a better way to get a HCing job than taking over this defense? ****, I might even apply for DC because this roster is LOADED with talent and we still have a quality draft in fromt of us to fill and/or add needed additional talent. I don't care if it's Pettine, Schwartz or even Buddy Ryan, we need more and better LBs to shore up our run defense and I'm quite confident that we will before the start of next season , whether it be the draft, free agency or possibly even a trade.

Go Bills!

I'm almost positive that Marrone had Pettine at the top of the list and he brought up in the interview process that he wanted to interview Pettine as soon as he was announced as HC. I can't find the article and I can't listen to his interviews right now, but I'm pretty sure Pettine was Marrone's guy. I'll keep looking when I get a chance.

I don't blame Pettine for what he did, that doesn't mean I'm not a little bitter still. The Schwartz hire definitely helps, but I was excited to see the defense after a year in the system. Schwartz has had solid defenses against the run, which people will discount, but anyone that's watched the Bills the last 5 years know they desperately need to be better against the run, regardless of the direction of the league.

I wonder how much of an influence Marrone will have on the defense. He says it all the time that they want to be an aggressive defense.

Edited by elroy16

seems we wanted to talk him into staying and he may have even considered but werent going to block him either-- if you had to try to read it as an outsider.

Reading between the Marrone lines I felt he was saying that he did not find it valuable to force retention of a coach if that coach wanted to be elsewhere even if the Bills had contractual leverage. Makes sense, as anyone who has worked with someone who feels trapped at their job can attest. You want coaches that want to be where they are at and you also want to give your new DC a chance to fill out his roster of assistants with folks that understand his defensive philosophy and playbook.