Weaver Now Browns D Line Coach

BRAWNDO

This is true, but all this says to me is that Marrone is not respected by his peers. Marrone brought Pettine and now Pettine is bringing or at least WANTS to bring the WHOLE defensive staff with him.

The most exciting part and most successful part of our team is being tampered with. Leaves us with no expectations for next year. I really hope Schwartz knows what he's doing cuz if not, bye bye Marrone. Maybe it's for the better if it plays out that way who knows. But that also means 2015 we're cleaning house again. Smh.

I think that "not respected" part is a big stretch. It's very typical for a new DC or OC to want to bring his own guys. Sometimes some of the previous coaches are recruited, sometimes they're offered the chance to stay but may not have a "warm fuzzy" for how well they'll work with the new DC or how long of a leash they'll get, and sometimes they're not retained. So "not respected" is possibly part of it, but Pettine wanting to keep "his guys" and "his guys" feeling more comfortable sticking with Pettine than trying to build a relationship with the new DC or perhaps not liking something about Schwartz, is more likely.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more than a big stretch: it's silly. O'Neill got a promotion that I doubt he would have gotten with the Bills considering they seemed to be targeting Schwartz all along, Weaver (who currently isn't listed as a coach with either the Bills or Browns) had worked with Pettine in 2012 and this past season, Dreisbach got fired, and Hafley had barely been with the Bills.

It's more than a big stretch: it's silly. O'Neill got a promotion that I doubt he would have gotten with the Bills considering they seemed to be targeting Schwartz all along, Weaver (who currently isn't listed as a coach with either the Bills or Browns) had worked with Pettine in 2012 and this past season, Dreisbach got fired, and Hafley had barely been with the Bills.

This. Any whining about Pettine "stealing" our defensive staff from Marrone is ridiculous. The Bills could have kept whoever they wanted, if they really wanted to, but the fact that any of these guys left would be logical given the length of time they had been with Pettine vs. the less than a year they had been with the Bills. Hafley was a Pettine hire from the beginning, he was a secondary coach and we didn't need him. Edited by YoloinOhio

This. Any whining about Pettine "stealing" our defensive staff from Marrone is ridiculous. The Bills could have kept whoever they wanted, if they really wanted to, but the fact that any of these guys left would be logical given the length of time they had been with Pettine vs. the less than a year they had been with the Bills. Hafley was a Pettine hire from the beginning, he was a secondary coach and we didn't need him.

Well, I'm not sure if they could have kept anyone they wanted. Once Pettine took the HC job, he needed a DC and so did the Bills. Pettine hired O'Neil, but I think that if the Bills had offered him the DC job, he still would have gone with Pettine, who came over from the Jets with him. And had O'Neil taken the Bills' DC job, I think that Weaver still leaves because again he was with Pettine longer, but also that Henderson leaves because he got passed-up. At least with Schwartz, who had been not only a DC, but a HC, before, Henderson wasn't getting passed-up over another assistant.

Well, I'm not sure if they could have kept anyone they wanted. Once Pettine took the HC job, he needed a DC and so did the Bills. Pettine hired O'Neil, but I think that if the Bills had offered him the DC job, he still would have gone with Pettine, who came over from the Jets with him. And had O'Neil taken the Bills' DC job, I think that Weaver still leaves because again he was with Pettine longer, but also that Henderson leaves because he got passed-up. At least with Schwartz, who had been not only a DC, but a HC, before, Henderson wasn't getting passed-up over another assistant.

No, I don't think it was ever in play for O'Neil to be offered the DC job with the Bills so it doesn't matter. It makes sense for him to be promoted to DC with the Browns, as Pettine is the HC and has already said he plans to call all the plays. Had he been the DC in Bflo, with an offensive HC, he would have needed to run the whole defense and call the defensive plays, which he has no experience doing. He wasn't qualified to be the Bills DC. He is only qualifed to be the Browns DC because Pettine has him under his wing and can develop him, similar to how Rex groomed him in NY. Pettine will likely want O'Neil to take over the play calling in a year or 2. Henderson was the only one on the former staff that was qualified to be the Bills DC (based on experience in the role, not on success in the role). Pettine's guys had much more advancement opportunity with the Browns. I don't think Henderson would have left if another assistant was promoted to DC instead of him, but we'll never know. He was Marrone's guy to begin with. Edited by YoloinOhio

Pettine said he'll be calling the defense? Interesting and I agree that he'd have been a bad fit as DC with the Bills.

Yes, he said that the day he was hired and then again when O'Neil was hired. I really think he will be going the same path as Rex took with him. Edited by YoloinOhio