Weaver Now Browns D Line Coach

BRAWNDO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Pettine used Doug Marrone, and the Buffalo Bills, to get a chance at a Head Coaching gig...I hope he falls flat on his face.

We all new this coming in, just thought it would be next year. This is what coaches do, they want to advance their careers and become the top guy, can't blame him for that. You should be mad at Cleveland for firing their coach after one year, hope he drafts Manziel and wins superbowls.

Touche...but, Marrone stayed there for a while...I doubt he was expecting the NFL to come calling when it did.

Pettine knew all he had to do was get out from under Ryan, have a good year or two...and he would get his shot.

It just seems strange to me how it happened. That's all. (And I am bitter, I'll admit that...I really liked the guy, thought he was an amazing hire.)

i guess.... but if we all knew the plan was to jump and most expected it to realistically happen when offers were made next year - im not sure how surprised anyone, including marrone, could be. marrone allegedly was tutoring him on head coaching all season even.

i think it was generally part of the plan with the only surprise coming from the browns.

Henderson had previous connections to Marrone, not Pettine. He coached for Marrone at SU.

Henderson spent a couple seasons with Pettine when both were on the Ravens coaching staff. He knew Pettine pretty well I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

This one is kind of surprising. It's clear that he has a better liking to Pettine over Marrone. It's not like he left the Bills as a D-Line coach to become a DC in Cleveland. He left to become the same position coach somewhere else. I say good riddins. If you don't want to be here then I don't want you here.

I'm also starting to dislike Pettine more and more.

I am not sure it matters who he likes more. He came to Buffalo with Pettine. He is leaving with Pettine. If he had been here more than one year, and then chose to leave with him, it would more surprising.

Henderson spent a couple seasons with Pettine when both were on the Ravens coaching staff. He knew Pettine pretty well I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

Pettine hired Hafley two weeks ago, who is a secondary coach. He took Hafley with him. They had prior ties from Pitt. Didn't need Henderson, and Henderson was definitely a Marrone hire. Pettine may have known him, but didn't need to poach him. Edited by YoloinOhio

I am not sure it matters who he likes more. He came to Buffalo with Pettine. He is leaving with Pettine. If he had been here more than one year, and then chose to leave with him, it would more surprising.

Pettine hired Hafley two weeks ago, who is a secondary coach. He took Hafley with him. They had prior ties from Pitt. Didn't need Henderson, and Henderson was definitely a Marrone hire. Pettine may have known him, but didn't need to poach him.

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that Henderson had spent nearly as much time coaching along side Pettine as he did Marrone previously.

The only guys I considered "poached" from our squad are O'Neil and Weaver. And even then the term "poached" is overstating it. With the exception of Dreisbach, who wasn't with us at the time, every coach that left was given expressed permission to do so. And I think Fleury and especally Hafley, barely qualify anyway. IMO, we "kept" the best coach of the bunch in Donnie Henderson.

GO BILLS!!!

Henderson had previous connections to Marrone, not Pettine. He coached for Marrone at SU.

Is that why Doug looked and sounded pissed ?

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that Henderson had spent nearly as much time coaching along side Pettine as he did Marrone previously.

The only guys I considered "poached" from our squad are O'Neil and Weaver. And even then the term "poached" is overstating it. With the exception of Dreisbach, who wasn't with us at the time, every coach that left was given expressed permission to do so. And I think Fleury and especally Hafley, barely qualify anyway. IMO, we "kept" the best coach of the bunch in Donnie Henderson.

GO BILLS!!!

i agree about the Donnie Henderson . i have learned to love this man like a son .

This guy did a hell of a job here in one season and has my respect.

Weaver did a darned good job. But he had a lot to work with coming in. Henderson overcame adversity.

GoBills

GO BILLS!!!

I agree... Fleury was QC and we never knew Hafley. I surmise, just from watching and listening to Marrone, - they would have been OK with keeping O'Neil but felt he was replaceable, they really would have liked to keep Weaver but were not going to stand in his way given the set of circumstances, Hafley was never even on the staff, Fleury was replaceable as QC, and he thought Dreisbach wasn't a good enough NFL LB coach.

I am amused that some people here in Ohio feel that these guys "jumped ship" to go with Pettine and that is a feather in his cap as he must be a great coach to "steal" all these guys. He very well may be a great coach. But they were only here for a year or less. They followed the guy they came in with, The Bills could have kept any of them. I think Weaver was the only one they even tried to fight for. My guess is Schwartzy doesn't care either way and has guys he is looking at. It really would not have made much sense for any of those guys to stay here.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope this doesn't turn into a hiring my buddies type thing. I would like to think that all the coaching holes will be filled with the best personnel available to help this team finish next season with a winning record, and hopefully a strong playoff appearance. This "good ole boy" mentality doesn't win super bowls. It keeps teams out of the playoffs for 14 years.

I hope this doesn't turn into a hiring my buddies type thing. I would like to think that all the coaching holes will be filled with the best personnel available to help this team finish next season with a winning record, and hopefully a strong playoff appearance. This "good ole boy" mentality doesn't win super bowls. It keeps teams out of the playoffs for 14 years.

It is for Pettine Edited by YoloinOhio

Hmmm...Maybe Pettine couldn't find anybody better at this late point in the off season... At least O'neil gets a coordinator job. For Weaver it is a lateral move.

Don't see any of this being a big deal if they do not fix the offensive line and address the linebackers. Pettine couldn't stop the run last year with the guys he had and neither will Schwartz.

Why? He is pretty close with Marrone, has had a working relationship with him for years...and Marrone brought him here, not Pettine.

Mike Pettine used Doug Marrone, and the Buffalo Bills, to get a chance at a Head Coaching gig...I hope he falls flat on his face.

Why didn't you make the same comment when Marronne brought everyone from Syracuse, leaving the University to make significant replacements. It happens. Coaching staff tend to stick together. That is also the reason why the HC avoids sacking coordinators or position coaches very easily. There is a severe sense of loyalty between them.

Pettine knew all he had to do was get out from under Ryan, have a good year or two...and he would get his shot.

The thing is that he only got his shot because it was dysfunctional Cleveland. And even then he was like their 3rd or 4th option. Pettine will fall flat on his face and I won't feel any pity for him, he decided to take a job that the other premiere coordinators knew to be toxic because he wanted the job NOW. He was in line to have a top 5-10 D this year with all that talent and he'd get better opportunities next year or the year after. And while he's right that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world its also true that most first time HC failures don't get second chances - so you better make sure that first time is a perfect fit.