Schwartz and Belichick parallels

TPS

It seems that Schwartz and Belichick have some interesting career parallels. While it's been reported that Schwartz started his career as an intern under Belichick, here are some other commonalities:

- Both played football at good academic institutions at the DIII level.

- Both majored in economics.

- Both cut their teeth as (eventual) D coordinators under a couple of very good coaches, Parcells and Fisher.

- In their first HC positions, both were able to get their teams to the playoffs within a few years.

- Both then were fired a year or two after that playoff appearance.

- Both went back and took D coordinator positions after losing their HC jobs.

Belichick spent another 4 years a D coordinator for Parcells' teams before landing his next HC gig with the Pats. The rest is history, as they say...

You can prob find the same similarities in a lot of coaches

Swartz never really impressed me as head coach of the Lions as I never felt like they were a well coached team. He may be one of those coaches that is just better suited as a coordinator though. In saying that I'm not unhappy with this hire, it could have been worse which I was actually expecting.

I was hoping probably unrealistically that they would bring Wade back and go with more of a traditional 3-4 and also get Hughes on the field more

Edited by Max997

I always liked Schwartz's demeanor. He's a blunt, competitive guy with an edge to him. He's about the best the Bills could have hoped for to replace Pettine. Great hire IMO

Yes. Additionally, it seems like some guys that talk a lot are well-suited to be DCs (Mike Zimmer, Gregg Williams, Rex Ryan, hopefully Schwartz) as opposed to HCs where their candor can get them in trouble.

I came on here to flame the idea, but ya know what....your comparison is valid and based on fact. Well done. Now where Schwartz goes from here might not follow, but let's hope....why not....

No one will ever do what Belichick (in combination with Brady) has done, but I just found their similarities interesting.

In John Murphy's interview with Schwartz yesterday, he mentioned an anecdote by Gregg Williams when he became the Bills HC. GW said that the guy taking over in Tenn (Schwartz) was going to be even better.

There's a lot to like about the guy.

As an econ major, I wonder if Schwartz is into analytics.

There's been a lot reported that he is into analytics. In fact, there is a story that he told Belichick that fumbles were irrelevant--there was no correlation between good/bad teams and fumbles; it was totally random. Belichick still didn't believe him though.

Does he cheat?

Didn't he and Hardpaw go at it once?

I forgot about that. I think I love the guy now!