Jimmy Graham unhappy with Saints

Coach Klein

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I recall, didn't they take a while to do Brees's last deal as well, which wasn't a good look considering they were in the middle of Bounty Gate and really needed his leadership?

Yup. Even went to court over the amount the tag would be. Even if this goes a little messy, I think it'll get done by July.

The issue Jimmy Graham has, and it may affect fantasy football as well, is that if he and the Saints don't come to an agreement, and he gets tagged, the Saints will tag him as a TE. But Graham is planning to argue, that because he lined up outside for 67% of his snaps this year, he should be considered a wide receiver, not a tight end. The tag difference between WR and TE is about $4.5M.

But Graham is planning to argue, that because he lined up outside for 67% of his snaps this year, he should be considered a wide receiver, not a tight end. The tag difference between WR and TE is about $4.5M.

You can't blame the Saints for trying, but to me it's pretty clear cut that if he lined up as a WR for 67% of the plays, then he should be a WR for the purposes of the franchise tag.

You can't blame the Saints for trying, but to me it's pretty clear cut that if he lined up as a WR for 67% of the plays, then he should be a WR for the purposes of the franchise tag.

The problem being, how often do other TEs lineup at WR? A lot. How often do WRs go in line with a hand on the ground? Never.

I think its a fair debate and will be an interesting one given the changing nature of the nfl tight end and spread offenses.

The issue Jimmy Graham has, and it may affect fantasy football as well, is that if he and the Saints don't come to an agreement, and he gets tagged, the Saints will tag him as a TE. But Graham is planning to argue, that because he lined up outside for 67% of his snaps this year, he should be considered a wide receiver, not a tight end. The tag difference between WR and TE is about $4.5M.

Exactly. Not as clear cut as the Brees issue, but I'd be just as shocked if they let him walk.

The bigger question is what impact will Graham's contract have in the rest of the team?

I am a Colston fan but he makes a lot of money for a guy that doesn't put up big stats so I could see him as a casualty of this

The bigger question is what impact will Graham's contract have in the rest of the team?

I am a Colston fan but he makes a lot of money for a guy that doesn't put up big stats so I could see him as a casualty of this

My take is he has 1 more year then Jimmy's raise gets covered by his departure (or atleast major reworking of his deal). This year I don't believe there a big cap benefit to the cut.

My take is he has 1 more year then Jimmy's raise gets covered by his departure (or atleast major reworking of his deal). This year I don't believe there a big cap benefit to the cut.

How do you guys keep track of the cap situation of other teams when I can't even get the hang of the Bills cap!

How do you guys keep track of the cap situation of other teams when I can't even get the hang of the Bills cap!

Living in New Orleans and their games mattering into January, they are a hobby of mine. I enjoy talking football and it's easier to find saints fans to do it with. Around the league I'm hardpressed to talk more than quick surface observations like seattles pending cap quandary with all the rookie deal stars (and possibly with the SB premium about to be added to all of them)

My sense is that Jimmy's contract will be around what Mike Wallace got last year. Will Smith, Harper and Vilma will be casualties to ind the room. They have some high paid vets that are not contributing (really). Saints fans will be happy to see Harper go; he is like their Chris Watson. He can't cover anybody.

My sense is that Jimmy's contract will be around what Mike Wallace got last year. Will Smith, Harper and Vilma will be casualties to ind the room. They have some high paid vets that are not contributing (really). Saints fans will be happy to see Harper go; he is like their Chris Watson. He can't cover anybody.

That begs the question of what they do about de la Puente, Strief, Smith, Jenkins, etc

The problem being, how often do other TEs lineup at WR? A lot. How often do WRs go in line with a hand on the ground? Never.

I think its a fair debate and will be an interesting one given the changing nature of the nfl tight end and spread offenses.

It is interesting . Almost time to create a new category for these hybrid TE players.

Billsfan_34 , i like it actually. good call in theory .

And Bandit , we pick up Strief !