Jimmy Graham unhappy with Saints

Coach Klein

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue Jimmy Graham has, and it may affect fantasy football as well, is that if he and the Saints don't come to an agreement, and he gets tagged, the Saints will tag him as a TE. But Graham is planning to argue, that because he lined up outside for 67% of his snaps this year, he should be considered a wide receiver, not a tight end. The tag difference between WR and TE is about $4.5M.

He can argue he's the Queen of England, but he's a TE and never listed as otherwise by the team. As NoSaint said, he puts his hand on the ground once, he's a TE.

He can argue he's the Queen of England, but he's a TE and never listed as otherwise by the team. As NoSaint said, he puts his hand on the ground once, he's a TE.

You are wrong. Hernandez won used this argument before and Graham will win use this argument as well. It worked for Hernandez and Finley as others have pointed out. He may not get the full WR tag but he won't get the TE tag.

***Fixed***

Edited by Dragonborn10

The bigger question is what impact will Graham's contract have in the rest of the team?

I am a Colston fan but he makes a lot of money for a guy that doesn't put up big stats so I could see him as a casualty of this

I wouldn't mind that. Pick up Colston if he gets cut. I agree he is currently overpaid.

You are wrong. Hernandez won this argument before and Graham will win this argument as well. He may not get the full WR tag but he won't get the TE tag.

Fairly sure Hernandez did not as he was extended 2 years before free agency. I'm guessing you are thinking of jermichael Finley who signed a two year deal instead of going to court over it.

They'll never let him walk. The problem is these QB's we want eat up so much of the cap, it is hard to keep all of your talent.

except Brady unlike Manning and Brees he restructured to bring more guys in- then they didnt do it

if the Bills get a crack at Graham they have to knock him down with the offer, other wise he's just playing us

Edited by CardinalScotts

If you accept All Pro and Pro Bowl honors at a position then that is your position. He should have told the voters to only consider him at WR when handing out awards if he was so against being a TE.

He also seemed to partake actively in the race with gronk to set the record for receiving yards as a TE and a variety of other TE honors. I didn't see him going into week 17 of 2011 saying "it's no big deal, I'm not a TE so I'm hundreds of yards shy of the WR record."

except Brady unlike Manning and Brees he restructured to bring more guys in- then they didnt do it

if the Bills get a crack at Graham they have to knock him down with the offer, other wise he's just playing us

I highly doubt the bills get a crack a graham but Do u think we would offer him a contract if we did?

What are you talking about?

Hernandez's contract negotiations were focused around the way he was used not the way he was played. He got a windmill fall for his play - the Pats knew how good he was and was worth every dime to be paid as a TE/WR.

It will be similar for us with CJ Spiller coming due. He should be paid as a starting RB but he has only once cracked 1,000 yards. Even if he lights it up next year and gets 1,000 yards he will still only average just above 800 yards a season over his first 5 years. That's nothing to the level he is supposed to be and it is clear why. He has split time with Fred Jackson who has averaged 797 the last 4 years (CJ = 755). He will want to be paid as a starter and should be paid as a starter, but he has not been the "starting" RB on this team nor the best RB on this team for 4 seasons.

Contracts get awful murky when you look beyond position, stats, and average payout. Graham has a very good chance to cause a headache in New Orleans and help every other player to come next.

Hernandez's contract negotiations were focused around the way he was used not the way he was played. He got a windmill fall for his play - the Pats knew how good he was and was worth every dime to be paid as a TE/WR.

It will be similar for us with CJ Spiller coming due. He should be paid as a starting RB but he has only once cracked 1,000 yards. Even if he lights it up next year and gets 1,000 yards he will still only average just above 800 yards a season over his first 5 years. That's nothing to the level he is supposed to be and it is clear why. He has split time with Fred Jackson who has averaged 797 the last 4 years (CJ = 755). He will want to be paid as a starter and should be paid as a starter, but he has not been the "starting" RB on this team nor the best RB on this team for 4 seasons.

Contracts get awful murky when you look beyond position, stats, and average payout. Graham has a very good chance to cause a headache in New Orleans and help every other player to come next.

They may have payed him (nearly) WR money, but he didn't demand to be called a WR, or payed like one. They paid him what they thought was reasonable.

Spiller is a situational back, but he is a RB, He's never going to get paid like an AP. I agree with you there.

He also seemed to partake actively in the race with gronk to set the record for receiving yards as a TE and a variety of other TE honors. I didn't see him going into week 17 of 2011 saying "it's no big deal, I'm not a TE so I'm hundreds of yards shy of the WR record."

A funny little aside: I used to be really good friends with a teammate of Graham's with the Saints. I went to this little end of the year party with him a few years back after the last game. It was the year that Graham and Gronk went back and forth with the TE records.

Anyways, Jimmy was pretty drunk when we were talking with him. He was saying how he doesn't like Gronk and how he is better and how he broke the record was BS and yada, yada, yada. He also was mother f'ing Belicheck. He said that he would "punch him in the face if he had the chance." Apparently Belicheck called him prior to him being drafted and assured him that if he was on the board at a particular spot they would take him. Sure enough he was on the board and they went in a different direction. He has held this big grudge since then I guess. I don't know him that well but it was funny that he liked the Pats about as much as I do.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

A funny little aside: I used to be really good friends with a teammate of Graham's with the Saints. I went to this little end of the year party with him a few years back after the last game. It was the year that Graham and Gronk went back and forth with the TE records.

Anyways, Jimmy was pretty drunk when we were talking with him. He was saying how he doesn't like Gronk and how he is better and how he broke the record was BS and yada, yada, yada. He also was mother f'ing Belicheck. He said that he would "punch him in the face if he had the chance." Apparently Belicheck called him prior to him being drafted and assured him that if he was on the board at a particular spot they would take him. Sure enough he was on the board and they went in a different direction. He has held this big grudge since then I guess. I don't know him that well but it was funny that he liked the Pats about as much as I do.

When I hang with athletes/celebs I don't repeat what they say since I assume it is to be kept private.

Way to narc.

When I hang with athletes/celebs I don't repeat what they say since I assume it is to be kept private.

Sorry, thought that it was interesting and I really don't know the guy or feel any loyalty to him. At the same time when you are yelling "eff that mother effer" in a room of about 200 people I don't think that he cared if word got out. He was talking about not liking someone, not about cheating on his wife. It wasn't exactly his deepest darkest secret.

In the future I will only post thoughts on whether or not EJ Manuel will develop into a franchise QB.

Weird how he was comparing himself to gronk, since he fancies himself a WR.

On a side note- can you imagine if they ended up with gronk and graham instead of Hernandez?