Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of y'all are dramatic. I think I've been the most negative bringing up concerns and I've never said doomed, simply that I don't think it's the slam dunk some do.

The question is what would the slam dunk move have been?

Promote Donnie Henderson? Major question marks as a dc.

Hire wade? Scheme switch as well as the supposed bad blood.

Hire pepper Johnson? No experience as well as questions from his former organization about his qualifications to do the job.

There are some in this thread that are down on this hire while banging the drum that Marrone should have been fired and pettine promoted. This to me was the best possible move that could have been made.

Also you referenced this being a friend hire as one of your concerns. Is there a previous connection between Marrone and Schwartz?

I don't know if this point was raised but this is the second big hire the Bills made a quick decision. Wasn't Marrone the first HC hire last year? The Bills didn't let this linger, which to me is a massive change. The Bills never hired anyone fast when Ralph was involved. Maybe it was because no one wanted to work for Ralph. Now we get a name hire right off the bat, no messing around. This is different for Buffalo.

PTR

Is there a previous connection between Marrone and Schwartz?

Strong loyalty from Schwartz to Crossman through his Detroit special teams debacles leads me to believe that, to steal pettines phrase, they all would eat lunch together... But I don't fully know the dynamic behind the scenes

We play Detroit this year. Lookout - Thanksgiving game incoming!

It is documented that the thanksgiving game is going to be either lions/bills or lions/dolphins. Personally I hope the fins get it. Don't need the bills ruining the best holiday

Strong loyalty from Schwartz to Crossman through his Detroit special teams debacles leads me to believe that, to steal pettines phrase, they all would eat lunch together... But I don't fully know the dynamic behind the scenes

Alright that is a huge stretch to me as the buddy buddy hire that many like to kill Brandon and Marrone for though.

I have to ask though since you are not on board... What hire would you have been on board with? I laid out some of the concerns about the other candidates so I'm curious who and why would have been a better hire to you.

It is documented that the thanksgiving game is going to be either lions/bills or lions/dolphins. Personally I hope the fins get it. Don't need the bills ruining the best holiday

I'm in the opposite camp I would love a thanksgiving day Bills game!

I don't know if this point was raised but this is the second big hire the Bills made a quick decision. Wasn't Marrone the first HC hire last year? The Bills didn't let this linger, which to me is a massive change. The Bills never hired anyone fast when Ralph was involved. Maybe it was because no one wanted to work for Ralph. Now we get a name hire right off the bat, no messing around. This is different for Buffalo.

PTR

Regardless of outcome. This is a fair point. The bills are operating differently. Lets all hope for the best :)

maybe we can trade them to Cleveland

I don't know about all of this 4-3 3-4 stuff anymore. I mean, if we are talking George Chan's DC whatever his name is, then yeah, it matters, because that guy is a system coach.

However, when you start getting to into elite DCs like Dick Lebeau, I'm pretty sure they could run whatever defense they want to run. Today, we play nickel almost as our base defense, so the whole argument largely goes out the window anyway. Which one is Schwartz? Given Tennessee? I'd say more closer to Lebeau.

In all cases, Nickel Robey(since the draft is coming, a subtle reminder: he is a Defensive Back :lol:) becomes more important than whoever plays SLB/34OLB/ILB. Which...is why I keep saying: We always have to be looking to draft DBs. This is not 1985. Jim McMahon isn't cool because he wears headbands, Miami Vice isn't cool because the wear loose fitting pastels, and 4-3 Defenses that are built to stop the I Formation aren't cool either.

This late in the game there are not a lot of great choices. The best DC in the world rarely have top defenses in both the run and the pass every year. Stats can be skewed a hundred ways. The simple fact to me is, the guy was a good DC, is experienced, has a lot to prove, and inherits a ton of talent. Marrone and Whaley moved quick and got a name guy with a good resume, and receiving universally good kudos (which, granted, mean little).

Schwartz is pretty young, aggressive, and has a lot to prove. His abilities as a HC mean nothing. Of all the possibilities this is a very good choice at first blush, and very different from past Bills hires. The new management paradigm, to me, is just that: New.

That glorious turkey is going to taste like crap after a heartbreaking bills loss

Eh p$&s in my Koolaid was never my favorite flavor... Think about how great that food would taste after a big w!

Edit: my apologies I thought the filter would have caught that!

Edited by section122

This late in the game there are not a lot of great choices. The best DC in the world rarely have top defenses in both the run and the pass every year. Stats can be skewed a hundred ways. The simple fact to me is, the guy was a good DC, is experienced, has a lot to prove, and inherits a ton of talent. Marrone and Whaley moved quick and got a name guy with a good resume, and receiving universally good kudos (which, granted, mean little).

Schwartz is pretty young, aggressive, and has a lot to prove. His abilities as a HC mean nothing. Of all the possibilities this is a very good choice at first blush, and very different from past Bills hires. The new management paradigm, to me, is just that: New.

I like your perspective now. Lets hope I like it a year from now