pats* off season departures

YoloinOhio

Interesting development here. IMO Pettine is gone. Not being negative, but it looks like he's the only guy that wants the job at this point. Right place, right time, and good for him. For those posters saying that this wouldn't be a "step up" for MP going from B-lo's DC gig to the Brown's HC I don't agree. If you're a coach in the NFL and you're offered a HC gig you take it and make the most of it. When MP leaves I hope the Bills FO reaches out to Pepper Johnson for the open DC position. This is a guy that has played for and coached under Belichick for 20 years. Love to have that kind of insight on our side.

They should call him right now.

Does Wilson permit long distance calls? Could email him, I guess.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call him now, say we will hire you as the LB Coach, and if (more like when) Pettine takes the DC job promote you to that. Then get Spikes in FA.

your fired.

But Pepper might have potential.

I am thinking Bills are going youngsters and up and up and comers the next two years mostly

I would call him now, say we will hire you as the LB Coach, and if (more like when) Pettine takes the DC job promote you to that. Then get Spikes in FA.

What has Pepper Johnson ever done to deserve to be considered as a candidate to come in and be DC? He was a good player, yes. However, NE passed him over when they had an opening at DC - I think that the Pats know coaches...

Besides, anyone coming in from the outside would likely change the scheme and shake up the other assistant coaches - the LAST thing the team needs is more turnover in coaching and schemes.

I acknowledge that there isn't a viable DC on the current staff, but bringing someone in from the outside is another step back for this beleaguered franchise.

What has Pepper Johnson ever done to deserve to be considered as a candidate to come in and be DC? He was a good player, yes. However, NE passed him over when they had an opening at DC - I think that the Pats know coaches...

Besides, anyone coming in from the outside would likely change the scheme and shake up the other assistant coaches - the LAST thing the team needs is more turnover in coaching and schemes.

I acknowledge that there isn't a viable DC on the current staff, but bringing someone in from the outside is another step back for this beleaguered franchise.

This isn't just anyone

Correct, it is Pepper Johnson- former great player. Jim Haslett was a great player, too, but has not really stood out as a DC in the NFL.

If Bill Belichick thought he was a good coach, he'd have been NE's DC by now.

Exactly. He's been coaching for 14 years and no one has offered him a DC job yet. Tells me there's not exactly going to be a feeding frenzy over him.

Exactly. He's been coaching for 14 years and no one has offered him a DC job yet. Tells me there's not exactly going to be a feeding frenzy over him.

Maybe that is the case, but maybe not. Teams may have reached out to him about DC openings but he chose not to interview and wait it out in NE. This happens a lot with coches at very successful teams and he seeme dvery happy there and loyal. But as with a lot of people who don't see returned loyalty and have personal goals, they make a tough decision to move on. You don't know what Bellicheck told him would happen behind closed doors and maybe did another. Very common. Also I sense there might be a connection with the whole Spikes incident.

i dont see the johnson hiring as likely (though possible, we have a hole, pettine is surely familiar with him whether thats a pro or con, i dont know)... spikes i dont think we chase. in order for a scheme like we run to operate on all cylinders, he has to be able to cover. we will ask linebackers to cover wrs, and he cant do that, even if hes a good thumper. its part of not being able to pencil any of the guys on defense in as having an obvious every play role.

i dont see the johnson hiring as likely (though possible, we have a hole, pettine is surely familiar with him whether thats a pro or con, i dont know)... spikes i dont think we chase. in order for a scheme like we run to operate on all cylinders, he has to be able to cover. we will ask linebackers to cover wrs, and he cant do that, even if hes a good thumper. its part of not being able to pencil any of the guys on defense in as having an obvious every play role.

I do not want Spikes. But fwiw Pepper and Spikes are tight. Something went down with Spikes and Bellicheat that lead to the season ending IR for missing a meeting. I have to think there is a link in there somewhere to why he is leaving as it is a huge shock.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10334546/dante-scarnecchia-long-new-england-patriots-offensive-line-coach-retiring

Fresh blood on the defense? House cleaning on the horizon? Just coincidence? Out smarting the rest of the league again?

What are these guys up to?

Coincidence that a 70 year old coach decided to retire before the season was over, and pepper johnson decided after 10 years he wanted to be more than a position coach? I'd guess yes, unrelated.