Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like what?

id want the fully guaranteed dollars to be high and long term, and potentially some added layers of what i control being very well spelled out as jumping off points. normally not an issue, but it seems giving up control is an issue the owner may have.

That's what I want to know. Are we going to lose other defensive positional coaches?

Damn, this sucks!

He can'tjust take coaches with him. The Bills would need to agree to let them out of their contracts. Prior to March 1st, they need to agree to let non-HCs to interview for HC jobs. But non-HCs (position coaches, coordinators) are all the same. Even if he wanted to take O'Neil to be his DC, the Bills could block that. That said, they may choose to let him go if that is what he wants to do. They won't let everyone go, of course.

id want the fully guaranteed dollars to be high and long term, and potentially some added layers of what i control being very well spelled out as jumping off points. normally not an issue, but it seems giving up control is an issue the owner may have.

The dollar amoutn you can negotiate. The ultimate term of the contract, as Chud and others will attest to, is non-negotiable.

Control is about all he can bargain for after price.

He can'tjust take coaches with him. The Bills would need to agree to let them out of their contracts. Prior to March 1st, they need to agree to let non-HCs to interview for HC jobs. But non-HCs (position coaches, coordinators) are all the same. Even if he wanted to take O'Neil to be his DC, the Bills could block that. That said, they may choose to let him go if that is what he wants to do. They won't let everyone go, of course.

In the end.... organizations have to let coaches walk if they see another opportunity as a step up. Word gets out quickly in coaches circles which organizations are good to work for. Buffalo would be bad-mouthed to no end if they didn't let coaches leave if they desired to.

Edited by zow2

Cleveland is a pathetic joke of a town and this moved is bush league and unprofessional.

That's an asinine comment. Cleveland is a good city with good people and not too different from Buffalo. Why attack them? That city and its fans have suffered enough at the hands of the succession of owners and front offices of the Browns.

The team is a different story. It has been a joke since '99. Virtually any Browns fan will tell you that. The current owner is a crook. The president (Banner) is in way over his head and the GM (Lombardi) has a horrific track record. They all deserve a lot of criticism and the team, the city and the league would be better off of they all exited. But what is bush league about hiring a good coordinator to be their head coach? It might or might not be the right move. The front office might very well prevent him from winning. It certainly sucks for Bills fans. But what is bush league about it?

Like what?

I think I'd start with: "You will not fire me after 1 year, like you did with the last guy, after trading away his RB, and intentionally tanking the season with every subsequent FO move."

I'd also go with: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every 2 draft picks you trade away." (This way, when they do whatever the hell they do to get Manziel, and follow the same ruinous course as the Redskins, Pettine is insured against the results of their stupidity.)

I think I'd also do: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every year my defense is in the top 10, but my offense is in the bottom ten. If this happens 3 years in a row, then then Pettine gets the GM job, or gets to hire a new GM."

You have to do something about Cleveland's drafting. It's far worse than ours, especially since Buddy/Whaley arrived. If I was Pettine, I'd demand final say on every single draft pick for the first 2 years....or something like that.

We know Pettine, he will start yelling at those Cleveland FO people, and they will cower.

The dollar amoutn you can negotiate. The ultimate term of the contract, as Chud and others will attest to, is non-negotiable.

The term of the contract is certainly negotiable. What's not negotiable is the term of holding down the position.

That's an asinine comment. Cleveland is a good city with good people and not too different from Buffalo. Why attack them? That city and its fans have suffered enough at the hands of the succession of owners and front offices of the Browns.

The team is a different story. It has been a joke since '99. Virtually any Browns fan will tell you that. The current owner is a crook. The president (Banner) is in way over his head and the GM (Lombardi) has a horrific track record. They all deserve a lot of criticism and the team, the city and the league would be better off of they all exited. But what is bush league about hiring a good coordinator to be their head coach? It might or might not be the right move. The front office might very well prevent him from winning. It certainly sucks for Bills fans. But what is bush league about it?

I agree with all of this. But I do think fans are more upset today than they were when Chud was fired. They held out hope that they had a great replacement in their back pocket if they are going to pull the trigger so fast on a guy and 2 cordinators who actually appeared to do a decent job. But they ended up with their 14th choice. No one knows how it will turn out. But their is a sick feeling in a lot of Browns fans stomach right now.

In the end.... organizations have to let coaches walk if they see another opportunity as a step up. Word gets out quickly in coaches circles which organizations are good to work for. Buffalo would be bad-mouthed to no end if they didn't let coaches leave if they desired to.

That's an excellent point.

...and if you block a guy that either wants to follow a coach or a promotion, you perhaps might end up keeping around a disgruntled employee

right, clearly he could be fired, but id want essentially every dollar guaranteed regardless of if i worked 6 months or a full 3-4 years. which is something that is negotiable. id want the jay gruden 5 year full guarantee as opposed to the rex ryan only 2 years promised of the next 3+ remaining.

I agree with all of this. But I do think fans are more upset today than they were when Chud was fired. They held out hope that they had a great replacement in their back pocket if they are going to pull the trigger so fast on a guy and 2 cordinators who actually appeared to do a decent job. But they ended up with their 14th choice. No one knows how it will turn out. But their is a sick feeling in a lot of Browns fans stomach right now.

They are high, stupid, insane, take your pick.

Pettine is the prototypical NFL head coach. Good motivator, good teacher, more respected than feared, but...you do not get on his bad side.

I would hire Pettine 1000 out of 1000 times before I'd hire Josh McDaniels, or any of the rest of the guys they've looked at.

Pettine is a better coach than all of them and the Browns getting him does real damage to us that we can't readily fix.

Browns fans are getting a much better choice than their franchise deserves, given the ineptitude of their FO.

theres a balance to be had. coaches realize that the team has an interest to protect. just like FORCING everyone to stay would be frowned upon by some, rolling over and giving carte blanch to a guy leaving after 1 year to take his full staff could be seen as not supporting your head coach.

Edited by NoSaint

I'll bet we're going to find out that Pettine only came here with the assurance that he would be allowed to interview for HC openings. Lots of other clubs slammed the door on other clubs tampering with their staff. Not so in Buffalo.

We will survive. Consider the fact that a guy like Gus Bradley bolted the Seahawks, and they didn't miss a beat (and their new guy--Quinn-- supposedly is the new hot HC candidate).

How many years was he with the Hawks? This is a young team that's been through too many defensive transitions. Pettine worked. And well. The only downside, and it's correctable, was giving up too many big runs. This D was one piece away from being elite. I've got to think any new DC will at best lead a stagnant D, but I've got to think it takes a step back.

Wish they had hired Hacket. That guy needs a few more seasons before he can hang with Billichick.

theres a balance to be had. coaches realize that the team has an interest to protect. just like FORCING everyone to stay would be frowned upon by some, rolling over and giving carte blanch to a guy leaving after 1 year to take his full staff could be seen as not supporting your head coach.

You have to bank on the fact that Marrone hired those assistant coaches and they will be loyal to Marrone, not Pettine. It's very rare that a new first time head coach would be able to take an entire defensive staff with him. It's not like the Bills are in turmoil or just let their head coach go. They have some good young talent and expected to take a leap forward in 2014.