The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

It is impossible to engage in a reasonable argument with anyone that argues from an alternate plane that isn't grounded in reality. Yes, the added amendments to the constitution are just as valid and recognized by the US legislative branch as those words that were written back in 1787.

Edited by Magox

It is impossible to engage in a reasonable argument with anyone that argues from an alternate plane that isn't grounded in reality. Yes, the added amendments to the constitution are just as valid and recognized by the US legislative branch as those words that were written back in 1787.

You need to consider what sorts of taxes the Amendment was designed to collect at the time it was written, just as you need to view the text of the original document in the time it was written.

The 16th was written in order that the government could collect taxes on interest, rents, and dividends in response to Pollock vs. Farmers' Loan & Trust.

The health care industry is bound to collapse soon, experts say.

The US health care sector may be incubating the next big Lehman-style disaster that could tip the economy into a full-blown recession, according to industry analysts.

Forget about the subprime mortgage collapse. The health care sector is nursing its own toxic mess, with soaring debt, the analysts say. “As a nation, we have to step up our game and get on top of it; this is a huge issue,” said Chris Oretis, a former Washington lobbyist who now works as executive vice president in the life insurance secondary markets at GWG Holdings.

As industry spending and debt servicing rage out of control, health care is ranked as the No. 1 US “systemic recession risk” in a new report. The sums at stake are staggering: Spending in the sector accounted for $3.3 trillion in 2015, and is 18 percent of the US economy today. The industry generates 16 percent of private sector jobs nationwide, up from 10 percent in 1990.

US health care spending is forecast to grow by an average 5.6 percent annually in the coming decade, according to a report by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), a projection based on no changes out of Washington and in the Affordable Care Care through 2025. Meanwhile, national spending on health care is forecast to outpace US gross domestic product growth by 1.2 percent. CMS has estimated that spending will comprise 19.9 percent of GDP by 2025, up from 17.8 percent in 2015.

“There’s no question that rising health care costs are hurting our overall economy,” said New York-based financial adviser Michael Mondiello. “With consumer spending accounting for some 70 percent of economic activity, the more we spend on health care, the less we have to purchase other things like a vacation or to save for retirement.”

{snip}

“Health care companies borrowed too much money, and have grown their debt faster than their revenue, so you have to have a pullback.”

Earlier this year, for example, MD Anderson Cancer, Houston’s second-biggest employer, said it was slashing 1,000 jobs amid losses that surpassed $100 million in one quarter alone. Job growth overall in the health care sector is slowing.

In a report published by Burns, health care is identified as the largest systemic risk to the economy, of the three sectors Burns examined, which also included technology and automotive.

The conventional wisdom points to US demographic trends, and an aging population, as supportive of the long-term strength, but the report shows industry growth has surpassed what is sustainable:

• Health care company debt is up 308 percent since 2009.
  • The number of hospitals in health systems has expanded by 26 percent since 1999.
  • The yearly medical costs for a family of four have jumped 189 percent since 2002, from $9,000 to $26,000.

“It could be like a Lehman Brothers scenario, where a couple of big health care companies take the economy down,” Burns told The Post.

Oregon lawmakers consider ending Medicaid expansion to shore up budget.

Democratic lawmakers in Oregon are considering ending the state's Medicaid expansion in an effort to address a $1.6 billion budget shortfall.

The state's Ways and Means committee, which includes both senators and representatives, suggested cutting Medicaid expansion in an effort to curb Oregon's $1.6 billion budget deficit.

"We are simply laying out possibilities for how the state may deal with the stark realities of a projected $1.6 billion deficit," Rep. Nancy Nathanson, co-chair of the Ways and Means committee said in an email.

Ending Medicaid expansion, which has led to 350,000 people gaining coverage, would save the state $256 million over the next two years.

The Affordable Care Act fully funded Medicaid expansion though the end of 2016, but now the state will foot an increasing share of the costs. The federal match rate falls to 95% in 2017, 94% in 2018, 93% in 2019, and then 90% in 2020 and beyond.

Not sustainable.......................THAT MEANS IT’S WORKING

Oregon lawmakers consider ending Medicaid expansion to shore up budget.

Democratic lawmakers in Oregon are considering ending the state's Medicaid expansion in an effort to address a $1.6 billion budget shortfall.

The state's Ways and Means committee, which includes both senators and representatives, suggested cutting Medicaid expansion in an effort to curb Oregon's $1.6 billion budget deficit.

"We are simply laying out possibilities for how the state may deal with the stark realities of a projected $1.6 billion deficit," Rep. Nancy Nathanson, co-chair of the Ways and Means committee said in an email.

Ending Medicaid expansion, which has led to 350,000 people gaining coverage, would save the state $256 million over the next two years.

The Affordable Care Act fully funded Medicaid expansion though the end of 2016, but now the state will foot an increasing share of the costs. The federal match rate falls to 95% in 2017, 94% in 2018, 93% in 2019, and then 90% in 2020 and beyond.

Not sustainable.......................THAT MEANS IT’S WORKING

Someone is not paying their fair share

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/331478-gop-struggles-to-find-obamacare-repeal-votes

The Republican bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare appears to lack sufficient votes to pass the House, despite hopes from GOP leaders and the White House that it might be approved by the lower chamber this week.

According to The Hill's whip list, 21 Republicans oppose the bill — the maximum number of GOP defections that can be afforded — assuming every Democrat also votes against it.

The latest Republican to announce his opposition is Rep. Billy Long (Mo.), a staunch conservative who often says he was “Tea Party before Tea Party was cool.”

He told The Hill he wouldn't support the bill because of the impact it could have on people with preexisting conditions.

“I have always stated that one of the few good things about ObamaCare is that people with pre-existing conditions would be covered,” Long said in a statement to The Hill.

“The MacArthur amendment strips away any guarantee that pre-existing conditions would be covered and affordable.”

A sense of gloom settled over House Republicans on Tuesday as support for their Obamacare repeal plan seemed to erode even further and members began reckoning with the unthinkable: They may never be able to repeal Obamacare.

But House GOP leaders and the White House kicked into high gear Tuesday night in a last-ditch effort to save the bill.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/02/republicans-obamacare-repeal-votes-237871?lo=ap_a1

[For those of you with gatorman on ignore, ridiculous verbiage removed courtesy of DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.10. You're welcome.]

[This is an automated response.]

GreatAllAdder.gif

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.10.

I closed the other thread because it's starting to affect board performance.

after all this time you would think they could have built a system that didnt have that problem. my sftw engineering was a lifetime ago and i never worked on that specific problem but i would think a solution would be available

after all this time you would think they could have built a system that didnt have that problem. my sftw engineering was a lifetime ago and i never worked on that specific problem but i would think a solution would be available

[This is an automated response.]

GreatAllAdder.gif

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.10.

My guess is they pass it by one vote tomorrow to protect the most purple "moderate" GOP members of Congress. I still think it will die in the Senate though once the CBO score comes out on the revised bill and the enormous amount of public pressure they'll face.

My guess is they pass it by one vote tomorrow to protect the most purple "moderate" GOP members of Congress. I still think it will die in the Senate though once the CBO score comes out on the revised bill and the enormous amount of public pressure they'll face.

I agree

The moderates might not be the vulnerable ones. The whole rank and file is worried about getting primaried. The really wealthy donor class stands to benefit from this in tax cuts and wants this to go through.

The really wealthy donor class stands to benefit from this in tax cuts and wants this to go through.

By benefit do you mean keep their own money?

You talk like a tax cut is giving someone money that they don't deserve, it is really theirs to begin with.

You talk like a tax cut is giving someone money that they don't deserve, it is really theirs to begin with.

That's exactly right, they get to buy politicians to keep their taxes low. Can you do that?

Lordy...the US has the lowest tax burden of all industrialized countries...taxes have rarely been lower...we run a deficit...I was in public office for 6 years as a school board member - I hated raising taxes....taxes are taxes to pay for stuff

Trotting out the old "it is our money" ....yawn.....how about being a citizen?