Release Kolb -- sign Josh McCown

Ludwig van

McCown did a good job spelling for Cutler and I think having a vet behind Ej is a good move..

The problem IMO is that McCown would outplay Manuel in camp and then the coaches risk losing the team if they don't play the better performing McCown.

I am for competition for EJ and a year on the bench wouldn't hurt IMO because I think he is a multi-year project......but I think we want to get a future franchise QB on the field one way or another.

Draft another potential franchise QB and let he and EJ fight it out.

Watch.......it's going to be Vick. Have a feeling it's either us or the Jets.

didn't say that I wanted it....just want to be sure that it's represented as a strong possibility so we don't all collectively have strokes when it happens.

Kinda hope it's us. Would make for a good old fashioned TBD civil war. The whole Crossman thing just isn't cutting it. Plus just think of all the fun watching the Buffalo and Rochester animal rights people's heads explode! :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Bears screwed up anyways. McCown was playing than Cutler ever has in his career.

But I think it was lightning in a bottle and can't see him repeating it. Nothing in his career indicated he was capable of this. He should just stay with the Bears and eventually take the job from Cutler after Smokin' Jay does something dumb.

McCown could beat out EJ for the job....or give him a hell of a challenge. But the FO messed up by guarantee to EJ he will start in 2014! Don't ever let him think he's not replaceable! Make the young man work for it!

EJ won the job in the training camp this year beating out a vet. Before this year, as sad as it is to say, Kolb was thought of as a better QB than McCown. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoJo01.htm

I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. While I feel Trestmans offense and throwing to Marshall and jefffery make him look better than he is, I've always thought he had all the tools to be a winner. I feel he's an instant upgrade over Ej and wouldn't break the bank. If we seriously want to get better, we need to upgrade the QB position. Not that I've given up on EJ, he's got a chance, but upgrading our depth at QB is needed IMO. Thad, while not terrible, just isn't someone I want starting games for us. We could do worse, but can also do much better. Having Ej or mccown as backup would be great. If it stunts EJs growth, so be it. We have a defense that can get a competent QB to the playoffs. I'd rather not have to wait another year or 2 or 3 for Ej to turn into a playoff QB. If we can add one, we should add one.

McCown could beat out EJ for the job....or give him a hell of a challenge. But the FO messed up by guarantee to EJ he will start in 2014! Don't ever let him think he's not replaceable! Make the young man work for it!

Shades of Bledsoe/Losman?

Marrone also said that he was 110% EJ would play in the final against the patsies!?

McCown did a good job spelling for Cutler and I think having a vet behind Ej is a good move..

Manuel/McCown/Lewis

The problem is McCown will probably retire if he's not with the Bears. He and Cutler are good friends and the guy is obviously the perfect fit to back up in Trestman's offense.

Do you know that prior to Mccown's magical stint in Chicago, he had thrown more INTS than TDs in hi s 10 year career? Before this year, Mccown had only 1 season in which he had more TSS than INTS (11-10).

Manuel did better than that in his rookie year while missing considerable time in the preseason and regular season.

Why do some here hold such a low opinion of Manuel, but yet think that many other QBs are so much better?