Comprehensive Bills O line evaluation thread

add: I generally think it's a good idea to draft tackles more highly than guards. Depending on the individual athlete, some of them (Ruben Brown and Andy Levitre for instance) can transition to guard. Some of them can't. However how many guards have transitioned to tackle? Branden Albert played guard in college but largely because D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Eugene Monroe were ahead of him.

Tackles are much more highly-drafted than guards for other reasons.

Guards can be developed but tackles have to have the greater athletic talent the position demands.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Buddy Nix...err Doug Marrone....is that you :lol:

In regards to Bill, and why I don't much care for Erik Pears at RT. While Pears has so many attributes that you want in a top tackle like long arms, he also has some flaws. At 6'8" 316 lbs he is very tall and this is somewhat of a liability because he just doesn't always get low enough. He can be slow to react and adjust to counter moves, as he can kick step out to pick up rushers but then struggles to recover, and move back to the inside. He is also not that quick when firing out of his stance.

Don't get me wrong as i like the guy to a degree, as a back up. He is an adequate starter on an average team. but should the team want to win playoff games on the road the RT position will need a definite upgrade. JMHO

Pears has a slow first step , and regardless of his long arms, doesn't use his hands particularly well in pass protection. He's a bit of a "lunger" as well. If Pears doesn't fit into 2014's plans as a starter, given both his salary and his inability to work as a swing tackle, he won't be kept around as a backup.

Urbik is a solid, middle of the road option at guard who benefited greatly from Levitre being on this team last year as he received much more help from Wood. He found himself alone in many blocking schemes this year given our black hole at LG, which exposed him a bit. Still, as I said earlier, he's solid and offers some versatility at center. Assuming none of the kids really shines and takes a major step forward this offseason, I believed Urbik will be holding down the fort at RG to start the year.

Pears has a slow first step , and regardless of his long arms, doesn't use his hands particularly well in pass protection. He's a bit of a "lunger" as well.

Pears is a lunger and like former Bill Langston Walker he usually connects on his shoves.

Sometimes he doesn't.

Good stuff TYTT.

here is the O-line breakdown:

Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood - these guys are fine solid starters all set here

Erik Pears and Kraig Urbik - these guys are passable NFL starters but drafting some late round talent to push them would be great

Doug Legursky - he fared a bit better than Colin Brown, but he is still very much the weak link and in desperate need of replacement

If they can get a new starter at guard via free agency or the draft and then get another late round body in the mix to develop the offensive line will be a very solid part of this football team.

In this record long playoff drought, the Bills have always scrimped on the OL. In the SB years they always had a top 5 OL. Maybe there is a connection.

For three of those years they had two first rounders (Wolford and Jim Ritcher, who had been around since 1980 and was there for all 4). Hull was a UDFA and came up thru the USFL. Davis and Ballard were 11th rounders. Equivalent to UDFAs today.

That's 3 UDFAs and 2 first rounders, one of them a 10 year veteran. Sort of wild by today's standards.

I think with Glenn and Wood they have two terrific pieces. Pears can be solid for awhile, but needs backup and we need to know if Hairston can play again or not. Urbik turned himself into a question mark this year, and we all know that what we had at LG this season didn't cut it. It has to be addressed. The good thing is that we know you can find interior OL talent in a lot of places. They need to figure out what kind of player they need and bring in two of them to compete with Unga, Urbik and Asper. Legursky can be in the mix but should never be a starter again.

Well, now that's I'm done with Ze Germans....

I kinda disagree on both Wood and Glenn....IMHO[, etc].

Ah...but it is a reasoned opinion. Signed up.

It doesn't take an O-line coach to see that the Bills have 2 legitimate NFL O-lineman, Wood and Glenn. Urbik and Pears do well in spurts and cannot be counted on in the 4th quarter to get a 3rd and 1. MAYBE they are good enough to be backups. The street FAs installed at LG were a complete disaster are not worthy of being mentioned by name.

The Bills cannot plan on 'Unga or any of the other Jokers to develop into a starter. So you have 2. That's it. The rest should not be in the NFL or certainly should not be starting.

Barely signed up. Back it up with more fact. For example, what specifically did you see that tells you the FAs installed at LG were a disaster? Not saying you are wrong. Am saying: we need a more than "because I said so".

Up until recent years, there has been a theory prevalent among those who stock talent for NFL teams, that you don't need to draft guards high.

Well, now we know why San Jose wanted you here. Signed up. As Bills says, excellent work, especially since this post in no way resembles #humblebrag. (I have a feeling you will be joining the Bill side of things when it comes to the draft...well, then be warned: I am Bill's nemesis...or something. :lol:)

However.....of course I have high standards, and, of course I want more info than you can possibly have. Too bad. Do whatever it takes to get the job done. What do you think this is? Gangreen dot com? :lol:

No! This is TSW. That means: put out, and don't whine about it. You've were invited to get the job done, and you took it, so get it done, and don't come crying to me about not having 40 times. :lol: I don't wanna hear it, and nobody else does either. Which of our line are capable of getting into position for a screen play, and making that block in space, every time, and which aren't?

See? No 40 times required. Christ...it's like herding cats around here some days.

:lol: And the worst is: without me here organizing this mess, we'd be talking about Peters/Bell, wouldn't we? :wallbash::lol:

(Now, that's joking....just imagine what I can do when we are talking DB vs. O line for real. Fair warning :P)

I"m not an expert, but I've watched a fair amount of tape with focus on the O-line and it seems to me Urbik was inconsistent this year....

Signed up.

Otoh, the value of corners seems to be decreasing before our eyes in this new NFL. Aside from TB, who stupidly guaranteed Revis 16 million dollars, were there any big bucks contracts extended to free agent corners? There were none that I recall.

See how Bill is? He knows, because it's me...that he can get away with breaking the rules, so he barks it out like a drunk pirate. :lol:

I however, will not break my own rules. Bill: Just know that there's a whole bag of response, backed up by stats and fact...with your name on it.

It'll be interesting to see how many fewer penalties Wood takes next year with at least 1 upgraded guard next to him.

Signed up.

Until last year the Bills had 1 1st round pick and 2 2nd round picks as starters. The Bills are on par with most teams in the league as far as investing high picks on O-linemen.

Signed up. Partially because you brought some good data, and partially because, like me, it appears you've been baited. Far be it from me to stand in the way of that dynamic.

Pears has a slow first step , and regardless of his long arms, doesn't use his hands particularly well in pass protection.

Signed up. Good one.

here is the O-line breakdown:

Perhaps, but, we are still in the analysis phase. We'll move on to design once we can all agree on the requirements. Signed up, but, let's see what everybody has to say first...there may be something we are missing.

For three of those years they had two first rounders (Wolford and Jim Ritcher, who had been around since 1980 and was there for all 4).

Good historical context, good analysis. Signed up.

OK then. So far:

Cheddar's Dad

Jboyst62

Big Blitz

BillinNYC

bobobonators

Lofton80

sjjr

FeartheLosing

JPS

Rob's House

Taro T

San Jose Bills Fan

TakeYouToTasker

Noodle

RuntheDamnBall

have all provided cogent analysis of the existing Bills O line. If I was them? I'd bookmark this thread, so that they can use it later...exactly like San Jose did above.

We'll wait for BillsVet, and Jboyst to complete their efforts and/or anybody else to have a say.

At some point, I'm gonna summarize this thread, ask if all of you agree with that summary, and our work here will be complete. Then, we can all just link to the summary, and save ourselves time(and hopefully not have to go thread to thread saying the same things over and over)

Yes, I fully recognize that this summary may in fact be used to counter my own future posts about drafting DBs high. :lol:

Like I said: this year is a bizarro draft for me.

The OL is hardly the train-wreck that many posters are making it out to be. There is no desperation to find an OL in this year's draft or in FA. Yes, Colin Brown was a disaster. And yes, the line mailed it in for the Tampa Bay game, but truthfully the entire team didn't show up for that game.

Wood is a top 5 center (too many penalties this year however), Glenn is probably in the 5-8 range and he's only getting better. IMO Urbik is underrated as a pass blocker, and I love the power run blocking game that he brings. I'm with Bill on Pears, I don't understand the hate. Pears will never make a Pro Bowl, but we could do far, far worse. There's at least 16 teams in this league that I wouldn't swap RT's with. He's a tall man with a high center of gravity, so you occasionally see him get beat when someone gets underneath him. Legursky is only passable, I'd like to see someone brought in from FA.

The one factor I have yet to see anyone mention is the person playing under center, you know, the QB. We fielded a rookie, a 3rd stringer, and an UDFA with the combined experience of 1 NFL game. I don't think the average fan realizes how much the QB affects OL play. For 16 weeks we have been every defensive coordinator's wet dream. Thad, EJ, and Tuel do not exactly strike fear into opponents hearts.

And it's not just 1 inexperienced QB - it's 3, which makes it all the more difficult to adapt to each QB's subtle nuances in the pocket. You know, nuances like EJ's "I Feel Phantom Pressure Let's Spin Clockwise In The Pocket For No Reason" and Thad's "F*ck It I'm Gonna Take Off And Try Running Between The Tackles" move. The 1992 Dallas Cowboys OL would've had difficulty pass blocking under these conditions.

Want stats? Consider Colin Brown, rookie QBs, and all the 8-man fronts we faced and we're still 2nd in the league in rushing. I know what you're going to say next - "But QCity, we allowed 48 sacks and that ranks us as 28th in the league!!!" Honestly ask yourself how many sacks allowed this year were due to our QB's and the shaky play of Brown at the start of the year. Go ahead and estimate a number. I would say at least 12, and I think I am being very generous with that figure. With solid QB play you are probably looking at a year with around 32-36 sacks, which is top 10 in the league. Even adjusted sacks would vault us up from 28th to around 12-13.

In summary - all the caterwauling about the OL is a little ridiculous. I highly doubt we will take an OL in the first 3 rounds, and if we pickup an OG in FA it probably won't be a big name. I don't know what's wrong with Hairston, but if he is able to comeback that would be another plus, as he was an excellent swing tackle and could even challenge Pears for the starting job.

Did i happen to mention how happy I am that Buddy Nix is no longer in control of this team. Bigger is not always better, and tackles don't always make good guards. Nix was excellent at band-aiding positions all over the team, and yet not so hot at evaluating the talent for several positions.

The Buffalo Bills organizational philosophy the last decade (at times) is that they can develop mid to late round O line prospects into viable starters. How has that worked out for them in terms of wins? Its a team sport, and every position on the team is important in my view.

Someone explain to me why an OG is not just as important as the DT on a team. I think they are as important, and perhaps even more so because that O line needs stability and continuity. With all five players knowing what to do in every situation so there are no unexplained sacks, hurries or hits on the QB.

You can have two all pro tackles on the team and what will it matter if the guards are bad? If you have bad OG's then its almost impossible to run to control the LoS or clock. The QB can't step up in the pocket to throw deep.

Now my hopes are dashed for an OG in free agency or with this years #2 draft pick :bag:http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Marrone-sees-promise-in-young-guard-prospects/eba6f00d-58f9-4daf-8dfe-6de9ab15ab16

The OL is hardly the train-wreck that many posters are making it out to be. There is no desperation to find an OL in this year's draft or in FA. Yes, Colin Brown was a disaster. And yes, the line mailed it in for the Tampa Bay game, but truthfully the entire team didn't show up for that game.

Wood is a top 5 center (too many penalties this year however), Glenn is probably in the 5-8 range and he's only getting better. IMO Urbik is underrated as a pass blocker, and I love the power run blocking game that he brings. I'm with Bill on Pears, I don't understand the hate. Pears will never make a Pro Bowl, but we could do far, far worse. There's at least 16 teams in this league that I wouldn't swap RT's with. He's a tall man with a high center of gravity, so you occasionally see him get beat when someone gets underneath him. Legursky is only passable, I'd like to see someone brought in from FA.

The one factor I have yet to see anyone mention is the person playing under center, you know, the QB. We fielded a rookie, a 3rd stringer, and an UDFA with the combined experience of 1 NFL game. I don't think the average fan realizes how much the QB affects OL play. For 16 weeks we have been every defensive coordinator's wet dream. Thad, EJ, and Tuel do not exactly strike fear into opponents hearts.

And it's not just 1 inexperienced QB - it's 3, which makes it all the more difficult to adapt to each QB's subtle nuances in the pocket. You know, nuances like EJ's "I Feel Phantom Pressure Let's Spin Clockwise In The Pocket For No Reason" and Thad's "F*ck It I'm Gonna Take Off And Try Running Between The Tackles" move. The 1992 Dallas Cowboys OL would've had difficulty pass blocking under these conditions.

Want stats? Consider Colin Brown, rookie QBs, and all the 8-man fronts we faced and we're still 2nd in the league in rushing. I know what you're going to say next - "But QCity, we allowed 48 sacks and that ranks us as 28th in the league!!!" Honestly ask yourself how many sacks allowed this year were due to our QB's and the shaky play of Brown at the start of the year. Go ahead and estimate a number. I would say at least 12, and I think I am being very generous with that figure. With solid QB play you are probably looking at a year with around 32-36 sacks, which is top 10 in the league. Even adjusted sacks would vault us up from 28th to around 12-13.

In summary - all the caterwauling about the OL is a little ridiculous. I highly doubt we will take an OL in the first 3 rounds, and if we pickup an OG in FA it probably won't be a big name. I don't know what's wrong with Hairston, but if he is able to comeback that would be another plus, as he was an excellent swing tackle and could even challenge Pears for the starting job.

:doh: and I say to you.... be prepared for another losing season.

As for Pears, no poison here, as Hairston was penciled in as the starter until he suffered a leg injury, and then an undisclosed illness that knocked him out for the season. " He was originally pegged as a starter. Mon, Aug 26, 2013 03:58:00 PM"

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6643/chris-hairston

My off-season play to address the line

1. If Graham is not tagged pay him 120% of the highest TE contract and bring him in to play TE.

2. Assuming Graham is tagged, address TE in the draft as no other TE in FA is worth a large contract.

3. Draft an OT in the first round, preferably after trading down.

4. The rookie, Pears, and Hairston compete for the RT spot. Either Pears or Hairston is cut.

5. Sign one mid to high level guard in FA to take the LG spot.

6. Draft a center in round 4-5.

7. Go to mini-camp with the group we have now plus these additions and start the best two at LG/RG.

That leaves the rest of the draft for LB's, a back-up RB, and another DB.

6. draft a center in round 4-5. Didn't the Bills extend Woods contract at the beginning of the season? Or is this pick to be a backup center?

http://www.buffalobi...fe-6de9ab15ab16

“We’re in a league that’s based on a salary cap and there are certain positions you need to develop and spend your money in other areas,” he said. “My background as an offensive line coach I realize that you’re not going to be able to spend top dollar for five offensive linemen across the board.”

What some of us have been saying all along.

You can only invest so much in terms of high draft picks and free agents.

As recently as last year the Bills had a first rounder and two second rounders on the O-line.

If they took one tackle within the first two rounds, I'd be fine with that depending on the player and who else was available.

Or draft a guard in rounds 3 or 4.

“We’re in a league that’s based on a salary cap and there are certain positions you need to develop and spend your money in other areas,” he said. “My background as an offensive line coach I realize that you’re not going to be able to spend top dollar for five offensive linemen across the board.”

As recently as last year the Bills had a first rounder and two second rounders on the O-line.

If they took one tackle within the first two rounds, I'd be fine with that depending on the player and who else was available.

>>>>>Asper (6-7, 325) was the first to join the club when he was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1st after he was released by Jacksonville at the end of the preseason. A former sixth-round pick of the Bills in 2012, it’s his second go round with Buffalo. He was promoted to the active roster in mid-October following the release of Colin Brown.

The 28-year old saw action on field goals and extra points in six games this season for a total of 26 plays. He’s worked mainly at guard in his time with Buffalo.<<<<<

26 plays at age 28? Yeah, he sounds great.

Good historical context, good analysis. Signed up.

Well shucks. Because I posted in the wee small hours of the morning, I sort of forgot to add what turned out to be a bigger point for me - continuity. Four of the five same starters are there for all of the SB seasons. Look outside those SB years and Hull and Ritcher are there in the playoff seasons leading up to them.

A healthy Wood and Glenn could be our pair like that. It seems unavoidable to add more talent that will help take this unit to another level. Like Bill in NYC, I think Pears can play well. He can be upgraded upon, but he can play well. Urbik is a bit of a wild card for me. He could really go either way into oblivion or into a resurgence phase. I still think that at least one interior lineman and one tackle are needed to upgrade. Adding three guys better than our starters would really be like a kind of Christmas and seems unlikely.

>>>>>Asper (6-7, 325) was the first to join the club when he was signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1st after he was released by Jacksonville at the end of the preseason. A former sixth-round pick of the Bills in 2012, it’s his second go round with Buffalo. He was promoted to the active roster in mid-October following the release of Colin Brown.

The 28-year old saw action on field goals and extra points in six games this season for a total of 26 plays. He’s worked mainly at guard in his time with Buffalo.<<<<<

26 plays at age 28? Yeah, he sounds great.

I never said Asper is gonna be great.

I'm saying that most NFL teams don't spend a lot of resources for offensive guards and that there's sound rational for that conventional thinking in the NFL.

Again, the All Pro guards this year were a pair of 3rd rounders, a pair of 4th rounders, and 1 first rounder.

I don't think your characterization of my beliefs is fully accurate.

I'm against dogmatically picking offensive line at #9.

I'm in favor of drafting the best player available.

If that player happens to be an O-lineman, so be it.

So, you're ok with drafting a guard at #9?

Just recalling Buddy's advice on OL. "Always draft tackles, you can play them at guard if you want" (implying you cannot reverse the order) That said, we won't be drafting a guard, we might draft a tackle and play him at guard.....really, a good OL can play a number of positions...it was one the the reasons Levitre was so valuable. He could fill in at LT....center (not so much) Levitre was a round 2 pick, and if we could get a similiar talent at #2, that would be a good fill for the Bills. Now, the guys on the squad that they picked up off practice squads.....I recall, that is how reinhart and urbik got onto the bills, and they were both more than serviceable. So, I think the coaching staff opinion of those three (?) guys will impact how much OK talent they draft. In terms of Pears, I can say that they missed him when he was hurt a couple of years ago, but I also am afraid of the wear and tear situation with him (as posted by another here) Still, having vertrans play is good if you can afford them. Finally, I was struck watching the post season of how many ex bills were playing. Choice for Colts, Brad Smith for Eagles doing the same things he did for the Bills. DaRick for the Colts......I think there was another ex Bill on the Eagles as well......

So, you're not ok with drafting a guard at #9? Your thought process is a little hard to discern, San Jose.

There are more than a few ways to build a winning team. You seem to be having trouble defining how you think a team should be built.

I go back to the idea expressed years ago that in Buffalo's climate you need a team that can run the ball. I know that this year's stats indicate that Buffalo ran the ball well this year. Stats can deceive and some of you have been deceived if you look at them and fail to notice that Buffalo has had difficulties running for TDs in the red zone or when opponents know Buffalo intends to run.

Our team cannot be described as being capable of imposing our offensive will on the opposition and that's the team I want for this city. I recall the Lombardy years when no one could stop the Green Bay sweep. It was Kramer and Thurston, two Hall of Fame guards, that made that offense go.

Marrone worries me. There are things that I like about him but the fact that he was an O-lineman may give him the impression that you can fit free agents into guard positions and succeed. It may be that some of the coaches he worked for felt that way and he accepted their line of thinking.

I wonder why he feels that, "as an offensive line coach I realize that you're not going to be able to spend top dollar for five offensive linemen". I ask why not. If there is a guard that is better than a tall WR at #9, and we really need a guard, he's going to select the WR? Players selected in the first round do not impact the salary structure under the current CBA nearly as much as they once did. And just as you might be able to hit on a quality guard with a 4th round pick, the same holds true for that tall WR, although, in both cases, the odds are against that happening. Can anyone dispute that the odds against you hitting on any player position become greater the farther down the draft list you go?

I think part of the problem is that if a guard misses a block and a runner is tackled behind the LOS or a QB is sacked, It is frequently not possible to know that if the block was made, that runner may have scored or that QB might have completed a pass for a TD. It's much easier to know when a runner or receiver crosses the goal line and harder to know that it was a key block by a guard that made the play a success. As a result, many fans want that receiver, TE, or runner. Fewer want that guard. Is Marrone one of those that want's that receiver or TE. He thinks he can develop the Ungas and Aspers and McClains. I think he thought that with Brown and Legursky. Is faulty thinking a recurring problem with Marrone. I think I'm more than a little concerned.

One other thing. Does being an offensive line coach give Marrone some special insight into managing Buffalo's salary structure. Think about it. Offensive line coach = cap manager? Marrone's statement doesn't really make sense. He also thinks there may already be some tall receivers on Buffalo's roster he can develop. As Lombardy would say, "what the hell is going on out there"

This!

I've been advocating for years to build a better O line. While I'm no football expert by any means, I usually go by what I see in terms of the entire unit, as I'm far to lazy to evaluate each player individually, unless they are particularly good or bad.

I agree. I don't see enough holes for the backs to run through. Nor do I see enough push in short yardage situation. In short yardage, we're actually getting pushed back more often than not.

Pass protection could be better too. Clearly guys like Brady and Brees simply have more talent than many of their peers. But there's a strong correlation between pass protection and passing productivity. QBs with clean pockets usually do well. EJ, CJ and Fredex would all benefit from a better O Line.

I agree. I don't see enough holes for the backs to run through. Nor do I see enough push in short yardage situation. In short yardage, we're actually getting pushed back more often than not.

Pass protection could be better too. Clearly guys like Brady and Brees simply have more talent than many of their peers. But there's a strong correlation between pass protection and passing productivity. QBs with clean pockets usually do well. EJ, CJ and Fredex would all benefit from a better O Line.

John Wayne would be proud of this.

I agree with Bill from NYC's take. The Bills were embarrassed by a weak Tampa team due to the weakness in the middle of the offensive line.

Urbik was abused by the more nimble Gerald McCoy, who was named first team All-Pro this year. Urbik's strong suit is winning in the phone-booth, and he's playing RG because that position doesn't demand the mobility in most offenses.

And for the sake of discussion, many are discussing the concept of drafting tackles and making them guards when all else fails. That's a last resort for a tackle and not the ideal scenario. At the same time, some college tackles aren't going to transition to being NFL tackles and are more suitable to guard. It depends on the individual

The Bills seem willing to be a power blocking scheme, but they need more talent to do what they'd like offensively.

All analysis, two coaching regimes and PFT write up seem to establish this:

Glenn is very good and only getting better

Wood is solid, a leader and here to stay

Then you have the rest of the spots, LG, RT and RG occupied by journeymen which all could be significantly upgraded.

Hairston likley has the best combination of size and potential among of Pears, urbik or Legursky.

Ps: Tight end blocking was atrocious this year.

Our QB play hinders our Oline as much as everyone else on offense. While we have plenty of room for improvement they provided decent pass protection most of the time, and as far as run blocking is concerned theres is only so much they can do when they consistently face 8 man fronts. We don't have talented enough receivers that call for a double team and nobody is a big threat over the middle. Manuel struggles to hit our speedsters down field Chandler and Stevie just aren't a big enough threat underneath.

Our QB play hinders our Oline as much as everyone else on offense. While we have plenty of room for improvement they provided decent pass protection most of the time, and as far as run blocking is concerned theres is only so much they can do when they consistently face 8 man fronts. We don't have talented enough receivers that call for a double team and nobody is a big threat over the middle. Manuel struggles to hit our speedsters down field Chandler and Stevie just aren't a big enough threat underneath.

I think the answer when there are 8 man fronts is to spread out the field and try slants and screens, rather than running up the middle as so often happens. Why this is an underused portion of our playbook is beyond me. NE does this all the time - they basically replace their run game with a short yardage passing game that gets 6/7 yards a clip, sometimes more, and force the defense into looks that are more favorable for the run. I know everybody wants a team that dictates the game and pushes everybody around, but there is more than one way to win in the NFL and I prefer a team that can keep defenses off balance with relatively the same personnel on the field.

It would help if we had some receivers with better hands who could go to the ground to get those passes that cannot be defended or caught by anybody else. Brady and Welker, now Edelman / Amendola make this work ALL. THE. TIME.

I have faith that Manuel will find the game slowing down when he heals up and gets another offseason in the system. Hopefully the coaches will put everybody in a better position, too.

So, you're not ok with drafting a guard at #9? Your thought process is a little hard to discern, San Jose.

There are more than a few ways to build a winning team. You seem to be having trouble defining how you think a team should be built.

I go back to the idea expressed years ago that in Buffalo's climate you need a team that can run the ball. I know that this year's stats indicate that Buffalo ran the ball well this year. Stats can deceive and some of you have been deceived if you look at them and fail to notice that Buffalo has had difficulties running for TDs in the red zone or when opponents know Buffalo intends to run.

Our team cannot be described as being capable of imposing our offensive will on the opposition and that's the team I want for this city. I recall the Lombardy years when no one could stop the Green Bay sweep. It was Kramer and Thurston, two Hall of Fame guards, that made that offense go.

Marrone worries me. There are things that I like about him but the fact that he was an O-lineman may give him the impression that you can fit free agents into guard positions and succeed. It may be that some of the coaches he worked for felt that way and he accepted their line of thinking.

I wonder why he feels that, "as an offensive line coach I realize that you're not going to be able to spend top dollar for five offensive linemen". I ask why not. If there is a guard that is better than a tall WR at #9, and we really need a guard, he's going to select the WR? Players selected in the first round do not impact the salary structure under the current CBA nearly as much as they once did. And just as you might be able to hit on a quality guard with a 4th round pick, the same holds true for that tall WR, although, in both cases, the odds are against that happening. Can anyone dispute that the odds against you hitting on any player position become greater the farther down the draft list you go?

I think part of the problem is that if a guard misses a block and a runner is tackled behind the LOS or a QB is sacked, It is frequently not possible to know that if the block was made, that runner may have scored or that QB might have completed a pass for a TD. It's much easier to know when a runner or receiver crosses the goal line and harder to know that it was a key block by a guard that made the play a success. As a result, many fans want that receiver, TE, or runner. Fewer want that guard. Is Marrone one of those that want's that receiver or TE. He thinks he can develop the Ungas and Aspers and McClains. I think he thought that with Brown and Legursky. Is faulty thinking a recurring problem with Marrone. I think I'm more than a little concerned.

Without going into detail, I think your view of team building in today's NFL is somewhat obsolete.

As for my thought process, I've stated repeatedly over the months that until you're on the clock and know exactly what your options are, it's all conjecture as to what to do.

That said I'm generally against drafting a guard in the first round.

Only if it were the Bills most dire need and I could be guaranteed that the player was the second coming of Steve Hutchinson (17th overall) or Alan Faneca (26th overall) would I take a guard at #9 (see what I did there?).

Now last year's #7 pick was guard, Jonathan Cooper. Unfortunately he was injured in preseason and missed the entire regular season so he gets no grade.

Last year's #10 pick Chance Warmack only played in 10 games last year also due to injury so he gets no grade.

In 2012 David DeCastro was the first guard drafted (24th overall) but has unfortunately had injuries and played just 18 games in two years so he gets no grade.

Three picks later the Bengals took Kevin Zeitler at #27. He looks like he's gonna be a good one but again, he was drafted 27th overall, the first guard drafted after 2 OTs. We'll see if drafting Zeitler before Cordy Glenn and Mitchell Schwartz was a good idea or not.

In 2011 Danny Watkins was the first guard drafted (24th overall). Watkins is a bust. Even on one of the worst O-lines in football and even after the Incognito-Martin fiasco, Watkins could not break the starting lineup.

Guards by nature are guards because they're not talented enough to play tackle or center.

Guards can and are found in the later rounds. As long as I'm repeating myself I'll again point out that of the 5 guards on the 2013 All Pro team, 2 were drafted in the 3rd round and 2 were drafted in the 4th round.

Again there's a very good reason why it's NFL convention to not draft guards in the first 20 picks.

At this early juncture I believe that the Bills would be best served using their first round pick on a wide receiver and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd to address their offensive line needs.

Again there's a very good reason why it's NFL convention to not draft guards in the first 20 picks.

At this early juncture I believe that the Bills would be best served using their first round pick on a wide receiver and waiting until the 2nd or 3rd to address their offensive line needs.

I'm of the opinion that unless you're talking about a very, very special player at some other impact position, that if you draft in the top 10, and aren't selecting a quarterback, a blind side pass protecter for your quarterback, or someone who sacks the quarterback then you're doing it wrong.

Without going into detail, I think your view of team building in today's NFL is somewhat obsolete.

As for my thought process, I've stated repeatedly over the months that until you're on the clock and know exactly what your options are, it's all conjecture as to what to do.

That said I'm generally against drafting a guard in the first round.

Only if it were the Bills most dire need and I could be guaranteed that the player was the second coming of Steve Hutchinson (17th overall) or Alan Faneca (26th overall) would I take a guard at #9 (see what I did there?).

Now last year's #7 pick was guard, Jonathan Cooper. Unfortunately he was injured in preseason and missed the entire regular season so he gets no grade.

Last year's #10 pick Chance Warmack only played in 10 games last year also due to injury so he gets no grade.

In 2012 David DeCastro was the first guard drafted (24th overall) but has unfortunately had injuries and played just 18 games in two years so he gets no grade.

Three picks later the Bengals took Kevin Zeitler at #27. He looks like he's gonna be a good one but again, he was drafted 27th overall, the first guard drafted after 2 OTs. We'll see if drafting Zeitler before Cordy Glenn and Mitchell Schwartz was a good idea or not.

In 2011 Danny Watkins was the first guard drafted (24th overall). Watkins is a bust. Even on one of the worst O-lines in football and even after the Incognito-Martin fiasco, Watkins could not break the starting lineup.

Guards by nature are guards because they're not talented enough to play tackle or center.

Guards can and are found in the later rounds. As long as I'm repeating myself I'll again point out that of the 5 guards on the 2013 All Pro team, 2 were drafted in the 3rd round and 2 were drafted in the 4th round.

Conjecture is all we have to talk about right now.

Please go into detail. Tell me why you think my idea of building a team is obsolute. And please keep personal preferences and talk of old school vs. new school out of it.

David DeCastro, having been on injured reserve his rookie year, played this past year and has appeared as second team all pro on some lists. We need to wait on the injured players but there are talented people there and I'm confident that some will be appearing on pro bowl rosters soon.

Now, if you have a yen for reviewing recent draft history, lets take a look at recent 1st rd. WRs shall we???

2011 - A.J Green was selected #4 by Cinnci and has been an excellent pick having been selected 2nd team all pro in 2012 and 2013. Julio Jones, selected #6 by Atlanta has been good. Jonathan Baldwin, selected #26 by K.C. was considered a bust and traded this year to San Francisco for A.J. Jenkins, selected in the 1st. round in 2012 by San Francisco and also considered a bust.

2012 - Justin Blackman selected #5 by Jacksonville. How do you describe him? A head case?? Michael Floyd, #13 to Arizona, didn't do anything his rookie year but has shown signs of development this year. Kendall Wright, #20 by Tennessee, has he done anything??. Of course you know about A.J. Jenkins.

2013 - Travon Auston #8 to St. Louis. Somewhat disappointing although he did have one good game of note. DeAndre Hopkins, #27 to Houston, looks good. The interesting thing to me is he was considered to be not as good at Clemson as Sammy Watkins. Would I take Watkins if he were there at #9 this year? Yes I would. But, he will he be there? And if he is, do we trade down for more picks?

As you can see, there are hits and misses at every position but there seem to be more downright, uncontested misses at the 1st rd. drafted WR position than 1sr rd. drafted Guards (at least in the sample you've chosen).

Regarding NFL convention about drafting 1st. rd. Guards, did not notice last year's draft at all??? And about "NFL" convention, have you noticed how mediocre to downright bad many NFL teams are?? Could it be that following NFL "conventional thinking" is a good way to get yourself fired if you're a coach??? To be generally set against anything is to limit you thinking and your possibilities and that is, generally, not a good way to be.

As you can see, there are hits and misses at every position but there seem to be more downright, uncontested misses at the 1st rd. drafted WR position than 1sr rd. drafted Guards (at least in the sample you've chosen).

You might be interested in these two studies I did last off season regarding the success rates of WRs and OLmen.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155410-drafting-success-wr/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/155887-drafting-success-ol/

In short:

1st round OGs were nearly twice as successful in regards to becoming solid starters as 1st round WRs were......as well as having twice the "star" success rate.

2nd round OGs were however three times as successful in regards to becoming solid starters as 2nd round WRs were.....and four times as successful in becoming "star" players.

Due to the relatively low drop off from 1st round to 2nd round success with OGs compared to that of WRs, I tend to think drafting OGs in the 2nd round provides the better draft value in terms of potential success.

You might be interested in these two studies I did last off season regarding the success rates of WRs and OLmen.

http://forums.twobil...ing-success-wr/

http://forums.twobil...ing-success-ol/

In short:

1st round OGs were nearly twice as successful in regards to becoming solid starters as 1st round WRs were......as well as having twice the "star" success rate.

2nd round OGs were however three times as successful in regards to becoming solid starters as 2nd round WRs were.....and four times as successful in becoming "star" players.

Due to the relatively low drop off from 1st round to 2nd round success with OGs compared to that of WRs, I tend to think drafting OGs in the 2nd round provides the better draft value in terms of potential success.

Excellent post. So OT, TE, LB in the 1st, OG in the 2nd. I can live with that. Drafting another WR, at this point, is the dumbest thing I've read around here. You can't stop the run and have major holes on the O-line…..and that will be fixed by a WR?? I don't see it.

http://forums.twobil...ing-success-wr/

http://forums.twobil...ing-success-ol/

In short:

This is quite good, Dibs. Nice to hear from a true statistician. Since Buffalo has needs at the RT and both guard positions that are, in my opinion, as important if not more so, than our needs at the WR and TE positions, we should draft an OT in the first and G in the second. This would be a strategy designed to use statistical probability to insure drafting success (a somewhat unconventional idea). It also supports my theory that providing the best possible support for your running and passing game with top notch O-linemen will help your QB, WRs and RBs look good and perform well even though they might have just average ability. If, as some here think, E.J. turns out to be average, giving him O-line support may get the best out of him, and perhaps, give Bills fans a QB we can win with.

Hmmm....

At this point, would it be safe to say:

Wood and Glenn are fine. Everyone else is negotiable? By negotiable I mean: their positions can and should be targeted in FA and the draft.

So, that means we need at least 3 new players, LG, RG, RT, who can start at those positions. Meaning, they are viable replacements for the guys we have. I'm not including the "depth" guys here, because, if you think about it, there's really no difference between them, and the guys that are brought in to compete for a starting spot: in the end, if the new guys don't win the spot, either they, or the existing depth guys, make the team.

Who doesn't agree with that?

If we agree with the above...then, is it right to say "2 is 1, and 1 is none?" Meaning, unless we get one guy who we KNOW is going to come in and own their spot day 1....we need 2 each of LG, RG, RT to maximize our chances of getting a real starter.

So, really, we need 6 new O line guys. Agree?

If that is true, then, 3 of those guys should come from the draft, and 3 from FA. That's just smart use of resources.

Given Dibs(Edit: see now why I called him an expert? I admit that I confused what he was good at, but, he is good at something. :lol:), and the rest of the work done here, it's seems logical to conclude: we need to spend 3 out of our first 5 picks on O line in the draft, AND, go get at least one 1st tier FA, and 2 2nd tier FA O lineman.

This would seem to be the only way maximize our chances of ending up with a good O line.

Now, if that's too many resources spent?

My 2nd to last question: how do you modify 3/1-5 O line in the draft, and 3 FAs to fit cap/other positional needs?

My last question: how does this fit into BPA? Should we be reaching for O lineman? Or, again given Dibs, should the "reach number"(meaning, the amount of slots at the point the player was drafted, ahead of where he should have been) be modulated, due to the propensity of guards to over-perform their draft position?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

It occurs to me that a limitation in our abilities to determine the proper course for the Bills in this regard is our lack of knowledge regarding how the coaching staff intends to run the offense.

For example, if they see Spiller as an asset to build around the decisions on the line will be different from the approach they may take if they plan to move on from him and go to a more pure power running game. If they plan to bale on the "waterbug" game, a big bodied back and a mauling LG should be sufficient upgrades. If, on the other hand, they want to maximize Spiller they need to prioritize getting strong athletic linemen that can get out in space and make key blocks. If he gets that he'll carve up defenses. Otherwise he's going to be streaky.

If you go back and watch the second Jets game closely you'll see that there was no way that CJ was going to do what he does behind the blocking of the Bills line against NY's D. If he was a 230lb. freight train he could lower his shoulder and barrel ahead for a yard or two on a lot of those plays that went for losses, but that's not his game.

There was one play in that game where the first time I watched I wondered why he chose to run where he did b/c it appeared to me he opted against the open hole where the play was designed and went to the other side of the C. When I slowed it down I realized the DT was being held back by Urbik (who again, can hold his ground but isn't great at imposing his will) but the DT shifted to the hole where Spiller was going to run with great ease - it was actually impressive that Spiller diagnosed this so quickly and tried to redirect to pick up yards. This is where he gets the reputation for dancing rather than hitting the hole. If he were a power back I'd agree he should plow ahead, but again, that's not his game. If you want the 50 yd gain you'be got to give him a hole to run through. There were a lot of plays like this throughout that game.

Build the Offensive line. Good lines make QBs and RBs better. Teams have be strong up the middle on offense and defense. Inside out. The Bills need better guard play because Soliai (Miami), Wilfork (NE) and Wilkerson/Richardson (NYJ) have dominated the line. I'd rather Bills invest in the line than WR or TE. Offensive line is like the foundation of your house. If it is weak the rest of the structure fails.

It occurs to me that a limitation in our abilities to determine the proper course for the Bills in this regard is our lack of knowledge regarding how the coaching staff intends to run the offense.

For example, if they see Spiller as an asset to build around the decisions on the line will be different from the approach they may take if they plan to move on from him and go to a more pure power running game. If they plan to bale on the "waterbug" game, a big bodied back and a mauling LG should be sufficient upgrades. If, on the other hand, they want to maximize Spiller they need to prioritize getting strong athletic linemen that can get out in space and make key blocks. If he gets that he'll carve up defenses. Otherwise he's going to be streaky.

If you go back and watch the second Jets game closely you'll see that there was no way that CJ was going to do what he does behind the blocking of the Bills line against NY's D. If he was a 230lb. freight train he could lower his shoulder and barrel ahead for a yard or two on a lot of those plays that went for losses, but that's not his game.

There was one play in that game where the first time I watched I wondered why he chose to run where he did b/c it appeared to me he opted against the open hole where the play was designed and went to the other side of the C. When I slowed it down I realized the DT was being held back by Urbik (who again, can hold his ground but isn't great at imposing his will) but the DT shifted to the hole where Spiller was going to run with great ease - it was actually impressive that Spiller diagnosed this so quickly and tried to redirect to pick up yards. This is where he gets the reputation for dancing rather than hitting the hole. If he were a power back I'd agree he should plow ahead, but again, that's not his game. If you want the 50 yd gain you'be got to give him a hole to run through. There were a lot of plays like this throughout that game.

Spiller, although talented, is not a player to build a team around. He is a situational player.

Conjecture is all we have to talk about right now.

Please go into detail. Tell me why you think my idea of building a team is obsolute. And please keep personal preferences and talk of old school vs. new school out of it.

David DeCastro, having been on injured reserve his rookie year, played this past year and has appeared as second team all pro on some lists. We need to wait on the injured players but there are talented people there and I'm confident that some will be appearing on pro bowl rosters soon.

Now, if you have a yen for reviewing recent draft history, lets take a look at recent 1st rd. WRs shall we???

2011 - A.J Green was selected #4 by Cinnci and has been an excellent pick having been selected 2nd team all pro in 2012 and 2013. Julio Jones, selected #6 by Atlanta has been good. Jonathan Baldwin, selected #26 by K.C. was considered a bust and traded this year to San Francisco for A.J. Jenkins, selected in the 1st. round in 2012 by San Francisco and also considered a bust.

2012 - Justin Blackman selected #5 by Jacksonville. How do you describe him? A head case?? Michael Floyd, #13 to Arizona, didn't do anything his rookie year but has shown signs of development this year. Kendall Wright, #20 by Tennessee, has he done anything??. Of course you know about A.J. Jenkins.

2013 - Travon Auston #8 to St. Louis. Somewhat disappointing although he did have one good game of note. DeAndre Hopkins, #27 to Houston, looks good. The interesting thing to me is he was considered to be not as good at Clemson as Sammy Watkins. Would I take Watkins if he were there at #9 this year? Yes I would. But, he will he be there? And if he is, do we trade down for more picks?

Regarding NFL convention about drafting 1st. rd. Guards, did not notice last year's draft at all??? And about "NFL" convention, have you noticed how mediocre to downright bad many NFL teams are?? Could it be that following NFL "conventional thinking" is a good way to get yourself fired if you're a coach??? To be generally set against anything is to limit you thinking and your possibilities and that is, generally, not a good way to be.

You asked me:

"So, you're not ok with drafting a guard at #9?"

I gave a very clear and well-supported argument which in this case happens to be conventional thinking.

As for last year, have you considered that it was a one-year aberration? An outlyer?

This post makes a lot of sense to me. The tape that the average fan gets makes it difficult or impossible to id much on an individual lineman basis but some things are obvious. I would add to these observations that the Bills line seems weak at the execution of the screen play. The QB had difficulty stepping into his throws because a pass rusher is in his face. How much of EJ's footwork is affected by his need to avoid the rush? Also blocking at the second level is weak which is obvious from the film that the fan can access. I will take the coach's word for it that Woods and Glenn are good players. The rest need improvement and I would include the Tight Ends who in my book function as offensive lineman fifty percent of the time.

I don't think Pears is that bad. Remember, the guards were so bad it's a wonder the line held up at all. I think we try to renegotiate his salary and between Hairston and Pears we are okay. Bring in one very good free agent guard and draft another to compete with the young guys we have that Marone says he likes. We have a lot of holes to fill so, as much as we'd like, that's probably our best case scenario. They aren't going to get a high-priced guard and tackle in FA. Remember that always doesn't work either (Dockery and that other guy!). Legursky needs to be replaced and, in a perfect world Urbik is a depth guy. The line wasn't horrible. The run game was okay and they had to protect QBs that weren't a whole lot of help as far as knowing what to do with the ball quickly.

Well then. They are signed up. Too bad if they don't like it. PM them, and tell them that their presence is required.

Signed up.

Not signed up.

If you can't or won't get into the skill set of each...then this thread...is not for you. :lol:

This is the: Comprehensive Bills O Line Evaluation thread.

Not the: Comprehensive College O Line Prospects Evaluation thread.

I appreciate the effort and enthusiasm of looking at the college guys, but, it's just not enough for this thread.

Signed up...barely.

Need more here. For example: why are you convinced that Urbik was hurt? Why can't Pears be a starter?

Not signed up.

Throwing names at us, without rationale and/or backed up by stats = FAIL. FAIL will not be tolerated. :lol:

Compliance is mandatory.

Outstanding thread enforcement. I like it.

BTW, not asking to be signed up.

STUDS : cordy glenn & eric wood

STINKS: everyone else

the Bills Offensive Line gave up the 4th MOST SACKS (48) in the league.

in rushing yards per attempt the bills were ranked 14th. (we had the most rushing attempts by far, 546).

if your not going to upgrade the QB position....then at least keep him upright and improve the O-line.