Trade Byrd and a 3rd for another 1st?

dayman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes two to tangle but why not just sign him to a 3-4 yr deal?

What is the fascination with getting rid of the teams best players, how does that make the team better?

BTW, the Bills are in great shape salary wise why isn't there pressure from the fan base to retain him? I think there has been a long enough drought doing it the other way...try something new, just a thought. :wallbash:

I don't think that anyone is dying to lose Byrd. I think that what most of us are saying is that if you cannot work out a deal then you have a valuable asset that can be used to improve the team.

Jared Allen, Keyshawn Johnson, John Abraham, Randy Moss, and Deion Branch are some examples of non-QB players who were traded for 1st round picks.

Don't forget Roy Williams for 2 1sts!!

I don't think that anyone is dying to lose Byrd. I think that what most of us are saying is that if you cannot work out a deal then you have a valuable asset that can be used to improve the team.

Losing Byrd, even if we got a first, does not necessarily improve the team. Byrd would still have to be replaced. Who does that? A safety they draft? Searcy is good, but not the type of

Safety that Byrd is. Williams is good, but who is he paired with that plays like Byrd? To me, losing Byrd is spinning wheels.

this Byrd decision is the hardest decision of any player in the last 10 years.

Option #1 - make Byrd the highest paid safety in football. 5yr / $45 mil / $27 mil guaranteed (essentially a 3 yr deal).

Option #2 - Franchise tag Byrd at $8.3 for 1 yr (and likely go through the exact same scenario next year, where he misses games waiting til he's 100% healthy before playing).

Option #3 - Franchise Tag & trade.

Option #4 - Franchise Tag & rescind offer at last possible moment (assuming he fails to sign & report on time), making byrd a free agent with little chance of signing a big contract with another team.

Option #5 - let him become a UFA.

Losing Byrd, even if we got a first, does not necessarily improve the team. Byrd would still have to be replaced. Who does that? A safety they draft? Searcy is good, but not the type of

Safety that Byrd is. Williams is good, but who is he paired with that plays like Byrd? To me, losing Byrd is spinning wheels.

Between A. Williams, Searcy, Duke, Meeks & potentially Leonard they are still competent at safety. I don't think that they will draft one regardless. It is a deep position on this team. I am not advocating him being gone but I do not think that it leaves a gaping hole if he is.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It takes two to tangle but why not just sign him to a 3-4 yr deal?

What is the fascination with getting rid of the teams best players, how does that make the team better?

BTW, the Bills are in great shape salary wise why isn't there pressure from the fan base to retain him? I think there has been a long enough drought doing it the other way...try something new, just a thought. :wallbash:

shhhh people here don't want to hear logic… only boohoo byrd don't like buffalo!

not only that, but he seems to have good awareness as far as taking angles and also has popped a few balls free. all in all, byrd may not be the best athlete on the field every game, but he has great football intelligence and instincts. and it's not as if he is a bad athlete, he just doesn't get the gold in the underwear olympics.

Yes, and all these great qualities should be brought up when we negotiate a great trade.

Keep Byrd. Why do certain folks on this board want to get rid of a proven commodity to get an extra roll of the draft dice? He's one of the best DB's in the league. Give him a 5 year contract.

Because, by the way it appears, he doesn't want to stay and won't sign our offer. Remember, both parties have to agree to the contract. If he chooses to stay, then great. If not, tag him and get the best return for him.

That's like asking if you'd take a million dollars for your car.

lol i dont usually agree with Promo but he's spot on

the bills are going to tag and trade byrd and trade him and a 3rd rounder for a 1st rounder? not gonna happen

the bills could probably only get a 5th rounder for him in a sign and trade scenario

lol i dont usually agree with Promo but he's spot on

the bills are going to tag and trade byrd and trade him and a 3rd rounder for a 1st rounder? not gonna happen

the bills could probably only get a 5th rounder for him in a sign and trade scenario

I would be ecstatic if we grabbed a 3rd for him.

Jared Allen, Keyshawn Johnson, John Abraham, Randy Moss, and Deion Branch are some examples of non-QB players who were traded for 1st round picks.

That post was not entirely correct. NFL teams highly value elite pass rushers, WR's , AND of course good QB's. A Left Tackle would be highly valued, as most QB's are right handed. 1st round picks are usually not traded for a safety. It's just not that highly valued, as the genetics involved are not that rare. It's a lot harder to find a 6"5 250+ lb guy that is athletic than a guy that is about 5"10,6"0 weighs about 190,200lbs. Simple as that. These posts about 1st round picks for Byrd are ridiculous. You'd get a 3rd at best. Either pay him market rate for franchise tag at S, or spend that $$ elsewhere and replace Byrd w/ a FA or draft pick. It's unfortunate that one of the Bills better players happens to be a safety, but the position dictates that the money is probably better spent elsewhere. If Byrd was an elite WR or pass rusher, by all means pay the man. Fans may be mad at some of the Bills prior handling of FA's, but this is one player that you should not overpay.

That post was not entirely correct. NFL teams highly value elite pass rushers, WR's , AND of course good QB's. A Left Tackle would be highly valued, as most QB's are right handed. 1st round picks are usually not traded for a safety. It's just not that highly valued, as the genetics involved are not that rare. It's a lot harder to find a 6"5 250+ lb guy that is athletic than a guy that is about 5"10,6"0 weighs about 190,200lbs. Simple as that. These posts about 1st round picks for Byrd are ridiculous. You'd get a 3rd at best. Either pay him market rate for franchise tag at S, or spend that $$ elsewhere and replace Byrd w/ a FA or draft pick. It's unfortunate that one of the Bills better players happens to be a safety, but the position dictates that the money is probably better spent elsewhere. If Byrd was an elite WR or pass rusher, by all means pay the man. Fans may be mad at some of the Bills prior handling of FA's, but this is one player that you should not overpay.

value is a funny thing. byrd's worth to a team that is already a playoff contender, with one glaring hole at safety would be very high. as the final piece to the puzzle i think that hypothetical team would be more than happy to give up a first for a, or maybe the, top safety in the prime of his carreer.

value is a funny thing. byrd's worth to a team that is already a playoff contender, with one glaring hole at safety would be very high. as the final piece to the puzzle i think that hypothetical team would be more than happy to give up a first for a, or maybe the, top safety in the prime of his carreer.

I disagree. Ed Reed in his prime may have fetched a 1st. There is no team in the NFL that trades a 1st for Byrd. A team with a hole at S would trade a mid round pick for a vet or plug it with a younger player. S just isn't a premier position in the NFL. You're talking about the slowest guy in the secondary. That's just the way the game is. Byrd is a nice player, he's not a game wrecker.

See Trent Richardson. He pretty much debunks your entire premise of only wrs and des.

Edit: and he has proven much less in this league at an extremely devalued position than Byrd.

Edited by section122

This is a great post. Last year SF took Eric Reid late in the 1st and had lots of picks. I have no doubt that they would have rather had Byrd than Reid (who is a goo player).

See Trent Richardson. He pretty much debunks your entire premise of only wrs and des.

Edit: and he has proven much less in this league at an extremely devalued position than Byrd.

One exception hardly "debunks" a premise. I believe most NFL pro personnel guys would largely agree with my post. Most teams these days would not even use a high pick on an RB, much less trade a 1st away for another teams RB. That position has been devalued by the passing rules and due to the short careers of RB's. They are largely viewed as having a finite amount of carries in them before they are "used up". Mid rounders often are highly productive. Many observers were shocked that the Browns were able to recoup a 1st for an RB. That was an act of desperation. There will always be exceptions to a rule, but teams value QB, LT, pass rusher and elite WR's more than other positions. That's why they go higher in the draft than safeties.