Chris Kluwe speaks out on being cut last spring

NoSaint

Another deadspin piece - he lays out what he believes are the reasons hes been cut, and why he hasnt found a new gig. He admits age, average ability and price tag likely have a hand in it, but also thinks that his speaking out for gay marriage is a big part of why he was cut and unable to find a new gig. he also outlines some pretty terrible leadership from the special teams coordinator, whether or not you agree with kluwes stance on the issue.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

i can say the vikings should have the option to not want to be associated with kluwes activism, but if some of the comments he included are true its rather unfortunate how it went down.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hank Williams Jr got fired for his remarks, so is this really a surprise?

depends - that they wouldnt want to be associated with someone thats a major activist on a lot of sometimes controversial issues, or that theyd employ a coordinator that would openly discriminate against a group that may have some members in the organization and locker room?

I agree that--if those comments were made to him--that's not going to bode well for the Vikings' organization.

I also think that they are well within their rights to cut a player that cannot seem to keep his social views to himself. Nobody wants to hear that stuff over and over from the same person.

Another deadspin piece - he lays out what he believes are the reasons hes been cut, and why he hasnt found a new gig. He admits age, average ability and price tag likely have a hand in it, but also thinks that his speaking out for gay marriage is a big part of why he was cut and unable to find a new gig. he also outlines some pretty terrible leadership from the special teams coordinator, whether or not you agree with kluwes stance on the issue.

http://deadspin.com/...s-an-1493208214

i can say the vikings should have the option to not want to be associated with kluwes activism, but if some of the comments he included are true its rather unfortunate how it went down.

Obviously, if true, the ST coach is a bad man who no owner should want coaching his team.

But Kluwe has always cultivated his persona as an over the top public commenter. He's smarmy and sort of ball to the wall in his public comments and tweets (check out his "letter" to the homophobic Maryland legislator).

So I had to laugh a little at the very plaintive, sedate recounting of his last season as a Viking and it's "my gosh, I'm just speaking out for human rights!" flavoring.

When you go after the pope, some fans are going to call the front office. The front office is going to ask you to tone it down. You then have a choice. You cna tone it down (and still advocate as the team apparently said he could) or you can continue to go on what some may see as a self serving public crusade. If you chose the latter, you really can't then go back on Deadspin (where he had previosuly called the Maryland official "mind bogglingly stupid", "mindf--ing obscenely hypocritical", with a "rapidly addled mind") and cry about why you think the team let you go.

By the way--he was released in MAY by the Vikes. He shortly after was signed by the Raiders but released before the season started. He agreed the undrafted free agent that the Raiders kept instead of him was a better move for Oakland.

Bottom line, if he was still good, he would still be a Viking, most likely.

Hank Williams Jr got fired for his remarks, so is this really a surprise?

Speaking up in favor of equal rights and comparing the president to Adolf Hitler are two totally different animals. Although, I agree that both ESPN and the Vikings have every bit the right to terminate the employment of whoever they want just as much as both individuals have the right to say whatever they want in the first place. It was incredible to me after Hank Williams, Jr. got fired that people were saying, "what happened to free speech?" Well I can walk into work and tell my female boss she has a nice ass. I'm free to do it- it's legal and I won't get arrested for it- but my company would be within their rights to fire me for it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Obviously, if true, the ST coach is a bad man who no owner should want coaching his team.

But Kluwe has always cultivated his persona as an over the top public commenter. He's smarmy and sort of ball to the wall in his public comments and tweets (check out his "letter" to the homophobic Maryland legislator).

So I had to laugh a little at the very plaintive, sedate recounting of his last season as a Viking and it's "my gosh, I'm just speaking out for human rights!" flavoring.

When you go after the pope, some fans are going to call the front office. The front office is going to ask you to tone it down. You then have a choice. You cna tone it down (and still advocate as the team apparently said he could) or you can continue to go on what some may see as a self serving public crusade. If you chose the latter, you really can't then go back on Deadspin (where he had previosuly called the Maryland official "mind bogglingly stupid", "mindf--ing obscenely hypocritical", with a "rapidly addled mind") and cry about why you think the team let you go.

By the way--he was released in MAY by the Vikes. He shortly after was signed by the Raiders but released before the season started. He agreed the undrafted free agent that the Raiders kept instead of him was a better move for Oakland.

Bottom line, if he was still good, he would still be a Viking, most likely.

Seriously. The NFL is a business predicating on being for all ages, they don't want punters writing pieces with slanderous and foul language.

Kluwe trying to say they cut him because they are cowards is ridiculous. They cut him because he is an unprofessional child who needs to swear in order to be funny. It was his choice to write for Deadspin.

Speaking up in favor of equal rights and comparing the president to Adolf Hitler are two totally different animals. Although, I agree that both ESPN and the Vikings have every bit the right to terminate the employment of whoever they want just as much as both individuals have the right to say whatever they want in the first place. It was incredible to me after Hank Williams, Jr. got fired that people were saying, "what happened to free speech?" Well I can walk into work and tell my female boss she has a nice ass. I'm free to do it- it's legal and I won't get arrested for it- but my company would be within their rights to fire me for it.

Wouldn't that constitute sexual harassment, which is illegal? And I, for one, do not believe Hank compared Obama to Hitler. Rather, his remark was that two polar opposites, Obama and Boehner, golfing together is comparable to two other polar opposites, Hitler and a Jew, golfing together. Sorry, I don't buy into the media hysteria that forbids anything negative being said about issues that determine political correctness.

Wouldn't that constitute sexual harassment, which is illegal? And I, for one, do not believe Hank compared Obama to Hitler. Rather, his remark was that two polar opposites, Obama and Boehner, golfing together is comparable to two other polar opposites, Hitler and a Jew, golfing together. Sorry, I don't buy into the media hysteria that forbids anything negative being said about issues that determine political correctness.

Dude, when you bring Hitler and Jews into a conversation, you're kind of treading on thin ice. FWIW, he also calls Obama "the enemy." Here is the clip: https://www.youtube....h?v=1eF6vCv13bw If you watch this and don't think that ESPN might have wanted to distance themselves from this guy, you're crazy. And I agree with you, I think people/the media can often times be overly politically correct, but this is kind of an extreme example. And again, I don't think anyone would want to take away ol' Hank's freedom to say what he did. Also, in a bit of irony pertaining to our discussion, Hank, Jr. kind of harasses the Fox anchor at the beginning of the clip, don't you think?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Kluwe would have been a huge upgrade over a fading Moorman. Why didn't the Bills try him out? He would a be a huge upgrade next year as well.

You're probably right. Kluwe is better than what we had last year. In any event, Kluwe slammed his ST coach in the piece. To write that would take some balls if it didn't happen...so yeah that probably did happen and that guy looks terrible. Honestly HC doesn't look great either...

Edited by SameOldBills

Dude, when you bring Hitler and Jews into a conversation, you're kind of treading on thin ice. FWIW, he also calls Obama "the enemy." Here is the clip: https://www.youtube....h?v=1eF6vCv13bw If you watch this and don't think that ESPN might have wanted to distance themselves from this guy, you're crazy. And I agree with you, I think people/the media can often times be overly politically correct, but this is kind of an extreme example. And again, I don't think anyone would want to take away ol' Hank's freedom to say what he did. Also, in a bit of irony pertaining to our discussion, Hank, Jr. kind of harasses the Fox anchor at the beginning of the clip, don't you think?

A lot of people have called Obama the enemy, or worse, because of his politics. Hank may have gone a little overboard, but the least ESPN could have done was warned him first. Oh, well, what's done is done.

With respect to Kluwe, I respect his right to be an advocate for whatever cause he wants to support; however, I also respect the ST coach's right to be a bigot. Neither is illegal. However, if Kluwe alleges his release was due to his activism, he has no hard proof. Also, he has no hard proof that the coach said what he alleges. The only place this could play out is in the court of public opinion.

A lot of people have called Obama the enemy, or worse, because of his politics. Hank may have gone a little overboard, but the least ESPN could have done was warned him first. Oh, well, what's done is done.

With respect to Kluwe, I respect his right to be an advocate for whatever cause he wants to support; however, I also respect the ST coach's right to be a bigot. Neither is illegal. However, if Kluwe alleges his release was due to his activism, he has no hard proof. Also, he has no hard proof that the coach said what he alleges. The only place this could play out is in the court of public opinion.

He also has no reason to lie. In fact, if he wants an NFL job, his best play was to stay quiet about it, and not to bring it up.