Buccaneers Hire Lovie Smith as Their Next Head Coach

Smith got screwed by the Bears. Granted the offense he had was ugly, but they were a good team and he got them to a Super Bowl.

Contrast that to a coach like Marvin Lewis. Who in 11 years as head coach with the Bengals has an overall record of 90-85-1, and a playoff record of 0-4. How is this guy still head coach there?

+1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bears blew it by letting him go. He'll do well in Tampa with the right OC.

How did they screw him? That defense was finished and they had a decent run, but Lovie wouldn't have made a difference with that team this season. In fact, their offense would've been stuck in the mid 1990s, because Lovie has NEVER EVER EVER hired a competent OC.

I definitely don't like the fact that Hackett is both OC and QB Coach.

You mix that with a young QB, and a young WR group and it's a recipe for underwhelming offensive performance.

I agree. EJ's mechanics are obviously flawed and he needs to be someone's main concern.

How did they screw him? That defense was finished and they had a decent run, but Lovie wouldn't have made a difference with that team this season. In fact, their offense would've been stuck in the mid 1990s, because Lovie has NEVER EVER EVER hired a competent OC.

I kind of agree.

The decay of the Bears defense (you knew sooner or later that the Urlacher/Briggs/Tillman regime would come to an end) was offset by excellent offensive coaching by Marc Trestman.

Had Lovie still presided, it's very possible that both the offense and the defense would have seriously sucked.

For his career it was probably better that he was fired last year after a good season instead of after a train wreck season at the helm of the 2013 Bears.

I kind of agree.

The decay of the Bears defense (you knew sooner or later that the Urlacher/Briggs/Tillman regime would come to an end) was offset by excellent offensive coaching by Marc Trestman.

Had Lovie still presided, it's very possible that both the offense and the defense would have seriously sucked.

For his career it was probably better that he was fired last year after a good season instead of after a train wreck season at the helm of the 2013 Bears.

I agree on it being better for him that he was fired after going 10-6. The painful part for Bears fans is while Trestman showed promise he had some serious lapses in game management that cost them a game or two and that kept them out of the playoffs this year.

I agree on it being better for him that he was fired after going 10-6. The painful part for Bears fans is while Trestman showed promise he had some serious lapses in game management that cost them a game or two and that kept them out of the playoffs this year.

That's a bit surprising too because Trestman has loads of NFL experience and was Head Coach in the CFL for many years. He seems like a smart guy too so he being weak in game management is surprising to me.

Also the Bears were bottom 3 in points allowed and yards allowed so that didn't help their playoff prospects.

Lewis is adequate.

Would you be satisfied with an 11 year head coach and no playoff wins?

I wouldn't.

At this point, if a coach leads us to the playoffs, I'd let him be mayor of Buffalo. Baby steps.

I definitely don't like the fact that Hackett is both OC and QB Coach.

You mix that with a young QB, and a young WR group and it's a recipe for underwhelming offensive performance.

Excellent points. Plus if Hackett didn't have to be a qb coach, he could concentrate on the offense as a whole.

Hell, we should make EJ workout with Peyton in the offseason. No one has better mechanics maybe in the history of the sport.

He took Rex Grossman to the SB & got fired after going 10-6. He's a damn good coach but I guess he doesn't yell so he's not really that good.

He is a good defensive coach but IMO better suited as a DC then head coach as he doesn't put enough emphasis on offense and made horrible choices for his OC's

I could care less if he yells or not

Edited by Max997

Hell, we should make EJ workout with Peyton in the offseason. No one has better mechanics maybe in the history of the sport.

Or Peyton's throwing guru, David Cutcliffe.

I said this about Fitz and I'll say it again.

There is no harder job in the NFL than quarterback. Most NFL QBs make really good money.

So why would an NFL QB NOT spend enormous resources on professional development?

If I was an NFL QB I'd spend my offseasons with guys like Tom House, David Cutcliffe, George Whitfield, Terry Shea, Chris Weinke, etc.

I'd study with all of these guys and try to find a little kernel of benefit from each of them.

I thought Tim Tebow should be doing this and I hope he is.

PFT reported that he's got a handshake agreement to hire Cal's Jeff Tedford as his OC

I like the hire. I live here in Tampa and the city is relatively excited. My concern is he has man cover corners, and he usually u

See different versions of the Tampa Two. He has a defense suited towards someone from the Rex Ryan tree.

He does have quite a bit of talent that was misused this year. He needs an OC who is great with developing in QB's as Glennon is a work in progress. That is why I liked the comment on Chan. That's his wheelhouse. Chan would have better talent to work with in Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Doug Martin. They need a big back to pound it in and have a one-two punch.

Lovie is a great coach. His players think the world of him, and would go through a brick wall for him. Think back to the Arizona game, when the Bears turned the game around with takeovers. That was the famous game, where Dennis Green had his temper tantrum, "we knew who the Bears are, we let them off they hook, crown their ass'. It was Lovie's coaching at work. He was directly responsible for those turnovers. How do I know ? I had it from the "horses mouth", specifically, one of the players who took the ball away in the second half that night. He told me all about Lovie's coaching. Secondly, I have seen his coaching, in person. Yes, that's right, I know Lovie, and a lot of his players, and I can tell you he is a hell of a coach. Put Chan with him and "goodnight Irene". Trust me, the Bears teams during the Lovie years had every ounce of talent squeezed onto the playing field. Oh, and furthermore, undisciplined players throwing punches, motion penalties, fumbling the ball in the last minutes of a game multiple times, and high penalty counts. No, you won't see that with a Lovie team. It would not be tolerated. Just watch.

Lewis is adequate.

Would you be satisfied with an 11 year head coach and no playoff wins?

I wouldn't.

Mixed feelings. Until very recently the bengals essentially had no scouting department, to put into perspective the type of organization it is.

Because the Bengals were maybe the worst franchise before Lewis got there. Both him & smith are really good coaches.

How many losing seasons did Lewis have when he started? Credit Cinci for sticking with Lewis unlike a certain fan base that would have wanted him run out of town after 10 games.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Lovie was the guy the Bills should have hired. Someone with NFL experience, not Marrone who was only a .500 coach in college. He didn't even have a winning record and that's only college ball.

I'm guessing you have absolutely no idea how bad that Syracuse program was when Marrone took it over. If you did, I think you would have a differing opinion.

I like Lovie, good for him. He will turn Tampa around, maybe as early as next year depending on what he gets out of his QB. Tedford is a solid selection for OC, but I'm not sure about Marinelli @ DC. How will Revis fit into the Tampa 2? They definitely have the Safties for it in Barron and Gholdson.