St. Doug the Apologist

patfitz

After listening to Doug Marrone and company, at the Bills' official end of season, obligatory, "three stooges inspired" press conference, and then followed by his live appearance answering caller questions on the John Murphy show, I personally never recall hearng a more dejected, apologetic coach (at least in recent history, not Gailey, Jauron, Wiilliams and even the intellectually challenged Mike Mularkey, none of them seemed so obsequiously pathetic after their first campaign). For 2013, I would call it a dead heat between Marrone and the infamous embattled and latter day Billls fan, Toronto mayor, Rob Ford in terms of offering up seemingly heartfelt attonement for not living up to his constituents' expectations. Marrone, albeit grudgingly, "obviously" admitted his predicament, that in point of fact, he doesn't have a clue, and is a very distant third or fourth stringer in terms of NFL coaches, compared to Bill Belichick or even other HC rookie contemporaries like Chip Kelly. The Bills FO has been, and continues to be its own worst enemy. After al you can't "airbrush" or photoshop success in the NFL. Can you even imagine any other professional sports organization relying on the collective braintrust of Brandon, Whaley and Marrone? Not exactly the Mt. Rushmore of football genius. It would be like say, appointing the Kardashian sisters as Presidential cabinet members (my apologies to the Kardashians who have, unfortunately, proven to be much more commercially successful than the Billis of late). Okay let's instead just annoint E.J. as the undisputed starter for next season, to avoid even the possible odious scent of controversy or injecting any real competition. This despite the unfortunate string of "injuries" and at the very least his uncertain rookie campaign. Better not open up that can of worms! Whatever happened to accountability and evaluation? I guess those are all distant memories. Oh but wait Bills' fans, hope prevails, maybe we will get lucky and resign the fan favorite, yet apparently leg challenged, Brian Moorman, or even be able to negotiate an extension with our prized, but recenty out of work place kicker, and let's not forget our sentimemtal favorite safety, "little Jimmy" Leonard, who earned at least two more giant tire tracks on his already aging little back, courtesy of NE's third or is he their fourth string RB, I forgot? But take heart, just look at how Leonard fielded that third down surprise kick by the notorious quick kicker, Tom Brady. That was truly spectacular! Or pause to consider today's free agent resignings, of mostly unknown players that will peak our intertest, at least before the next round of cuts. All of this will of course certainly strike fear into NE and the rest of the NFL! I particularly was appalled listening to Marrone's interpretation of his approach to applying analytics, where he indicated that he will at times compare analytics to his own calls and try to see why they may not perfectly align. That is truly forward thinking ( or NOT). Let me offer a non analytical suggestion, If your special teams coach or your players can't stop a kickoff return, just kick the damn ball out of bounds that doesn't require any advanced logic, does it? Or why we can't pass on first down because of having a first year QB and the often confusing defensive looks, (ever hear of Russell Wilson?), or why we continually give up hundreds of uncontested rushing yards to relatvely unknown and otherwise pedestrian RB's. Could it be that we may simply not have the right personnel? What about hiring a QB coach or a tutor? How about a proven special teams coach or even someone semi competant? What about providing Darreus with an alarrm clock or wake up call for attending team meetings? Yet instead of addressing those obvious questions, we get the often regurgitated response, "I obviously need to to do a better job of (fill in the blank) and apologized to his players... for what exactly? Yet it was at the very least reassuring to hear Marrone say that he is provided the opportunity to offer his input to Whaley and company (e.g. the other former Pittsburgh FO rejects) when it comes to player evaluation, free agents and even the entry draft. That, in itself, speaks volumes as to the flawed mentality of the Bills FO.

Edited by patfitz

As a business owner I only care about selling to the guy who writes the checks. This Mt. Rushmore you talk about is missing one key component, Jeffrey Littmann. Yes the CPA, JD, MBA, "mind" of the Bills brain trust. Littman writes the checks & negotiates the deals. Consider Brandon merely as a puppet.

Edited by NFL95MelGrayDomination

Some of the stuff Maroon said was lame. Most of it, in fact. Some of it was disheartening to say the least. But this was unnecessary. He is who is he is, an HC that will be a genius if he gets a top 15 QB or a moron if he doesn't. Truly great HC's are once in a generation guys that still usually have top 15 QB's.

Some people just like to complain.

After listening to Doug Marrone and company, at the Bills' official end of season, obligatory, "three stooges inspired" press conference, and then followed by his live appearance answering caller questions on the John Murphy show, I personally never recall hearng a more dejected, apologetic coach (at least in recent history, not Gailey, Jauron, Wiilliams and even the intellectually challenged Mike Mularkey, none of them seemed so obsequiously pathetic after their first campaign). For 2013, I would call it a dead heat between Marrone and the infamous embattled and latter day Billls fan, Toronto mayor, Rob Ford in terms of offering up seemingly heartfelt attonement for not living up to his constituents' expectations. Marrone, albeit grudgingly, "obviously" admitted his predicament, that in point of fact, he doesn't have a clue, and is a very distant third or fourth stringer in terms of NFL coaches, compared to Bill Belichick or even other HC rookie contemporaries like Chip Kelly. The Bills FO has been, and continues to be its own worst enemy. After al you can't "airbrush" or photoshop success in the NFL. Can you even imagine any other professional sports organization relying on the collective braintrust of Brandon, Whaley and Marrone? Not exactly the Mt. Rushmore of football genius. It would be like say, appointing the Kardashian sisters as Presidential cabinet members (my apologies to the Kardashians who have, unfortunately, proven to be much more commercially successful than the Billis of late). Okay let's instead just annoint E.J. as the undisputed starter for next season, to avoid even the possible odious scent of controversy or injecting any real competition. This despite the unfortunate string of "injuries" and at the very least his uncertain rookie campaign. Better not open up that can of worms! Whatever happened to accountability and evaluation? I guess those are all distant memories. Oh but wait Bills' fans, hope prevails, maybe we will get lucky and resign the fan favorite, yet apparently leg challenged, Brian Moorman, or even be able to negotiate an extension with our prized, but recenty out of work place kicker, and let's not forget our sentimemtal favorite safety, "little Jimmy" Leonard, who earned at least two more giant tire tracks on his already aging little back, courtesy of NE's third or is he their fourth string RB, I forgot? But take heart, just look at how Leonard fielded that third down surprise kick by the notorious quick kicker, Tom Brady. That was truly spectacular! Or pause to consider today's free agent resignings, of mostly unknown players that will peak our intertest, at least before the next round of cuts. All of this will of course certainly strike fear into NE and the rest of the NFL! I particularly was appalled listening to Marrone's interpretation of his approach to applying analytics, where he indicated that he will at times compare analytics to his own calls and try to see why they may not perfectly align. That is truly forward thinking ( or NOT). Let me offer a non analytical suggestion, If your special teams coach or your players can't stop a kickoff return, just kick the damn ball out of bounds that doesn't require any advanced logic, does it? Or why we can't pass on first down because of having a first year QB and the often confusing defensive looks, (ever hear of Russell Wilson?), or why we continually give up hundreds of uncontested rushing yards to relatvely unknown and otherwise pedestrian RB's. Could it be that we may simply not have the right personnel? What about hiring a QB coach or a tutor? How about a proven special teams coach or even someone semi competant? What about providing Darreus with an alarrm clock or wake up call for attending team meetings? Yet instead of addressing those obvious questions, we get the often regurgitated response, "I obviously need to to do a better job of (fill in the blank) and apologized to his players... for what exactly? Yet it was at the very least reassuring to hear Marrone say that he is provided the opportunity to offer his input to Whaley and company (e.g. the other former Pittsburgh FO rejects) when it comes to player evaluation, free agents and even the entry draft. That, in itself, speaks volumes as to the flawed mentality of the Bills FO.

Some of the stuff Maroon said was lame. Most of it, in fact. Some of it was disheartening to say the least. But this was unnecessary. He is who is he is, an HC that will be a genius if he gets a top 15 QB or a moron if he doesn't. Truly great HC's are once in a generation guys that still usually have top 15 QB's.

yeah, but he is just placating the media who needs stories to write. if he doesn't give them crap to write about, he's crushed for being aloof and not having a plan, if he goes on and on, then every word is dissected. like you said , a top 15 QB makes all of this go away. the NFL has made this a QB's league, if you have one, all can be overcome as a coach, if you don't you absolutely get fired within 3 years. that is the model.

You know it's a bit of a horrid post when two moderators sink the boot in.....not that I disagree with them mind you.

This should be a good lesson for new posters. If you want your views to be heard(why else would you be posting), try and make things as clear and easy to read as you can.

Regarding your points, I only read a couple, but I'm not in your camp. We'll see after another year and what is done in free agency, the draft, and a full year for these rookies.

Patience is needed after a first year. I'm as disgusted as everyone else about Sunday, but conversely was excited about the Jets, and Dolphins games.

We're not a playoff caliber team, but we're better than last year even though we had the same record. I was so happy to see a 31st ranked defense move up to top 10, and a running game finishing #2.

If Marrone can fix the passing game and line next year, then we'll have an even better defense. I know we sucked in defending the run. I believe we will get better next year. If we do not I'll jump,on your bandwagon hating every coach the Bills retain.

Amen...

His next best friend would be editing for brevity.....

I read about 20 words in and decided that was more than enough.

I also made it about that far... sorry to the OP but anyone can find fault in just about anything the coach has to say. what are you expecting? exuberance? He obviously wanted better results. I'd also advise you not to read any more of Jerry Sullivan's drivel, as this had his stench all over it.

Amen...

His next best friend would be editing for brevity.....

I read about 20 words in and decided that was more than enough.

Yeah that would have helped.

I don't know why but I think I mushed through most of that post. Its a lof regurgitated, rehashed ideas.

For example this section should probably be bullet points:

et me offer a non analytical suggestion, If your special teams coach or your players can't stop a kickoff return, just kick the damn ball out of bounds that doesn't require any advanced logic, does it? Or why we can't pass on first down because of having a first year QB and the often confusing defensive looks, (ever hear of Russell Wilson?), or why we continually give up hundreds of uncontested rushing yards to relatvely unknown and otherwise pedestrian RB's. Could it be that we may simply not have the right personnel? What about hiring a QB coach or a tutor? How about a proven special teams coach or even someone semi competant? What about providing Darreus with an alarrm clock or wake up call for attending team meetings? Yet instead of addressing those obvious questions, we get the often regurgitated response, "I obviously need to to do a better job of (fill in the blank)

One question for the OP though, what exactly do me you by this?:

Yet it was at the very least reassuring to hear Marrone say that he is provided the opportunity to offer his input to Whaley and company (e.g. the other former Pittsburgh FO rejects) when it comes to player evaluation, free agents and even the entry draft. That, in itself, speaks volumes as to the flawed mentality of the Bills FO.

Are you saying that the coach should not have input into player personnel?

You went of the rails pretty much immediately in your post but that section of the rant I couldn't interpret.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Paragraphs are your friend.

This. I love the "experts" on this board that make posts like this. Of course they have all the requisite knowledge to not only coach, but run the entire organization. Why has nobody in the league hired these guys yet?

Ok ok ok, I read about half way thru because I thought I was almost done. Them I scrolled down and said wtf.... Hahaha I'm not reading all this ****!!!!! Lol.

But back to Marrone, coaches and QB's. Can anybody tell me how many NFL coaches succeded without having a top 15 QB? Because I'm pretty sure it's not many.

We should have a like and dislike function for post, that would he pretty cool!

Edited by NisherJr