Dejavu for Bruce Dehaven...

BmarvB

Really sucks that when DeHaven was coaching the Bills Special teams the first time, he was fired and replaced with the worst ST coach in team history (Ronnie Jones) who happened to be a buddy of Wade Phillips. Then he comes back for a second time around, and what happens? he's canned again - and replaced with the SECOND worst ST coach in Bills history (Crossman) who happens to be a buddy of Doug Marrone.

Personnaly, I miss Bobby April.

Really sucks that when DeHaven was coaching the Bills Special teams the first time, he was fired and replaced with the worst ST coach in team history (Ronnie Jones) who happened to be a buddy of Wade Phillips. Then he comes back for a second time around, and what happens? he's canned again - and replaced with the SECOND worst ST coach in Bills history (Crossman) who happens to be a buddy of Doug Marrone.

Personnaly, I miss Bobby April.

I would love to see DeHaven back

DeHaven's genius strategy was just to have his punters kick the ball out of bounds, because his coverage teams were so poor.

Sometimes simple is smart. DeHaven is playoff bound with Carolina in a subordinate role, I wish him luck.

In my view, DeHaven is barely an improvement over Crossman.

DeHaven's genius strategy was just to have his punters kick the ball out of bounds, because his coverage teams were so poor.

You're just trying to evoke a reaction! You must be kidding!!

I thought you were going to say how the Bills were only good because of Tasker and Mark Pike!

Rick Gosselin's annual ranking of Special Teams had Buffalo near the top for years during Levy/DeHaven's tenure. In fact, the coverage teams were the best part of the special teams with Tasker and Pike making tackles virtually every time. It was our return game that was lacking for talent, never any great returners, but always sound units.

Now we have solid returners who cannot show their greatness because every kick seems to go thru the end zone. (McKelvin, Goodwin, Spiller, Easley are all top notch, Jim Leonhard is so technically sound, his abilities are vastly underestimated.) Our coverage units are poor and we can't seem to find a guy who can put his kicks thru the endzone like our opponents do.

It would have been a "genius" move if Crossman used that strategy therefore Blount wouldn't have had the yardage he had on special teams!

It is pretty genius... Just imagine if a team had a punter that could kick it/drop out of bounds anywhere on the field. Wouldn't that be great. Simple is sometimes the best.

April doesn't miss The Bills. He walked off in a huff when he wasn't given the HC job.

maybe he should have been ???

a heck of a lot better than watching them run, 20, 30, 40, yards up the field . . . indeed, looks downright brilliant compared to what we watched this year

I disagree here.

https://www.youtube....h?v=g1xJ9mViojI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxphsrETDCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zMehnSmpGE

Edited by justnzane

If you guys are citing to early 90s bills ST performance, then you are really stretching to defend dehaven. Those teams were loaded and had 2 ST aces (one hall of famer).

I can cite to you the music city miracle-- probably the single worst display of coaching in the history of all sports. I am also going to pull up the post-MCM stats, and am pretty confident that dehaven's units were some of the worst.

I won't even get into last year's debacle when dehaven forced Moorman (one of the longest tenured guys) out mid-season for his all-world chosen punter, Sean Powell.

Edit: Didn't DeHaven oversee the Chad Morton 2 KO-TD return OT loss to the Jets a few years ago?

Edit 2:

For six straight years, the Buffalo Bills' special teams units - coached in that span by Bobby April - rated in the top four of Rick Gosselin's annual special teams rankings. They finished first in that listing three times, including in 2008.

This year, Buffalo's special teams - coordinated by Bruce DeHaven, returning to the organization for the first time since the Music City Miracle - fell all the way to No. 27 in Gosselin's rankings, according to Allen Wilson of The Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/15/1994739/bills-special-teams-see-drop-off-under-bruce-dehaven

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh