Please explain the Cutler facination

PromoTheRobot

To bring in a guy like Cutler would mean that the coaches and FO guys have made the decision that EJ isn't their guy. There is absolutely no way this is going to happen. For those who are saying "it would be good for EJ to learn from Cutler for a year or two," this is also not going to happen. Cutler is going to be looking for a 4 year deal (at least) with a lot of guaranteed money. He is not going somewhere to be a mentor for a couple years, and then drift off into the sunset.

Forget it folks...not going to happen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be fans who will completely disregard negative intangibles as long as the QB has a big arm. Just look at the die-hard Bledsoe & Losman apologists... some of who wanted to see Ryan friggin' Mallett in a Bills uniform. Cutler would fit right in to what they are looking for in a QB.

And yet this guy had never won anything, and has never come through in a big game. To me he is the definition of average.

PTR

http://www.pro-footb...01101160chi.htm

Also, while the Bears didn't make the playoffs last season, they were 9-6 going into the final game and had a chance depending on what others did. The Vikings won in OT and got to the playoffs instead. Regardless, he put up nice numbers and they won, 26-24: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212300det.htm . In the games he started, the team went 10-5 in 2012.

Edited by dave mcbride

So I ask: why on earth would anyone consider signing Jay Cutler to the Bills?

So I answer: every one always thinks some other guy is the solution. It's been Vick, Campbell, McNabb, Flynn, Vince Young, Pat White, Trent Edwards, Fitzpatrick, Brady Quinn, Derrick Anderson.... And on and on and on. It was Tuel in preseason and now well it's the same ol'.

Bills need to get their own guy and develop him into their guy. Ask Carolina, it doesn't happen overnight. There is a raw product EJ, of whom we won't know his ceiling until late next year, or possibly the season after.

Back to cutler... Talk to a bears fans and what you'll likely hear is you never know which Cutler is going to show up. Denver certainly didn't see him as a franchise player.... But you see a highlight reel and a good throw, you decide he's the next savior.

If he leaves Chicago, I predict Cutler goes to Jacksonville. Would be a good fit there, IMO. Lots of weapons for him, and I think Bradley is a coach who could light a fire under his a$$.

Cutler played at Vandy so I could see him being "a person of interest" to the Titans where he would be Fitz' teammate.

Now if you could put the two together then you'd actually have something.

I would definitely go after cutler. It is very important that we give up on a QB after his rookie year. It has been proven that giving up on first round draft picks is an excellent way to build a team, and we should do that ASAP. Additionally, bringing in cutler would create an instant quarterback controversy, like the Flutie / Johnson years. That is excellent for team chemistry, and team chemistry is very important.

We should go get cutler. Only good can happen.

Jay Cutler is going to be a free agent in 2014. I've heard his name mentioned as a player the Bills should target. But to me Cutler is just another version of Fitz, except he was drafted higher and comes with a little more hype. Cutler and Fitz are having virtually identical stat years in 2013. So I ask: why on earth would anyone consider signing Jay Cutler to the Bills?

PTR

And yet this guy had never won anything, and has never come through in a big game. To me he is the definition of average.

PTR

He's 30-15 his last 4 years (this year included) and has an NFC championship game appearance. He's not a savior, but if that's the definition of average, sign me up for some average qb play.

He's 30-15 his last 4 years (this year included) and has an NFC championship game appearance. He's not a savior, but if that's the definition of average, sign me up for some average qb play.

and that is with Mike Martz & Mike Tice as his offensive coordinators :doh: along with some of the very worst O lines in the game.

Plus, WR Brandon Marshall didn't get to Chicago until 2012. So consider Cutler winning games with the likes of Johnny Knox, Roy E Williams, Devin Hester at WR.

Then you need to remember that the Bills ran a form of the Mike Martz passing offense under Jauron for both JP & Trenty. I dunno about you guys, but I know I'd have a continuous bad attitude as the Bears QB with that surrounding cast.

Jay Cutler is going to be a free agent in 2014. I've heard his name mentioned as a player the Bills should target. But to me Cutler is just another version of Fitz, except he was drafted higher and comes with a little more hype. Cutler and Fitz are having virtually identical stat years in 2013. So I ask: why on earth would anyone consider signing Jay Cutler to the Bills?

PTR

Everyone likes a guy who throws interceptions!

The primary advantage to signing Cutler or another good veteran is to avoid using another high pick on a QB. The team still has lots of needs in other positions, and while we did have injuries at some positions we avoided them in others so our lack of quality depth didn't hurt as much as it could have. The Bills need to get on track with solid drafts, hoping for another gold mine like this past year, fix their salary structure, and take their chances.

I am not convinced about Manuel. Why the heck not take those shots? I think the coaches are holding him back, looking to expand his game next year. That's OK, could work out, but there's also Manuel's frequent injuries to think about. Thad Lewis is a valid 3rd stringer but there's no way he should have started so many games. Whether Manuel or the veteran they bring in will work out better probably depends on who can stand up on any given day.

Not to make excuses for Cutler. He was doing well in Denver when Chicago traded for him. Gave up way too much. Made Denver a stronger team in the long run. Made Chicago a weaker team in the short and medium run. So Cutler gets dropped into a collapsing system in Chicago and still gets thinigs to work fairly well. He still has a cannon for an arm and several years experience with several years left in the tank.

I don't think its the coaches holding EJ back. I think its his limited experience and the fact that he would check down quite often college.

Bottom line, the Bills need to make the playoffs in the next two years or face another regime change. Having a solid QB would be a great help in getting this team to a winning season.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Unlike QB's like Manning, Brees and Brady, Culter needs an above average to elite offensive line for him to play consistently well. Othwerise he is way to up and down. That being said Cutler would be a horrible fit in Buffalo with our personnel and his 5 to 7 step drops he likes to take in the pocket. He would get killed in Buffalo and would be an interception machine.

That record is more due to playing on a team with a top 5 defense every year and the best special teams in the game (Hester scoring points) than Jay Cutler who has been very inconsistent and polarizing in his time in Chicago.

PTR

I agree with that, perhaps label him as slightly above average. I have watched a lot of Bears game and there are too many to count where Cutler played horrible (no protection from the o-line) and still won the game because of their defense and Hester scoring points on special teams. Not to mention all the great field position he gave their offense throughout those years too.

Cutler is fools gold for the vast amount of teams in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

No on Cutler. Look how McCown looked better than him while out. Fitz would look good throwing to Marshall and Jeffries. ThOse two are the best tandem in the NFL along with Forte.

I'd rather spend our draft on another QB if an excellent prospect is there. Besides it would push Thad and EJ to be better. Washington did it.

The difference from old timers thinking is the new rookie salary contracts. Rookies are cheap so take another shot. It's a deep class.

We'll see as I don't want to get into free agency and draft discussions now. I'd rather enjoy the game tomorrow, have fun with the playoffs, and then start looking at every possibility for us. It's a long off season as you guys know.

Agreed completely. If only Buffalo had half a chance of landing someone of his caliber.

No on Cutler. Look how McCown looked better than him while out. Fitz would look good throwing to Marshall and Jeffries. ThOse two are the best tandem in the NFL along with Forte.

I'd rather spend our draft on another QB if an excellent prospect is there. Besides it would push Thad and EJ to be better. Washington did it.

The difference from old timers thinking is the new rookie salary contracts. Rookies are cheap so take another shot. It's a deep class.

We'll see as I don't want to get into free agency and draft discussions now. I'd rather enjoy the game tomorrow, have fun with the playoffs, and then start looking at every possibility for us. It's a long off season as you guys know.

McCown will be a hot property this off-season. Not that he'll be annointed as a starter, but a terrific backup, a guy who can start and a great teammate.