Alex Carrington.... i don't get it

Webster Guy

He has shown to be a very good run stopper, very good pass deflector and a decent pass rusher PLUS a very good player on special teams (FG block unit). Just because he doesn't have 10+ sacks/year doesn't mean he isn't good.

With a build up like that, he should have more than 9 starts for a career. "Very good" players can be pro bowl candidates, not bench sitters.

That other teams mention him says a lot.

Seriously? C'mon................

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is not stated here is that besides Carrington, we have been injury-free on the front 7. It is easy to point how his absence was not missed but one injury on the front 4 would have been a big problem. I havent seen enough of any backup to feel comfortable . AC is home grown, hard worker while not spectacular.

I would favor signing him to a reasonable contract worthy of a good backup.

That's a solid point.

With a build up like that, he should have more than 9 starts for a career. "Very good" players can be pro bowl candidates, not bench sitters.

No offense...But do you watch the games or just read the stat sheet?...

There is no possible way that any Bills fan paying any attention to what is actually going on (on the field) could not have come away impressed by Carrington in 2012...And this year, Pettine put him in the line-up as a starting DE from day #1, and the current coaching staff did nothing but rave about Carrington...

He was a a little slow to develop early on in his career...Coming out of Arkansas St as a 3rd Round pick, and having 2 different Defensive Coordinators in his first three years in the NFL did not help his progress...And both of those DC's were absolutely terrible...The first one (Edwards) tried to make him an OLB in the 3-4 which is obviously not his natural position, and forced him to try to keep a weight that was far less than his body-type...I think all things considered it's understandable Carrington took a bit of time...But Alex came on big time in 2012 and was clearly one of the Bills best players on Defense that year...There were games where he was in the backfield constantly...Don't know how you missed that...He's a very solid D-Lineman, and if he comes back healthy he will be entering the prime of his career...You can't judge the kid by his early years...This organization was a complete cluster-you-know-what under Edwards and Wanny on D...Still...Once Carrington became a full time D-lineman, and filled in, he blossomed big-time... B-)

Whats interesting is I think Charles gives us more playmaking ability the guy from Canada......u resign Carrington u take playing time away from Charles......

Signing Branch to that extenstion was great......I really thought we were gonna lose him

Charles is a DT and Carrington a DE in this system, are they not?

DL depth is necessary. Corbin Bryant and Charles have been OK, I guess. But there was a TD drive vs. Atlanta where I remember seeing Bryant, Charles and one other backup DL on the field and Atlanta ran a hurry-up to prevent substitutions. They got absolutely gashed.

Carrington is a solid rotational player, and hopefully can be re-signed at a reasonable rate to have better depth in cases like that.

snapback.pngBmarvB, on 23 December 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I'm thinking they should at least give him (and Troupe) a fair chance to compete in training camp before cutting them both loose or working out a trade for whatever they can get for either or both.

"Troup was cut this preseason. No one picked him up."

Good! Now we can really get him cheap, and then think how good that DLine will be!

Carrington was the best D lineman last year to me. I thought he was really coming on as a force. Seeing as the Bills vaunted 6-9 defense still sucks against the run, I think the Bills should be interested in anyone who has shown ability to stop it.

this!

I thought they were playing Carrington inside in Pettine's system

By the way....im not AGAINST Carrington being resigned.....I hate when we draft talent only to have it leave.......but that Eugene Parker man........

I thought that Branch took his spot in the starting lineup when Carrington got injured. I know they list both Dareus and K. Williams as DT and Mario as OLB. I want to say Branch/Carrington are called DE when they post starting lineups and such

I think he was playing pretty well at the end if last year. But I agree with you. I really don't see him as some irreplaceable piece. Honestly, I don't think he will be a Bill next year.

I think Hughes has already replaced him as the Pass Rusher. I don't think the Bills will sign Carrington. The question is: How long has Hughes been signed.

Poor logic.

It's still dependent on circumstances. For Carrington, he wasn't especially good for his first year or two. He was a developmental player who has now developed. He started the first three games this year and would have started a bunch more if not injured. He was absolutely playing very well in camp and up until he was injured.

As always, price matters, but the Bills really like Carrington, and the reason is simply that he was playing very well for us before the injury.

I'm with the "(1) Hope Carrington is on the team next year but (2) Eugene Parker" group on this one.

Worth remembering that one of the things Parker is known for is understanding extremely well what the market is for his players. He asks a lot, but not more than he actually ends up getting. Carrington, unlike Byrd and Jason Peters, isn't in position to ask for break-the-bank money, not coming off the injury and not with his lack of playing time.

Parker researches the heck out of what comparable players are getting. He'll ask as much as he can get, but likely won't ask more than he can get around the league.

Edited by Thurman#1

I would re sign Carrington if he would take a reasonable contract. He is a good back up. But if he wants starter money I would let him walk. He's a back up and has to realize it for me to want him back. Bottom line I wouldn't over pay him especially since the Bills have locked up Allen Branch.

Here's a Pro Football Focus article on Carrington's 2012 performance:

https://www.profootb...lex-carrington/

And he had improved quite a bit and was playing better at the beginning of this year.

Nice article . thanks for the find . And i think that about sums it up. Carrington is step up from Charles and Bryant . No Offense to either of them but they are both raw and Alex was just getting his footing when injury occurred I dont think he has much leverage as far as contracts go . And i sure hope we sign him up .

He hasn't really excelled in this defense, something many others have. Since he serves no obvious role on defense, he's probably gone at the end of the season.

Um, he went on season ending IR in mid-September

I would re sign Carrington if he would take a reasonable contract. He is a good back up. But if he wants starter money I would let him walk. He's a back up and has to realize it for me to want him back. Bottom line I wouldn't over pay him especially since the Bills have locked up Allen Branch.

This, except I'm OK with starter money. Parker is his agent and is likely to try for star money tho.

Worth remembering that one of the things Parker is known for is understanding extremely well what the market is for his players. He asks a lot, but not more than he actually ends up getting. Carrington, unlike Byrd and Jason Peters, isn't in position to ask for break-the-bank money, not coming off the injury and not with his lack of playing time.

Parker researches the heck out of what comparable players are getting. He'll ask as much as he can get, but likely won't ask more than he can get around the league.

Parker's research sometimes seems to slur over a few distinctions. Overall, you're right in that he usually gets his asking price, but I'm not sure it's always to the long term benefit of his players.

I think Hughes has already replaced him as the Pass Rusher. I don't think the Bills will sign Carrington. The question is: How long has Hughes been signed.

Hughes is signed through 2014.....becomes a FA in 2015. If the pattern continues of re-signing desired players within their last contract year continues, I would imagine that we will rework his deal sometime during next season.

Parker's research sometimes seems to slur over a few distinctions. Overall, you're right in that he usually gets his asking price, but I'm not sure it's always to the long term benefit of his players.

His players would disagree with you. As would I. Crabtree's the only one I can think of, and can we be sure it was Parker who wanted to do that and not Crabtree himself?

Outside of the Crabtree holdout, where has he caused problems for his players? Just the opposite, He's caused a lot of problems for teams not willing to pay market value, but he hasn't hurt his players interest.

What distinctions does Parker's research slur over? Peters got what he wanted. Byrd almost certainly will to if the Bills don't sign him. You said his players generally get his asking price, so in what way is he hurting the long-term interests of his players?

Parker is one of the few - the only - agents who signs lifetime contracts with his players. He stays with them and represents them even after their playing days when their earning potential is a great deal less. For his players, Parker is a good guy.

Those two aren't filling the same role at all. All you have to do is look at them to know that.

Hughes is 6'2" and 254 pounds.

Carrington is 6'5" and 301 pounds.

Carrington is a lineman who can play physical with just about anyone. He's quick for a lineman, but he can play DL or 3-4 DE. Hughes is playing as a lineman, a 4-3 DE, but he's essentially a designated pass rusher who gets taken out for run downs. Carrington won't get taken out on run downs.

Edited by Thurman#1

Those two aren't filling the same role at all. All you have to do is look at them to know that.

Hughes is 6'2" and 254 pounds.

Carrington is 6'5" and 301 pounds.

Carrington is a lineman who can play physical with just about anyone. He's quick for a lineman, but he can play DL or 3-4 DE. Hughes is playing as a lineman, a 4-3 DE, but he's essentially a designated pass rusher who gets taken out for run downs. Carrington won't get taken out on run downs.

He should though. He has not been very good vs there run and he is certainly not better against it than Branch.

So if Branch plays on run downs and Hughes on passing downs, where does that leave Carrington? Depth?

So if Branch plays on run downs and Hughes on passing downs, where does that leave Carrington? Depth?

Exactly which is why there's probably less than a 50% chance that he returns.

I think some team out there desperate for D-linemen will offer him borderline starter's money.

Especially in view of Parker's relationship with the Bills, I think Carrington's departure is a fait accompli.