We have plenty to look forward too

The Bills are...

1st in sacks.

2nd in interceptions.

5th in passing YPG.

8th in total defense.

10th in rushing defense

We have only given up 8 rushing touchdowns, 6th in the league.

The pass defense has given up 27 passing touchdowns, 21st in the league. (This has and will get better with time)

On offense, we are..

2nd in rushing yards.

Other than that we have a lot to hope for.

We have a top ten Defense and a winning record with in the division, we have plenty to look forward too in the coming years of the Marrone era.

Marrone needs to make a call on his offensive Coordinator. Chan Gaily had this offense ticking with less skill, Gailey would have gone wild with the speed of our offense. It would be awesome if Marrone brought in an offensive assistant to help Hacket and replace him if they need to fire him in the middle of the season. Just dreaming, because I don't think they will fire Hacket in fear of hindering EJ s progress. Someone needs to have a chat with him though.

Spiller is a star and Hacket needs to figure out speed and space. The HB draw or whatever play that is sending spiller up the gut from shotgun is possibly the most unsuccessful most ran play ever. Why does he keep running this wasted play (lets look into the analytics on that). If Spiller walks next season because Hacket can not make it work I will be extremely disappointed in this franchise. Even more so when he becomes the player all of the fans knows he can be, placed in the correct situation.

We must address offensive line, big target wide receiver and LB in the offseason. I would also like to spend a pick on a tailback, fred is not going to be here forever (31years old, but damn he is good).

We are in much much better shape this offseason than we were in the last.

Go Bills and Happy Holidays everyone.

Don't you think that Marrone wants this style of offense since he and Hackett developed it? Hackett is not getting fired, our problem is QB play. when that improves Hackett will "suddenly" become smarter.

Not sure why people are hating on Hackett. He is able to win games with backups at QB and WR, and if the QB's were a little more accurate as this poster states the Bills would have scored alot more points. Today alone he missed a few long balls that were open.

I like what Hackett has done so far, and I think with experience (him, EJ, and receivers) its only going to get better.

Regardless what anyone thinks, Hackett isn't going anywhere. So might as well get used to him.

Not sure why people are hating on Hackett. He is able to win games with backups at QB and WR, and if the QB's were a little more accurate as this poster states the Bills would have scored alot more points. Today alone he missed a few long balls that were open.

I like what Hackett has done so far, and I think with experience (him, EJ, and receivers) its only going to get better.

Regardless what anyone thinks, Hackett isn't going anywhere. So might as well get used to him.

I'm not an EJ fan but that stems from not seeing great things in college. If he was awesome in college and played the same as he has this year I would be in the be patiant crowd but considering he looks basically the same as he was then, I'm not optimistic. I am kind of surprised how many people are against him though as many Bills fans stick by the team right or wrong, I thought I would the loner in this group. Maybe many feel he was a reach and him performing poor to average confirms this.

I've defended Hackett for his conservative offense for most of the season but there are things I'd like to see done differently.

1) Put EJ under center. His footwork isn't great and Hackett makes it more difficult for him by continuously putting him in the shotgun. Shotgun footwork is different and EJ struggles with it. We've seen EJ look much better - and more accurate - when he's under center.

2) Stop with the read option. EJ rarely keeps the ball and at this point I don't want him keeping it. If QB doesn't every keep the ball it does nothing to keep the D honest and just slows the development of the run play.

3) For the love of god get rid of the hurry up. A team should only want to maximize possessions if they have a better offense than their opponent. Otherwise it's foolhardy. Why get into a track meet with other teams' offenses when they're superior to you? It also hamstrings the defense. Unless this offense develops into a juggernaut just huddle up. We saw the offense huddle up yesterday and when combined with a dominant run oriented attack they can control the game.

I would love to see a separate QB coach added to the staff.

Does everyone realize that Gailey offense wasn't all that great his first year here? Gaileys offenses were good but it took time. It's Hackett and Marrones first year w a rookie and 2 UDFA QBs and they've put up more offensive yards in 15 games than Gailey did in 16 his first season. Not saying that Hacket is better or even equal to but let's stop romanticizing Gailey and give these new Bills some time.

Agreed. Let's recap a little. (1) Hackett is a first year offensive coordinator who is still getting a handle on the talents, personalities, work habits, attitudes, potential, etc of his offensive players (2) He inherited an offensive team that has been, realistically speaking, middle of the pack at best (3) He had a revolving door at quarterback due to injuries - with his starting quarterback being a rookie who missed significant practice and playing time during the preseason and regular season (4) His running backs spent much of the year hobbled by injuries as did several of his receivers (5) The interior of his offensive line was, shall we say, less than stellar in both run blocking and pass protection (6) Based on the the defensive statistics of opponents, his team played one of the toughest schedules in the league....

I have been a die hard Bills fan since the very first game I attended in 1968. I want a winner as much as anyone...and have been as frustrated as everyone else over the lack of progress since the late 90's. Yet, I still try to evaluate this team based on a realistic view of as much information as I can - not simply through the cynical the lens of fifteen years of frustration. Plus, I really am not into writing anyone off before they have had a legitimate chance to succeed... But that's just me

Edited by billsfan1959

Agreed. Let's recap a little. (1) Hackett is a first year offensive coordinator who is still getting a handle on the talents, personalities, work habits, attitudes, potential, etc of his offensive players (2) He inherited an offensive team that has been, realistically speaking, middle of the pack at best (3) He had a revolving door at quarterback due to injuries - with his starting quarterback being a rookie who missed significant practice and playing time during the preseason and regular season (4) His running backs spent much of the year hobbled by injuries as did several of his receivers (5) The interior of his offensive line was, shall we say, less than stellar in both run blocking and pass protection (6) Based on the the defensive statistics of opponents, his team played one of the toughest schedules in the league....

I have been a die hard Bills fan since the very first game I attended in 1968. I want a winner as much as anyone...and have been as frustrated as everyone else over the lack of progress since the late 90's. Yet, I still try to evaluate this team based on a realistic view of as much information as I can - not simply through the cynical the lens of fifteen years of frustration. Plus, I really am not into writing anyone off before they have had a legitimate chance to succeed... But that's just me

Very well said.

Don't you think that Marrone wants this style of offense since he and Hackett developed it? Hackett is not getting fired, our problem is QB play. when that improves Hackett will "suddenly" become smarter.

Here is the rub with me. Hackett is already calling plays like he has a vet QB behind center, and he has done this with every QB all year....even with Jeff Tuel.

This OC passes to setup the run game, and when they run game isn't working he keeps calling for passes, thus putting these young QB's under great duress. Then what happens when the team gets behind in points is the OC starts calling for even more passing plays and he puts the game in jeopardy when the QB fails to make plays due to all the pressure on him to carry the team.There is no plan B when the run game fails.This is also a big reason as to why the Bills lost games they should have won this year.

I feel had the Bills upgraded the O line properly in the off season then they could run the ball in any situation, and not just when they have a lead or when the passing game is working.

Rookie or no rookie some of the mistakes of these highly paid professional offensive coaches have made this season have been very questionable, and what is to say that they won't keep happening. But, if this team does upgrade the O line properly this off season then Hackett can get away with his current play calling most of the time.

This OC passes to setup the run game,

I'm not sure what games you're watching but this is absolutely incorrect. The Bills are last in the league in passing percentage on 1st down at 49.47%. They lead the league in runs per game at 34.1 and they're 24th in passing att per game with 32.9. Their passing play percentage is 30th in the league at 51.24%.

Hackett has called a run first offense for most of the games this year and the season's statistics bear this out.

I have no idea how someone could watch the games and come away with the idea that Hackett uses the pass to set up the run.

I'm not sure what games you're watching but this is absolutely incorrect. The Bills are last in the league in passing percentage on 1st down at 49.47%. They lead the league in runs per game at 34.1 and they're 24th in passing att per game with 32.9. Their passing play percentage is 30th in the league at 51.24%.

Hackett has called a run first offense for most of the games this year and the season's statistics bear this out.

I have no idea how someone could watch the games and come away with the idea that Hackett uses the pass to set up the run.

Not hard at all. Lewis came out throwing yesterday even though he couldn't hit the side of a barn. It was all to get the Dolphins to respect the pass so Fred &.CJ had some room.

I'm encouraged because our wins have largely been quality wins. We swept the Fins who are 8-5 against all other opponents. The Ravens are defending SB champions despite their decline in personnel and the Panthers are among the best in the NFL. Even the Jets aren't complete walkovers. Only the Jaguars are a bottom third team.

Furthermore, the Bills were outclassed only three times. New Orleans, Pittsburgh and Tampa. The other six losses are coulda, shoulda, woulda. Compare that to other recent years where I'd estimate the Bills never even stood a chance in 6 or 7 games.

I know that the only thing that matters is the record, but a gigantic criticism of both the Gailey and Jauron regimes was that they never beat good teams, and I'd say that's turned around.

Not hard at all. Lewis came out throwing yesterday even though he couldn't hit the side of a barn. It was all to get the Dolphins to respect the pass so Fred &.CJ had some room.

I listened to Thad's presser. He said you have to throw deep every so often to keep the defense honest and prevent them from stacking the line against the run. Basic stuff, but it was nice to hear. He also gave credit to the O-line several times during the presser becuase they were playing so well.

I am optimistic for next year. After the Toronto game (and Pittsburgh) knocked them off their tracks, the Jacksonville game was so-so, but dominating a Miami team who has been playing well and playing for a playoff berth is uplifting. I see a lot of bright spots this year:

D-Line and Hughes' pressure on QBs. (I hope we dont lose Pettine)

Interceptions.

McKelvin seems to have turned the corner as a good defensive back

2013 draft picks

some good character to not throw in the towel (I dont think there is a huge difference between picks 4-12, really.

They need to resign Byrd IMO and do some very honest assessment on EJ Manuel and possible other options. They need a "big" go-get it receiver and/or the same as a tight-end (which may be a 1st round direction). Also LG and acquiring a little depth at OL, LB, CBs. Another linebacker would be sweet, Mosely?

All those things may be difficult, but if all happened, they would be legit and poised to overtake the Patriots.

And Im normally a pessimist when it comes to the Bills.

Last night, during Sunday Night Football, I listened to Chris Collinsworth go on and on, ad nauseum, about what a genius Chip Kelly is and how prolific the Eagles offense is. Then, I thought about all of the posters on this board who are calling for Hackett's head. So, I thought I would take a general look at the two and their circumstances this year:

1) Kelly inherited an offensive team that finished 5th or better in 3 of the last four years. Hackett inherited a team that finished 15th or worse in 3 of the last four years.

2) Kelly's quarterbacks this year were Michael Vick (no matter what you think of him - he can still make plays) and Nick Foles - who is a third year player that started 7 games prior to this season. Hackett's quarterbacks were Manuel, Tuel, and Lewis - with a grand total of one start between them prior to this year.

3) In regard to defenses, Yards per Play (Yds/P) tends to be a pretty good guage of those defenses that are tough to move the ball against consistently. In regard to the Eagles, the Yds/P ranking of their opponents (from lowest to highest) were 4, 8, 8, 17, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 28, 30, 31, 32. The defensive Yds/P ranking of the Bills opponents were 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, 10, 11, 11, 12, 14, 16, 16, 17, 20, 22, 29.

4) 6 of the Eagles 15 opponents were top 20 or better (with only 3 in the top 15) while 13 of the Bills 15 opponents were top 20 or better (with 10 in the top 15). Looking at just the top ten defenses, the Eagles faced 3 and the Bills faced 6. Against teams with a top 10 Yds/P ranking, the Eagles averaged 297 ypg and 25 ppg, while the Bills averaged 349 ypg and 25.3 ppg against defenses with a top 10 Yds/P ranking.

I am not saying Hackett is better, the same, or worse than Kelly. Kelly may be the second coming of Don Coryell and Hackett may be out of the NFL in two years - or vice versa. My point? Actually, I have several:

1) Determining the success or failure of a coach requires more than a superficial look at their product.

2) There isn't anyone on this board that can say either coach would have been better or worse than the other if they switched circumstances

3) 15 games as a coach in the NFL is merely a snapshot. I need a greater body of work before I am willing to label someone a genius...or a failure

Edited by billsfan1959

You take your crazy logic and get out of here. Making sense like that...you should be banned. :nana:

Seriously... great post.