Who's the better back, right now? Freddy J or CJ Spiller?

Estro

Without considering age or how many years left they have in the league, who is the better RB today? CJ Spiller or Freddy Jackson? If only one back could get all of the carries in our next game vs. Miami which back would you want to get all of those carries, Freddy or CJ? I'll chime in with my opinion at the end. If anyone know how to start a poll, I'd appreciate it if you could set one up, so people could simply vote (I don't know how to do that).

I think it depends on your offense & what you ask of your RB. For us, (& I think most other offenses), FJ is the more complete back & therefore more valuable. WAY better at pass protection, WAY better of "wiggling for an extra yd or 2" and better at making one person (at least partially) miss for a few extra yds in the open field.

If however, you have an otherwise VERY strong offense, the home run threat that CJ brings can't be discounted. FJ is at least & prolly more capable, of making 10 yd plays, but he doesn't have the ability to make LONG plays that CJ possesses.

Spiller's a role-playing RB and always has been. Last season was an anomally, anyone expecting more like it is merely fooling themself.

FJ's the only 3-down RB on the roster.

Having said that, he's 33 next season and it's remarkable that he performed the way he has at 32. The dropoff in his performance at 33 next season should be notable.

Check out some of the greats and how they ran, relative to their prior years, at 33. Many didn't even play after 32.

Right now Fred. Loved it last week when instead of running out of bounds he waited a moment for the DB to get in position and then just smashed him. Gained an extra yard and gave the DB a headache. Close to "unnecessary roughness" in a legitimate sort of way.

To be fair CJ seems to have been operating with a foot injury almost all of this season. I admire CJ for fighting through it for the team.

But this Sunday we need them both. If you want a yard you need Fred. If you want 80 yards in one hit its CJ.

Fred, and as another poster put it - it really is not even close, but he is not getting any younger.

Spiller is faster, but Fred is more consistent moving the chains and getting a team the hard yards and first downs when desperately needed. Fred is also the better blocker by a long stretch.

Not hating on Spiller, but Fred has that inner toughness that Spiller has not developed yet to go through adversity when there are no options to dance around it.

They're different... not really super comparable.

Fred is a good all around back, he does everything well, nothing great.

CJ does a couple things great, and a couple things average/poorly.

His blitz pickups are as good as there is - I'd say he's great at it.