Measuring EJ's progress

vegas55

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ej is sloppy footed and slow eyed. He's basically Marc sanchez out there, except he's better with turnovers (who isn't?) And makes no real threats at passing down field. I don't see him getting better, obv would love to be wrong.

Who isn't? Geno Smith.

After an disasterous start, EJ played pretty well today. I think he started 0-4 with an INT and finished 17-24 2TDs and 1 INT. After the start, EJ was 17-20 with 2 TDs.

Robert Woods is fast becoming his favorite WR and Chandler (whom I think is a decent player, but not great). Stevie Johnson wasn't able to help much and I'm not sure why TJ Graham continues to start.

My takeaway, EJ is a rookie who struggles at times and has shown glimpes of being good. He is playing kind of with one-hand tied behind his back with no big WR, Johnson not helping much and TJ Graham just taking up space on the field.

Think he is showing the promise we were told he had, lots of physical potential but inconsistent and needs reps. He shows flashes at being a franchise QB but as other posters have pointed out he needs more weapons and better protection AND better playcalling. I think Hackett has gotten better as the season has progressed, but still see some moronic calls from him. A QB develops with a good playcaller and protection, EJ may be able to overcome lack of receivers but OLine and playcalling is fundamental to his development. Once again it looks like the majority of the board here is ready to cut ties simply because he isn't RG3/Luck, but seeming like a big Ben minus the tools around him. Understand that with the new rookie salary cap that you CAN draft another QB until you find one, but for every QB you draft you waste the chance of finding a franchise player at other positions and should not be something you do lately. If the Bills draft another QB round 1 they are giving up on Manuel whether you think otherwise or not.

After an disasterous start, EJ played pretty well today. I think he started 0-4 with an INT and finished 17-24 2TDs and 1 INT. After the start, EJ was 17-20 with 2 TDs.

I for one am very happy with EJ's progression today. As you pointed out, his first 2 drives were horrible. After those first 2 drives, though he still made plenty of errors as a rookie QB is prone to do(especially on the road)......he had.....

85% completion percentage

9.65 yards/attempt

2 TDs(plus 1 rushing)

QBR = 146.5

To be quite honest, I don't care if he missed some bigger plays where there were some open receivers.....I'd happily take those numbers every week for the next 14 years from him.

Good lord folks. The kid is a rookie who does not even have a full year under his belt - patience much?

As he learns to read defenses better he feet will settle down and he will hit those wide open receivers and from what I saw today there was a concerted effort to keep running the ball. A good plan that kept the Jax defense from teeing off and limited the bad throws into coverage.

And we won.

Personally after last weeks loss & beating one of if not the worst team in the NFL EJ needs to concentrate more on his play and less on his celebration when he scores !!

Maybe after he gets 2 wins in a row he can do his dancing but for now just show us why they brought him here as a first rounder & let the fans believe as much as the coach does the he will be the guy .

Because I'm still not convinced especially with this win ! This one should have been a given & he only won by one score !!

I was at the game. For the first time I got to see the whole field as plays developed. EJ is worse than I thought. TJ, and Chandler spent the first half open. EJ dosent see wide open guys. WIDE OPEN. and if he does, you can't count on a good ball.

That was the most open looks that EJ has seen all season. His numbers look pretty good but he didn't play nearly that well.

The Jaguars are by far the worst opponent the Bills have faced this season. They are absolutely injury ravaged. It was the equivalent of us starting Easley, Hogan and Choice as our WR/RB.

Anyone who is apologizing about the Bills record because of their roster need only look at the enormous gap in talent between the Bills and the Jags and the miniscule difference in their record/performance today.

Manuel was simply awful at the beginning of the game and there was a sense that the team was just going to mail it in again.........but the Jags are just SO woeful on offense and in the secondary that every time the Bills self destructed the Jags returned the favor.

Manuel was simply awful at the beginning of the game and there was a sense that the team was just going to mail it in again.........but the Jags are just SO woeful on offense and in the secondary that every time the Bills self destructed the Jags returned the favor.

When Denard Robinson fumbled going across the goal line, I laughed and turned to my wife and said, "This must be what it's like when other teams play the Bills." It was like playing ourselves today in many respects.

That was the most open looks that EJ has seen all season. His numbers look pretty good but he didn't play nearly that well.

The Jaguars are by far the worst opponent the Bills have faced this season. They are absolutely injury ravaged. It was the equivalent of us starting Easley, Hogan and Choice as our WR/RB.

Anyone who is apologizing about the Bills record because of their roster need only look at the enormous gap in talent between the Bills and the Jags and the miniscule difference in their record/performance today.

Yea winning their last 3 in a row and 4 of their last 5, Jax is simply terrible. Including 3 road wins.

Anything to discredit a good performance. Let's start blaming the team he was playing. You play the team lined up across from you. Yea, he looked like crap on 2 drives in the first qtr but then went 17-20 for 193 yards for 2 TDs and ran for another. Shame on him.

Robert Woods is fast becoming his favorite WR and Chandler (whom I think is a decent player, but not great). Stevie Johnson wasn't able to help much and I'm not sure why TJ Graham continues to start.

My takeaway, EJ is a rookie who struggles at times and has shown glimpes of being good. He is playing kind of with one-hand tied behind his back with no big WR, Johnson not helping much and TJ Graham just taking up space on the field.

Because he gets open with great regularity

Good lord folks. The kid is a rookie who does not even have a full year under his belt - patience much?

As he learns to read defenses better he feet will settle down and he will hit those wide open receivers and from what I saw today there was a concerted effort to keep running the ball. A good plan that kept the Jax defense from teeing off and limited the bad throws into coverage.

And we won.

I think he has a long career ahead of him in the NFL because of his intangibles but he is a very long term project IMO.

I don't think you......or any NFL fan has the patience for how long it is going to take.

EJ is just a mess of poor natural accuracy, poor mechanics and slow processor speed.

After most of a season watching him at the NFL level I think his middle range is as a teasing Jason Campbell-type backup and his upside might be as an Alex Smith in 5-6 years.

Those two guys have had their moments......but most of their careers have been spent severely disappointing their fans.

In the meantime.......I think perhaps 30 better QB prospects could enter the league over the next 5 years. I know there will be a dozen in the next two years alone.

There are simply more quality QB prospects entering the league due to the NCAA becoming more pass happy and the NFL becoming a safer place to play QB.

Clinging to one and hoping is probably not a very sound approach in that environment.

An influx in talent will only accentuate the difference between teams that have great, good, average, mediocre and lousy quarterbacking.

The team would always be well served to keep looking for a better QB.......but especially in this case.

Actually it would be like us playing Graham, Goodwin and either Spiller or Jackson (whoever you believe our #2 is because Todman is their #2). But why let facts get in the way of your point.