Forget the Bills for a second... Is the NFL losing it's appeal to

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL is slowly fading in my heart. Mainly cause the Bills suck...we have a crappy owner...you can't hit a QB anymore...its getting boring!

I'm starting to watch a lot of college football...I love the rivals...the bowl games...ect.

Id probably feel different if the Bills were winning or putting effort into...but...yea its fading on me.

Sucks to lose. Sucks even more to lose a lot. If the Bills we're winning, your rose would be blooming again regardless of the zebras.

Boom

I agree with this. If the Bills are 10-3 right now, this thread is inconceivable.

It's all projection.

I have been feeling this way since goodell became dictator. I have put up with the crap they call officiating for a while but when I see one team get penalized for something and not the other in the same game it pisses me off. The constant rule changes, the inconsistency in the calls, the favoritism, and the game changing taking a team by the hand and leading them to the endzone make me not want to watch or go to the games anymore. I'm at the point where I'm going to give up my passion. I love football. But it's becoming less the loyal girlfriend and more the cheating whore that you need to cut loose

LMFAO!!! Good post. I agree. I've been feeling this way for the last 2 years. I almost didn't get the Sunday Ticket this year. No way I'm getting it next year. For me, maybe it's a combination of getting older (39) as well as seeing a degradation in the game but I've been feeling more and more that the thick haze of over hyping/marketing along with the changes to the game have really been putting me off to watching. The game is just too "showy" for me lately. It's starting to remind me of that "Running Man" movie kind of feel.

A couple of things on this subject.

Regularly I have a friend who references a set up game every week. He has said since week 2 that the niners were going to beat Seattle. He wanted to bet it until getting to the bookie. The spread was 49ers -2.5. He claimed this would be the set up. Niners win on the field but by 2. I joked with him about how the nfl is rigged and he said well you already knew that. I couldn't argue with him.

I have a hard time believing any business worth billions is run on the up and up. I didn't want to believe that sports were rigged. I still don't, but it is getting harder and harder to believe it isn't.

Phantom pi calls, these ridiculous roughing the passer plays (the one on Byrd today was out of control), ignoring blatant holding calls, etc... I'm not sure if people were paying attention to the halftime show but boomer esiason mentioned that the nfl needs to do something about its officiating.

I'm aware this is a long rant full of conjecture and speculation but I too am sick of it. I no longer believe in the illusion of a fair playing field.

I'll still watch but my investment in this team and league will be much less.

This era of high definition, 20 camera angles, and let's make everything "FAIR" is ruining the sport for me. There is no more magic, I am losing my obsession.

I couldn't agree more. The game much less enjoyable to watch than it used to be.

As you point out, the absurd fascination with everything being "fair" -- gee, is that what we have now?? -- has resulted in the endless replays and the associated inconsistent and tentative officiating. Now add to that the marching orders that flags should be thrown on almost every questionable call (unless it's NE or Pittsburgh or whoever) and creation of ridiculous rules around things like what constitutes a catch or OT (sudden death....oh wait....unless it's a FG!).

Just wait till they start adopting some of the other college rules, like throwing guys out of the game for making a solid hit and throwing flags on the most minor celebration or hits on ball carriers headed toward the sidelines.

The problem is the NFL used to be a football league who marketed their product to football fans. Now they see themselves as a multi-media platform that needs to be presentable to the public at large. Does anyone really think the Incognito/Martin story would have lasted longer than 30 minutes a decade or two ago?

Edited by KD in CT

For me it's been in part the bills play since the music city miracle which was a while ago it's been tough we have had our moments but it has been a long time of being irrelevant come december... Big part this year is over saturation. I think adding the Thursday game has hurt the quality of those games. Also the drama is starting too get to me from Miami to rgIII to the refs every week it something else I need to just stop paying attention to some of it.

Today was a perfect illustration for me. All of my fantasy football teams had a bye and the Bills game was over by 1:30. Without the Bills to watch I didn't watch anything else and frankly didn't miss it. That wouldn't have happened even 5 years ago. The NFL sucks right now and it's just going to get worse.

A couple of things on this subject.

Regularly I have a friend who references a set up game every week. He has said since week 2 that the niners were going to beat Seattle. He wanted to bet it until getting to the bookie. The spread was 49ers -2.5. He claimed this would be the set up. Niners win on the field but by 2. I joked with him about how the nfl is rigged and he said well you already knew that. I couldn't argue with him.

I have a hard time believing any business worth billions is run on the up and up. I didn't want to believe that sports were rigged. I still don't, but it is getting harder and harder to believe it isn't.

Phantom pi calls, these ridiculous roughing the passer plays (the one on Byrd today was out of control), ignoring blatant holding calls, etc... I'm not sure if people were paying attention to the halftime show but boomer esiason mentioned that the nfl needs to do something about its officiating.

I'm aware this is a long rant full of conjecture and speculation but I too am sick of it. I no longer believe in the illusion of a fair playing field.

I'll still watch but my investment in this team and league will be much less.

His bookie told him the 49ers would win but not cover a 2.5 point spread??

Is the blush starting to come off the rose for anyone else?

It seemed very... I don't want to say "scripted"... but very.... out of the hands of the players this week--across the league.

(I truly don't think theres some vast conspiracy to get the Patriots in the Super Bowl, or to have certain teams win, or whatever).

But the referees have SO much discretion now--to review every scoring play, to throw pass interference flags for incidental contact in the deciding moments of a game, to penalize a hit on Glennon by Byrd, but not a hit on EJ when he slid...

The high degree of control that seemingly everyone has over the game, except the men actually PLAYING the damn game.

Nothing is spontaneous in the league anymore, to the point that when you're seeing something that should be amazing, like the end of that Ravens game, for instance, it just feels forced,

and then when you see something mundane, like that Browns victory over the Patriots, it is replaced by an almost "forced" drama--that wasn't pass interference, and the Patriots touched the ball before 10 yards on the onsides kick.

This era of high definition, 20 camera angles, and let's make everything "FAIR" is ruining the sport for me. There is no more magic, I am losing my obsession.

Well said.

Rules, and control freaks, ruin everything.

The game's appeal, and magic, is being damaged by over-officiating and too many rules.

I noticed today that the rules for a "catch" are different for defensive backs and receivers. I saw two interceptions today that would not have been receptions had a receiver caught the ball. Which, when you think about it, is bull ****.

It's that sort of thing that's turned me off. Over the past ten years, the rules have developed to the point where you practically need a lawyer to understand them.

His bookie told him the 49ers would win but not cover a 2.5 point spread??

I swear you follow me around just to be an ass but no what he was saying was that even though the stats and his gut say that should have been a win by the niners he couldn't and wouldn't bet the game. Whether that is a Seahawks win or a niners win by less than 3. He routinely will pick a game where the line doesn't make sense and that is his "the fix is in" game.

Many times there are games that should be easy covers, where the team will pull out a win and not cover. The correct storylines get pushed and a lot of money is made by Vegas. It's a win/win. Think the pats* game today. How much money do you think Vegas made on that today?

I haven't fully jumped to the dark side of believing it is entirely fixed but I am certainly moving closer and closer to that idea (realization?).

the vegas over underline for the bucs game was 43.5.

the final score was 6-27...equaling 33 total points.

hold on to that for a moment, we'll come back.

Vincent jackson's TD catch that was reviewed and overturned went from a TD to a field goal...a net difference of 4 points.

CJ Spillers TD was called back on a BS holding call...a net difference of 7 points.

now if we take what we actually ended with...33 points and add 4 and 7...we get 44 points.

Both teams are out of the playoffs...is it really so far fetched that the refs helped to fix the game for the under? I am mean the game was essentially meaningless

I have been thinking a lot about this in recent weeks. The NFL just isn't fun to watch anymore. Over regulation has ruined the core of the game. I understand it's a business and the whole point behind a business is to make money. But I feel that what made football special to me in the first place is going away. Everything on and off the field is over-analyzed as well. I'm slowly becoming more of a hockey fan than a football fan.

There are simple too many judgement calls. Rules have to be black and white for officials not to mess it up.

I have absolutely watched less of the NFL since all of these new pansy rules. Its not fun anymore when 1/2 of a teams scoring drive is crap penalty yards or the only way to stop the other team is let them get crap penalty.

I would much rather see the NFL come out with some new technology where a bright light on the QBs helmet illuminates when a D player two hand touches him - and he is sacked. You can't even fart near a QB without getting a penalty these days - let it be 2 hand touch already. Of just give them flags, I would rather see that then this crap.

And don't get me started on replay or defenseless receiver. Why even review a call when they don't even get it right after the review? Why should a D player just let a WR catch a ball in the endzone without hitting him legally in the should with your shoulder (Browns/Pats)

And yes - the Refs absolutely gave that game to the Patsies the same way they gave them the Saints game and a hundred other games.

the vegas over underline for the bucs game was 43.5.

the final score was 6-27...equaling 33 total points.

hold on to that for a moment, we'll come back.

Vincent jackson's TD catch that was reviewed and overturned went from a TD to a field goal...a net difference of 4 points.

CJ Spillers TD was called back on a BS holding call...a net difference of 7 points.

now if we take what we actually ended with...33 points and add 4 and 7...we get 44 points.

Both teams are out of the playoffs...is it really so far fetched that the refs helped to fix the game for the under? I am mean the game was essentially meaningless

Ironically those where two good calls though.

Well said.

Rules, and control freaks, ruin everything.

The game's appeal, and magic, is being damaged by over-officiating and too many rules.

Just like America

Why would the refs who have their own union and aren't particularly happy with the NFL, then turn around and conspire with the same entity that tried to screw them in their contract negotiations???

Perhaps the Bills suck. Other teams have better players and therefore get the calls. And it is really hard to ref a game with the speed and athleticism on the field. These players do superhuman things every week. The ref while running sideways saw part of Antonio Brown's foot step out of bounds. Try doing that at full speed.

Where were the conspiracy guys when Darryl Talley knocked over the receiver in OT against the Oilers? No call there to give the Bills another shot at the SuperBowl.

Please grow up.

The Bills have sucked for the vast majority of their existence and that is not because of the NFL or the referees. It is because of Ralph Wilson. He is a horrible owner who's only positive trait is loyalty to the city. That loyalty may only exist because we are gullible enough to keep buying tickets while he hires the Russ Brandon's of the world.

Why would the refs who have their own union and aren't particularly happy with the NFL, then turn around and conspire with the same entity that tried to screw them in their contract negotiations???

Perhaps the Bills suck. Other teams have better players and therefore get the calls. And it is really hard to ref a game with the speed and athleticism on the field. These players do superhuman things every week. The ref while running sideways saw part of Antonio Brown's foot step out of bounds. Try doing that at full speed.

Where were the conspiracy guys when Darryl Talley knocked over the receiver in OT against the Oilers? No call there to give the Bills another shot at the SuperBowl.

Please grow up.

The Bills have sucked for the vast majority of their existence and that is not because of the NFL or the referees. It is because of Ralph Wilson. He is a horrible owner who's only positive trait is loyalty to the city. That loyalty may only exist because we are gullible enough to keep buying tickets while he hires the Russ Brandon's of the world.

This is about the officiating as a whole. Not just the Bills. There has been more and more questionable calls all around the league.