My theory on why the Bills looked so horrific today

1billsfan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlanta 34 - Bills 31

I saw a team that was so completely unfocused today that I wondered if that the OT loss to Atlanta last week crushed them. I did not recognize the Buffalo Bills today. Garnering any sort of meaningful conclusions on individual players or coaches in this game is pretty much pointless IMO. Having said that, the Jaguars game will be very telling IMO. Next week there is no longer the "not enough time to get over the season ending crushing defeat" excuse.

Sure did, ATL game was the season and they knew it and blew it.

We have a team that is not mental strong enough yet. That I blame the coaching staff for not having them ready to play.

i thought it was apparent that they are just collecting a paycheck at this point. no chance at playoffs means no reason for the players to put their bodies on the line. i don't expect much different for the rest of the season. and it wouldn't hurt to lose out on the season, get a higher draft pick. start "evaluating" the back ups.

If that's the case....piss poor coaches!!!!!

I happend to feel pretty certain the Bills were going to lose, and lose badly, before yesterdays game. All the signs were there...the Bills have done this on and off, for years...play noblely, stub their toes late in the season, and start to get trashed by other teams once the reality of the season kicks in..and then finish up a little stronger, just enough to make us think they might finally be turing it around.

I am not really sure it has everything to do with coaching. We have seen "good teams" with "good coaches" suffer from these kind of losses before too...the hangover loss. The Bills are an improving team, with a long, long way to go still. For about 9 of the 13 games this season, each game could have gone their way with a break or two along the way...they beat some decent teams this year...they were "game" more weeks than not...but last week, they had a tough loss, and the realization that they, again, are not making the playoffs (most fans knew this weeks ago, but players have a different perspective) is bound to have a ripple effect. Here is where the "culture of losing" seeps in. I am ready to give up on some of the players, perhaps, because some have been through this before, many times, and the result is the same. Lets' see how Marrone reacts before saying this is "piss poor coaching"...I think there are a handful of the "franchise players" that will not be wearing Bills uniforms next year. Not necessarily that they are bad players, but all they know is losing...so that is what they do.

i thought it was apparent that they are just collecting a paycheck at this point. no chance at playoffs means no reason for the players to put their bodies on the line. i don't expect much different for the rest of the season. and it wouldn't hurt to lose out on the season, get a higher draft pick. start "evaluating" the back ups.

I guranatee you, they will put up a great effort, maybe even win, the Dolphins game in Buffalo.

I watched my first Bills game in 1960. I have been through wonderful periods and some very horrible experiences with this franchise. But this is the first time I have ever been totally and completely perplexed by this team.

Only your first time? I've been watching the Bills off and on since the 70's, even when they were good they were streaky and Jekyll and Hyde like.

Only your first time? I've been watching the Bills off and on since the 70's, even when they were good they were streaky and Jekyll and Hyde like.

In the past, I've been able to justify a bad run, whether it was the stupidity of the owner or FO screwing things up, or incompetent coaching or players who just weren't very good. I know this will set off the haters who really don't know a thing about coaching or playing but still are sure that the coaches suck and we need to replace Stevie or Graham or Legursky or Chandler et al, but this team has the players and the coaches to have won at least 4 more games than they have. Anyone with eyes can see that. Or could earlier in the season. In every way, they looked like a team solidly in the middle of the league, not SB quality by any means, but certainly able to win 8 or 9 games while showing signs of getting better all the time. After the last few games, I cannot point to any one thing or even two or three to account for the drastic dropoff. As I said, I am perplexed.

Bills were depressed about the "home" loss to Atlanta. Then the very popular Tashard Choice was let go and the team had a crappy week of practice.

Next week will be a better indicator.

Remember even the Pats were horrible after they released Lawyer Milloy in 2003, but they bounced back in week 2 and went on to 14-2 and beat Carolina in the SB. I'm certainly not predicting that - not even for next year, but I think it takes them a week to adjust to the loss of a popular player.

These guys ONLY know how to lose and they are a veteran team.....contrary to stats that portray them as young because all of their depth and their QB's are young.

This didn't sound right so I did a quick search and the most recent report I got was from before the season began with "projected" starters. According to this list the Bills field the 5th youngest starting roster in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77416/average-age-rankings-for-projected-starters

Nonetheless you point holds. This team does have plenty of vets who have grown accustomed to losing. Hopefully it doesn't rub off on the young players.

It probably was the Falcons loss. It may have been Tashard Choice being cut.

The Bills don't have any leaders. Yes, they have gigantic strong resilient tough guys, sure. But a Ray Lewis-esque player that can motivate a team? Haven't had one of those probably since Takeo Spikes. That's why you see teams like the Ravens or the Patriots for that matter rebound after bad losses.

That's a personalilty intangible the Bills haven't had in a while in their players.

And if that's the case, young and hungry guys who want a job in the NFL will take theirs.