Pats* pull another one out of their posteriors

BRH

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The receiver ends up not catching on a very slight overthrown ball. It is clear that the DB tugs on the shoulder pad of the receiver and disrupts his path to the ball, seemingly enough in the eyes of the ref, that had the PI not occurred, the slight overthrow wouldn't have happened and the receiver would have caught the ball for a TD. This is not ticky tack but a classic PI call.

Calling that a "classic" PI call is like calling the tuck rule a "classic" forward pass. :lol:

No, we saw the same replay--you're just used to getting calls that no one else gets, particularly at that stage of a game, over and over again until it seems like second nature to you....

Yup. I almost drove off the road listening to Bill Simmons' podcast last week whining about the Panthers/Jets calls. Those calls are at worst, a wash with the Saints game and this one.

Throw in the bizzare "illegal batting" among other calls that helped turn around their game vs Miami, and zero penalties @Cincy (in a losing effort) and they're probably about a 6.5 in benefitting from calls this year on a scale from 1-10. When you're so accustomed to 8s and 9s I guess that feels like getting hosed though.

The wails and constant Lamentations of the sports loser are like music to my ears.

???? Looks like someone's had one too many Brubakers at the BHP.

Two facts:

1) NFL is becoming much less enjoyable because of the increased influence of the referee

2) The pass interference in question was the equivalent to a fly disrupting the path of a moving train

3) The Pats will be lucky to win a single game in the playoffs. Guarantee that they don't win the Super Bowl with that garbage roster.

I guess that's 3

The wails and constant Lamentations of the sports loser are like music to my ears.

Here's the actual rule from the NFL:

It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

© Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

© Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

© Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

© Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Show me where by the NFL's own rules the receiver was "significantly hindered" in catching the ball that went through his hands.

1 fact

I can count on my team playing meaningful football in December and January year in and year out.

Absolutely agree with that also. No doubt. It's just going to be another loss though. That time is nearing an end also. Pats are in stage 4 out of 5 stages, the good enough to win in the reg season but not go all the way and it's getting worse stage. They are about 6 years away from legitimately contending again.

Here is my take: The NFL's rules are so messed up and everyone knows it, but Belicheat is one of the few coaches actually coaching to win by penalties.

I guarantee you he coaches Brady to throw it over the middle into a too tight of a window so that the defense will legally hit the WR (and get an unnecessary roughness call). He tells him to throw it to covered receivers because he knows a covered receiver is one who will get a PI call. They under throw balls on purpose and all the WR has to do is look back for the ball and get 'impeded' by a DB and fall over and POOF! Pass interference!!!

He also must pay off the refs so that they never call holding on his OL.

1 fact

I can count on my team playing meaningful football in December and January year in and year out.

Fact 2

Your team cheated its way to 3 super bowls

Edited by peterpan

I was going to comment on how being a *Pats fan and coming here is kind of a dick move, then I remembered you are a *Pats fan and it would be a natural act for you.

1 fact

I could say the same in the late 80's and most of the 90's. I just wasn't a dick about it.

Your day will come.

Patriots* fan: time is undefeated. Enjoy it now, because your QB is 36. August 2014 he'll be 37. He's got maybe 3 years of good ball left (37, 38, 39).

Tick tock. How many QB's won a Super Bowl when they were 39, 40, 41?

The window is closing quickly, and hopefully your years of being in a division with QBs like Sanchez, Losman, trent, and Cleo Lemon are coming to an end. No more automatic 6 wins.

There may be some who feel equally happy, but I guarantee NOBODY will feel HAPPIER than me when New England* is pounded in the playoffs this season.

:)

In other words, I am going to get done what I have to get done. If the Bills do well and I can maintain what I am doing while listening to the Bills then good. If I find myself taking time to watch the games that only end up disappointing me then I am wasting my time. I watch in the beginning of the season when there is hope and end up missing out on some bigger tasks I could be doing.

Fair enough

Damn those lucky bastards. If only we could get that kind of luck every once in a while.

If only Bledsoe won back his job and the Pats traded Brady to us :wub: :wub: :wub: (that's not love but daydreaming)

The receiver ends up not catching on a very slight overthrown ball. It is clear that the DB tugs on the shoulder pad of the receiver and disrupts his path to the ball, seemingly enough in the eyes of the ref, that had the PI not occurred, the slight overthrow wouldn't have happened and the receiver would have caught the ball for a TD. This is not ticky tack but a classic PI call.

Then why was the ball spotted at the 1? If he had made the call you describe the spot would have been the 4.