Colts to debut South African rugby player at LB

I can't be the only one who thinks these kinds of ideas are terrible. I have no doubt that, physically, he is up to it. But onfield experience helps develop instinct and an inherent feel for the flow of play. If you don't have that feel, you're liable to get your head ripped off out there. I'm not saying that NFLers could just go play rugby either. These aren't two sports that you can seamlessly transition from one to another.

But who am I to tell an NFL GM or coach what to do with their players? Maybe this dude just gets the game.

I can't be the only one who thinks these kinds of ideas are terrible. I have no doubt that, physically, he is up to it. But onfield experience helps develop instinct and an inherent feel for the flow of play. If you don't have that feel, you're liable to get your head ripped off out there. I'm not saying that NFLers could just go play rugby either. These aren't two sports that you can seamlessly transition from one to another.

But who am I to tell an NFL GM or coach what to do with their players? Maybe this dude just gets the game.

I think if this guy is intelligent as well as having the physical attributes, be could pick up LB pretty quickly. Outside of QB, football is not that difficult to grasp, as witnessed by the relative intelligence of the average football player. 13 weeks should be plenty of time to learn the LB position. This is an interesting experiment at the very least and could open up a untapped, and I'm guessing largely unregulated, source of potential players for the teams to sign without a draft. If it works, be prepared for other teams to follow..

Edited by CodeMonkey

I can't be the only one who thinks these kinds of ideas are terrible.

Please explain how this is "terrible". I don't understand. What's wrong with giving athletes from different backgrounds and experiences the chance to play football? Was it a terrible idea for the Chargers to sign a college basketball player to play tight end? Or for track athletes to give the game a try? What's your objection?

I think training a rugby player ST first would be a heck of a lot easier than LB.

id assume 99% of his snaps this december will be ST. i doubt he gets on the field on defense outside of injuries, or highly specialized packages that allow simplified reads. (heck, the article says as much now that i finished it)

I think if this guy is intelligent as well as having the physical attributes, be could pick up LB pretty quickly. Outside of QB, football is not that difficult to grasp, as witnessed by the relative intelligence of the average football player. 13 weeks should be plenty of time to learn the LB position. This is an interesting experiment at the very least and could open up a untapped, and I'm guessing largely unregulated, source of potential players for the teams to sign without a draft. If it works, be prepared for other teams to follow..

13 weeks is almost certainly not enough time to get any real playing time in the defense, but its atleast a nice reward for his hard work and the next step in his development for the long term

Please explain how this is "terrible". I don't understand. What's wrong with giving athletes from different backgrounds and experiences the chance to play football? Was it a terrible idea for the Chargers to sign a college basketball player to play tight end? Or for track athletes to give the game a try? What's your objection?

no, but gates also had played football before and actually was planning to in college before nick saban told him he would have to give up basketball to play for him.

its a tough sport to pick up fast, and teams usually cant afford long windows to develop guys. i wont argue its bad to give them a shot, but it can be a tricky balance. good for this guy making it this far.

id have to assume the other posters knee jerk negativity to it was directed more towards the crowd that thinks any and every PF can play TE, than meant to so that no PF can play TE... atleast id hope that was the cause, otherwise he was way off base.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, maybe somebody who's followed football before. Peter King wrote a story about him and his only exposure to the game was playing the Madden video game. He didn't know what a "crash blitz", "zone blitz" "cover 3" were when he was playing the game, he said it just sounded like a good play.

If you've never played or watched a lot of football, it's an extremely hard game to pick up. Think of all the things he has to learn--- plays, formations, penalties, rules, tackling form, technique, leverage, play-action, angles, coverage zones, etc.

I'm not saying he's not capable of learning all of that, but to say that 13 weeks should be "plenty" of time to learn LB at the professional level is crazy. Not to mention, I think there's certain CBA rules about practice squad contact and hitting.

Yeah, maybe somebody who's followed football before. Peter King wrote a story about him and his only exposure to the game was playing the Madden video game. He didn't know what a "crash blitz", "zone blitz" "cover 3" were when he was playing the game, he said it just sounded like a good play.

If you've never played or watched a lot of football, it's an extremely hard game to pick up. Think of all the things he has to learn--- plays, formations, penalties, rules, tackling form, technique, leverage, play-action, angles, coverage zones, etc.

I'm not saying he's not capable of learning all of that, but to say that 13 weeks should be "plenty" of time to learn LB at the professional level is crazy. Not to mention, I think there's certain CBA rules about practice squad contact and hitting.

definitely. even if you can learn a good chunk of it on a textbook level, putting it into practice at an nfl level on the field is a whole different beast. something a lot of guys with years of playing time struggle to piece together. but like the article says, hes only playing special teams, which is much more of a "go get that guy" mentality than the complex reads at linebacker.

Given that American football is an offshoot of rugby, why not?