Marrone era myths

There were only a few times...well more than a few times that I was questioning the play calling. 3rd and 2 and they throw a fade...the first real down the field shots come from their own end zone on first and third down. Running Tashard Choice on second and 10 from inside the 15 and then throwing underneath to SJ. These are a few then the lack of pressure on D when all those in coverage kept slipping and falling down.

Ok I am just very upset and not sure what to think....the only thing I know would cure my current heart ache is a decisive plan from Ralph for this team to stay in Buffalo. Sell the damn team to someone that wants to keep them in Buffalo!!!! I can't help but feel that these games in toronto (lower case on purpose) will be permanent before the playoffs come back our way! Damn this sucks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats wrong with you guys?

Atlanta was not as bad as their record indicated, really! They lost their two star starting WR's in Julio Jones, Roddy White. They lost their starting RB Steven Jackson ans lost a bunch of games. All of these injuries occurred early in the season and screwed them out of the playoffs. They just got Roddy White and Steven Jackson back at full health.

Last week they played the 9-2 NO Saints to a very close game 17-13.

Doug Marrone & Mike Pettine are way better then any coaches this franchise has seen since Wade Phillips. The first year of their regime. Bills fans appear to have much less tolerance for losing then they did when Gailey took over and went 4-12 his first year. Man o man the excuses I recall reading for Gailey...

This^^^^^^

It's almost like people here don't actually follow football or something. This falcons team has been a 13 win team a year ago that finally just got healthy minus Jones. Not like we just played the Jags.

It's not the fact it was Atlanta, which looked to be a tough opponent when the sched. came out. It was the absolutely deplorable, mind- numbing fashion in which they lost it, what the Bills had riding on the game which ATL did not, and the other results of the day which overwhelmingly favored the Bills playoff hopes. The fact it was ATL is relatively insignificant.

Two of the big ones is that there is a change of culture going on. The other one is accountabilty and coaching a discplined team. By far one of the most un-discplined Bills team in the last two decades of futility.

I really don't see the change. I see Marrone getting less out of a more talanted Bills team than we have had since the days when Wade Phillips coached this team.

This is not a smart football team. Too many penalties and they just don't do the little things that smart players and teams do. Still can't believe Stevie didn't cover the ball up better after catching it and getting into FG range

The play calling on offense is beyond bad. How many low percentage bombs on third down is Hackett going to call before realizing EJ can't complete them?

How many 3 and outs does this team have this year and how many of them were run run pass?

Doug Maronne was a loser at Syracuse, and he's a loser at Buffalo. He's here solely because, like all the rest, he's a puppet for Ralph.

Totally agree.

And to the guy who thinks that there's no such thing as a culture of losing: you are so very wrong that it's laughable. Psychology.....mental effort/concentration rather than physical skills.....matters greatly in sports. If it didn't, there would be handfuls of pro golfers with similar accomplishments to those of Tiger Woods. In individual sports, obviously, it's easier to see, but it is also a factor in team sports.

I don't know about Marrone yet, but this loss is not on him. We get a bogus PI call in the end zone, and 2 fumbles--1 of which happens the play before we are going to kick the GW FG. That's the game.

I agree with that. I was not a big fan of the hire, Marrone has grown on me as he's gone along... I'm not ready to annoint him the chosen one or trash him as a failure at this stage (and find it laughable frankly that anyone is) but whatever your view is - that wasn't really on him yesterday. The only thing that I question (and it's more Hackett than Marrone) why when we started those last couple of drives with a lead inside our own 20 when we needed to milk the clock was it CJ in the backfield and not Freddie? CJ is always looking for the home run and bouncing things outside and lost yardage. That was one situation where I think you give it Freddie twice say "bang through the tackles, see what you can pick up" and then you try and give yourself a really manageable third down. Instead CJ tries to bounce one outside and loses yards.

It's a pretty big fundamental to cover the ball up in a situation like that. So, either SJ doesn't listen to coaches when they teach those things... or the coaches haven't been teaching those things. Either way, it doesn't look good for the coaches.

Why would you need to be coached or told to hold on and protect the ball? I've never played pro sports but I know to do that.

Whats wrong with you guys?

Atlanta was not as bad as their record indicated, really! They lost their two star starting WR's in Julio Jones, Roddy White. They lost their starting RB Steven Jackson ans lost a bunch of games. All of these injuries occurred early in the season and screwed them out of the playoffs. They just got Roddy White and Steven Jackson back at full health.

Last week they played the 9-2 NO Saints to a very close game 17-13.

Doug Marrone & Mike Pettine are way better then any coaches this franchise has seen since Wade Phillips. The first year of their regime. Bills fans appear to have much less tolerance for losing then they did when Gailey took over and went 4-12 his first year. Man o man the excuses I recall reading for Gailey...

dont make rational points in and argument here. After a loss there is no room for it. We'd rather just burn the team to the ground and start over.

In reality, the fan base if this team is also a losing culture. We are addicted to the draft. Unfortunately, after years of losing and being the only thing we have going for us, it makes sense. But we as fans don't help with the culture. If anyone thinks the players and coaches don't notice how us fans reach to their losing, they are naive.

Marrone seems like a good guy. I'd have a beer with him. I'd rather have a beer with him watching a Bills game with someone else coaching though.

Make no mistake. It was not coaching that lost that game yesterday. Blaming Marrone is just ignorant of the facts. He didn't drop those two passes. If either one of those guys don't fumble, Buffalo wins the game. And don't even mention the officiating. It was horrible again all day long. These are not excuses, they are facts. Marrone is a good coach, who eventually will build a winner, but guys like Stevie Johnson and Chandler have got to go. This is not the first time either of them has made plays like this. Hold them accountable and get rid of them both.

I'm one of the few that has been consistent all year that hasn't "bought in".

I'm with you. Have you tried lol. Makes you even more frustrated to try to like someone you really don't because the masses do.

Reminds me a lot of the Dick Jauron era to be honest but Marrone has a lot more talent than what Dick Jauron worked with. It gives me alot more appreciation for Chan Gailey. Gailey inherted Jaurons mess and made improvements. I don't see improvement from what Gailey built.

Its a definite regression from Gailey. He was an innovative offensive mind. Had Fitz looking decent and Spiller was insane. Had we been able to convince Gailey to stay on in some capacity to help teach Hackett. And have Pettine as the DC. We would be a team on the verge of something.

This NFL franchise should stay to hell outta Canada! Send Brady and the Pats up there. How many times did runners slip on the turf? Those fans cheer for everything that happens, negating any kind of home field advantage. I am just frustrated with the whole damn thing.

I am willing to give Brandon the benefit of the doubt and say I'm sure he thought many Bills would travel to Toronto and the atmosphere there would be similar to the Ralph.

But by this point it is pretty obvious that is not the case and the last extension and any future extensions are nothing more than a money grab.

Ok I have said this for at least 15 years so lets try again... AS LONG AS RALPH WILSON OWNS THIS TEAM NOTHING CHANGES. Did all caps help? You guys crack me up each year all full of hope and you miss the fact we are ran by the worst owner in NFL history. He didn't make the HOF for his ownership abilities folks.

He needs to move on, new owner in place that cleans house from russ brandon all they way down to the last person in the office AND at least half of this roster including all the QB's. When we do that THEN we at least have a shot of righting this ship.

This^^^^^^

It's almost like people here don't actually follow football or something. This falcons team has been a 13 win team a year ago that finally just got healthy minus Jones. Not like we just played the Jags.

Who are you taking in the Jags-Bills game? Or Bills-Bucs?

Two of the big ones is that there is a change of culture going on. The other one is accountabilty and coaching a discplined team. By far one of the most un-discplined Bills team in the last two decades of futility.

I really don't see the change. I see Marrone getting less out of a more talanted Bills team than we have had since the days when Wade Phillips coached this team.

I think the quarterback play has been very limiting. They are afraid to let Manuel throw more because they don't want to happen to him what is happening to Geno Smith in NY. But otherwise, yes this is a talented team and they didn't have a particularly tough schedule.

I totally agree about the lack of culture change and the lack of accountability and discipline.

Anyone who says they see any difference is kidding themselves.

We saw firsthand for over a decade how other teams....like the current Bills......would just rollover in close games and get themselves beat by the Bills. The Bills knew how to conduct themselves in pressure situations during the regular season because they were used to the pressure.

Exhiibit A of the current Bills problems. A team with a winning culture knows that at the end of the game a desperate opponent will make a greater effort to dislodge a football. The first reaction from a veteran like Stevie or Chandler in that situation should be to get that football high and tight so that it can't be knocked loose. But being losers.......they don't raise their game in the clutch. These are just things that good players on good teams do not let happen to them over and over but they happen over and over to this team.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

The fact of the matter is that a tremendous amount of change has occurred over the past 11 months. Some good and some bad. All of which are in constant flux when you look at things annually. The one thing that I have noticed is that unlike the previous decade, this team is healthy in December after a season of running a full-time no-huddle, a blitzing defense, and ran a ton of plays through 3 rookie QB and 2 beat up running backs. The second thing is that the Bills are 2-2 in the division with a legitimate shot at being 4-2 in the division. Even 3-3 in the division this year means quite a bit to me. A win against New England under any set of circumstances would make my off-season so much better.

I have to say that to this point I am not that impressed with Marrone. The reasons have been stated in this thread: undisciplined team with lots of penalties, poor game management (challenges, clock management) and an underachieving team.

Its a definite regression from Gailey. He was an innovative offensive mind. Had Fitz looking decent and Spiller was insane. Had we been able to convince Gailey to stay on in some capacity to help teach Hackett. And have Pettine as the DC. We would be a team on the verge of something.

Gailey was a strong OC but he lacked what it took to be a good head coach. He didn't give a rats ass about defense and it showed on the field, plus the team quit on him multiple times last season which doesn't speak well for him. Gailey as OC, Pettine as DC would be strong but I still don't know who the HC would be. The Bills haven't had a good HC since Marv, IMO.

Edited by vincec