Grading the new front office thus far

We live in a now-now-now, instant gratification society and trying to see this team as whole in its development in that light is a poor way of evaluating long-term success, which is what a front office needs to be analyzed for, not just this season. I understand the desire to see results RIGHT-F'IN-NOW because of our decade plus years in ineptability and failure to produce a quality and competitive team...that said, you cannot hold the sins of the former regime to the discredit of this one...to sum it up, I like what the FO has done thus far, but it is far too early to give it a "grade" as just like grades, you are evaluated on your body of work, and the season isn't even over yet therefore, it would be like asking a 2nd grader to jump to 3rd grade or repeat the year after only the third marking period, when grades change and the analysis of the entire year needs to be done. Let's wait before we start with the coup de'tat regarding Nix/Whaley/Marrone...if in two years it's still this bad despite increasing talent level, then Marrone needs to go..if talent is not added or the players brought in demonstrate their inability to play at the NFL level, then Whaley needs to be given an ultimatum as well...it's too soon for either though...IMO

^^this

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense is why the Bills have been competitive in nearly every game.

No, they're not perfect. They struggled last week. But, it's clear that Pettine has been a great hire, and unfortunately will be snatched away soon unless the Bills are proactive.

We all know a good D coach doesn't always make a good head coach. Now out from Rex's shadow for a year, Jets D stayed good meaning he wasn't the only key there....

Bills D is vastly improved but should it not be even better. Look at the talent on this defense....

I understand draft status can be a poor assessment after the fact, but consider the amount of draft day potential represented on the defensive roster:

MW 1

MD 3

SG 10

LM 11

ML 22

JH 31

AB 33 (2)

AW 34 (2)

JB 42 (2)

KA 46 (2)

I couldn't really believe the talent on this D when I sat and thought of it. All the later picks Moats, Searcey, Robey, and Bradham are contributors but as depth... And Kyle the only lock starter when healthy from this group of non 1 or 2 rounders is a probowler.

Typical...even though you know what I meant, I'll clarify just in case you aren't playing dumb...

Where were you when the team was still in the playoff race, prior to Sunday's loss?

Where were you when the team was 0.500 at the quarter-post, having just beaten the Superbowl champs?

Don't worry, I don't expect anything but snark...

I thought it clever!

Before that, I did a 3 month stretch for using a word fragment as a suffix in describing a group of posters.

The defense is why the Bills have been competitive in nearly every game.

No, they're not perfect. They struggled last week. But, it's clear that Pettine has been a great hire, and unfortunately will be snatched away soon unless the Bills are proactive.

Like I said, he's better than his predecessors, but the improvements are not as vast as some make them out to be. I'll give them another year in the same system to show continued improvement, but they still continue to surrender far too many yards both on the ground and in the air. They've struggled considerably more than just last week.

I have been watching the Bills for quite some time now, and I have to finally say they are moving in the right direction. Russ Brandon is a joke and has no business running this team, let me just put that out there. If he just stays in the office to figure out how to make this team money that is where he should stay, he also has to use that money to sign players who deserve it to keep this team competitive (like keep our own players i.e. Byrd give him some money). I am disappointed with the 4-8 record but I keep saying to myself it is a growing year. Whaley did reach for EJ who probably isn't a first round QB, but I think he has a great upside and will pay off in about 2 years. I really think he was on track when he got hurt in the Browns game. I really think if he were to stay in we would have won that game along with the KC game (which we dominated) and it would be a different conversation right now. KIKO was a great pick and the kind of player we need a MLB, a big improvement over Sheppard, plus that trade Whaley pulled off for Hughes was great. I wish they would have run the ball more and thrown less, yes; I also think EJ needs to work on the deep ball big time. His sideline throws always end up out of bounds and uncatchable, he needs to learn to put the ball in a place where the guys can make a play on the football. I also think EJ looks way more comfortable when he in under center instead of in the shotgun. I think the biggest thing that Whaley did and it was a mistake, was not getting a veteran backup QB, and i think he is kicking himself in the butt for that. I do like Marrone and I think he will be a great coach some day. When you have a rookie QB you have to expect to lose some close games and for mistakes to happen (last year was an exception, look at the rookie QB's from last year the only one that has stayed consistent is Wilson and that is only because they have a run game and a defense/which we should have had). I told the guys at work and I still stand by my word, the Bills will be in the SuperBowl after the 2016 season so give it another 3 years and lets keep improving.

My grade on Brandon changed today when I read that he's considering getting rid of the Toronto games.

I don't know what to make of Whaley, but I do like this year's draft. Duh. And the other offseason moves have been strong.

I am starting to buy into Marrone. He was right about our defense having the ability to stop anybody, but lacking the consistency to do so. We can plug the run, then give up huge gains because we are out of position. They'll improve.

They've got to wrap up deals with people like Byrd and Spiller. Keep the best players here. I do think it was wise to let Levitre walk with that contract he signed in Tennessee. Not worth that dough.

I'd probably try to move Stevie.

They could be .500 right now. They've booted at least 2 games (ATL and KC), and had they won those games, we would be a .500 team. The schedule was brutal this year, and they've been in most games.

I'm optimistic.

Brandon (C-) - A marketing guy in control of all football operations in the NFL. Only in Buffalo. Hired Marrone. Brough in an analytics department. We really don't know how this will bare out. I'm not sold on Marrone and the analtyics department we have yet to see what this is all about.

Surely the hiring of Marrone was due to the GMs influence? Am I wrong on this?

......and as one can't really assess the success/failure of the Marrone hire at this point in time, doesn't it become mute at this point in regards to grading Brandon.

Essentially you have given Brandon a C- based upon the concept that he has brought in an analytics department & that you don't like his pedigree.

I would think it impossible to give Brandon any sort of grade at this point in time.

Edited by Dibs

Marrone definitely grades out to an F. He's lost out there, I bet he misses preparing for Rutgers and Temple. You get what you pay for in the NFL. Look what Kelly has done for the Eagles, he is an innovative coach. Marrone was said to be this no bs tough guy, that may work in the lower level college football, but not in the NFL.

Let's see in three years who's the better coach. My money is not on Kelly

I agree with this, I in terms of grade c+ , I do not see this team as the same old Bills, I see a group given the rest of division , it not unrealistic to expect a playoff team next season. Many of the loses have been tough , maddening , this season, but my expectations were not of a winner this year. I am pleased with management this year, but expect much more of them this off season.

My grade is not a letter.

It is simply to say that they get the same grade as Jauron and Gailey did in their first seasons.

Millbank's explanation is perfect to exemplify this.

In Jauron's first year......people were glad that the Bills were no longer beating themselves with penalties, appreciated Fairchild nursing modest production and no turnovers from a very young QB and were encouraged by an opportunistic defense.

Definitely not the same as the sloppy, rudderless Mularkey Bills.

Gailey came in to MUCH scrutiny, but after a slow start he had fans excited by how he was making chicken salad on offense out of a Ryan Fitzpatrick and a cast of offensive nobodies.

Definitely not the same old boring, play-not-to-lose Jauron Bills.

The bottom line is that nothing changed because all that really matters is winning.

I'm not giving up on Marrone.........he isn't a PROVEN LOSER like Jauron or Gailey were. But to this point he has performed no better........and I think a strong case can be made that he has done less with more than both of them had. Example: He played it conservative on offense like Jauron.......but then let rookie QB's audible and make game changing bad plays....like in the KC and Pittsburgh games. Basically the equivalent of playing not to lose for 95% of the game and then deciding to throw cauton to the wind at the goal line. There is an element of randomness with Marrone that is reminiscent of Mularkey......but of course Mularkey won a lot more as a rookie.

And regarding Nix/Whaley......they hit on a bunch of offseason additions.......but they were FAR too passive. Brandon? He hired Marrone and there appeared to be some cronyism involved, but his position is much harder to grade at this point.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

My grade on Brandon changed today when I read that he's considering getting rid of the Toronto games.

I don't know what to make of Whaley, but I do like this year's draft. Duh. And the other offseason moves have been strong.

I am starting to buy into Marrone. He was right about our defense having the ability to stop anybody, but lacking the consistency to do so. We can plug the run, then give up huge gains because we are out of position. They'll improve.

They've got to wrap up deals with people like Byrd and Spiller. Keep the best players here. I do think it was wise to let Levitre walk with that contract he signed in Tennessee. Not worth that dough.

I'd probably try to move Stevie.

They could be .500 right now. They've booted at least 2 games (ATL and KC), and had they won those games, we would be a .500 team. The schedule was brutal this year, and they've been in most games.

I'm optimistic.

The fanbase is altogether too easily placated by management publicly admitting their mistakes. Stevie Johnson should pick up on that and admit that his failings in the clutch are bringing further "tarnish to the brand"....as Russ would say......and he would gain a whole lot more support with a fanbase that is desperate for things to cheer for.

It is a results business though. The stock price of lipservice should be bottomed out after 14 years of excuses and apologies followed by empty promises.

we were down to a 4th string qb for stretches this year. to be 4-8 might qualify as an accomplishment.

this year wasnt a success but they havent earned an F

Dick Jauron would likely have a better record with this team.

The way the Bills are playing offense is the way Jauron believed in playing offense. Marrone and Hackett want to bang the ball up the middle all day to set up play-action.........but they don't want to use the approach to shorten the game and take the strain off of their less than stout but big play oriented defense. And they allowed their young QB's to make decisions at key times that have also undermined their run-first approach.

I think it is obvious that Hackett wants to play a fast paced offense in the future and in that regard, Manuel and the reserves have gained experience running no-huddle that may prove critical next year. And maybe the bad decisions....like EJ audibling to a fade at the goal line in Pittsburgh(and throwing an embarrassingly bad pass) are things that can be built upon. I just don't think that was worth another lost season. And it is debatable whether not throwing the ball is helping EJ as a passer. He looked pretty lousy throwing the ball for all but the last series of regulation and OT.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

we were down to a 4th string qb for stretches this year. to be 4-8 might qualify as an accomplishment.

Not sure if anyone caught the stat they flashed during the Texans / Jags game tonight.

The 12 teams that are currently qualified for the playoffs have used one QB each. The other teams have used 48 QBs. Might not be exactly right (I was in a bar a just caught it flash on), but pretty close.

Seems a little telling to me...

BTW, my grade is "excited for the future".

Not sure if anyone caught the stat they flashed during the Texans / Jags game tonight.

The 12 teams that are currently qualified for the playoffs have used one QB each. The other teams have used 48 QBs. Might not be exactly right (I was in a bar a just caught it flash on), but pretty close.

Seems a little telling to me...

BTW, my grade is "excited for the future".

You can watch the NFL for a decade and never see a great QB run into a hit like Thad Lewis did to start that New Orleans game. Good QB's aren't immune to injury but they are less likely to take the hits that cause injury. EJ rightfully gets a pass because he is a rookie but I think both of his knee injuries were the direct result of hits he took making decisions that good QB's don't make. So I think the injury excuse you appear to be making for the losing is directly related to the choice to draft, acquire and play the QB's they chose not something beyond their control.

You can watch the NFL for a decade and never see a great QB run into a hit like Thad Lewis did to start that New Orleans game. Good QB's aren't immune to injury but they are less likely to take the hits that cause injury. EJ rightfully gets a pass because he is a rookie but I think both of his knee injuries were the direct result of hits he took making decisions that good QB's don't make. So I think the injury excuse you appear to be making for the losing is directly related to the choice to draft, acquire and play the QB's they chose not something beyond their control.

The second one was absolutely a case of the bold; the first not so much...more like just hanging in the pocket to make a throw.

As a long time fan I have to say that there is a definite improvement in the talent on the team. The problem is they have not learned to make the plays at the crucial moments of a ballgame. Examples The Atlanta game and Kansas City game. Once they learn to this team will take off like a rocket.

its tough. ive been on the fence here as i was one of the earliest vocal critics of releasing jackson this spring before showing wed make it through camp healthy.

but once that happened - how they handled the injuries i think was about as good as you can hope for. no team has a real shot when #1 and #2 qbs go down within a couple weeks of each other. getting thad, was a success for the front office even if it was fixing a mistake they previously made.

Edited by NoSaint

Your argument that the team knew what they were getting into with certain QB's is valid. If Vick (or any running QB for they matter) is your QB, you know you are probably going to have to deal with injuries at some point. There are exceptions like Rodgers, Cutler and Bradford. But it looks like you mistakenly interpreted the statistic given as an excuse. I believe the poster was just pointing out that no matter how good a team appears to be, if the starting QB goes down, that team is screwed. It's not an excuse, it is just a telling statistic.