Grading the new front office thus far

its tough. ive been on the fence here as i was one of the earliest vocal critics of releasing jackson this spring before showing wed make it through camp healthy.

but once that happened - how they handled the injuries i think was about as good as you can hope for. no team has a real shot when #1 and #2 qbs go down within a couple weeks of each other. getting thad, was a success for the front office even if it was fixing a mistake they previously made.

I agree on the point that the Bills did the best that they could of a bad situation after both Kolb and Manuel were injured. Some argue that they should have had a "vet", but I haven't seen anyone identify a viable option that was available at the time.

Regarding the point that good QBs don't make decisions that get them injured, I strongly disagree. I think fans in Green Bay would argue that Aaron Rodgers is pretty good, yet he is hurt.. Didn't RG3 get hurt running last year? Drew Bree's had a torn rotator cuff which hastened his exit from SD.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An owner who is most likely living out his final days in an iron lung like Rose Kennedy, a front office without any real power, coaching staff hired on the cheap, and the spector of the franchise moving out of town when the owner passes on... And you want to give this mess a grade? :doh:

Edited by MyHorseAteTheKid

The second one was absolutely a case of the bold; the first not so much...more like just hanging in the pocket to make a throw.

The Bills didn't want to acknowledge the actual play, but he was hurt on a sack in the Lions game where he attempted to drag his way out of a sack and ended up getting bent awkwardly. In college a QB with 4.6 speed has a small chance to make a play with his feet in that situation. But for that guy in the NFL there was nothing there to be had. A good veteran QB just takes that meaningless preseason sack and doesn't end up on the shelf.

Your argument that the team knew what they were getting into with certain QB's is valid. If Vick (or any running QB for they matter) is your QB, you know you are probably going to have to deal with injuries at some point. There are exceptions like Rodgers, Cutler and Bradford. But it looks like you mistakenly interpreted the statistic given as an excuse. I believe the poster was just pointing out that no matter how good a team appears to be, if the starting QB goes down, that team is screwed. It's not an excuse, it is just a telling statistic.

Why do you think I MISTAKENLY interpreted it as an excuse?

Reads like an excuse to me.

Anytime you choose Kevin Kolb to be your starter or primary backup you deserve what you get. If you just used that statistic as a basis, you could have predicted how the Bills season would go the day they signed Kolb. The Bills had some good moves in the offseason but that was one of the most senseless acquisitions in franchise history. It's not about the wasted money.......he was just the opposite of what the franchise needed. His presence alone adversely affected this season and he never even made it to opening day.

The Bills didn't want to acknowledge the actual play, but he was hurt on a sack in the Lions game where he attempted to drag his way out of a sack and ended up getting bent awkwardly. In college a QB with 4.6 speed has a small chance to make a play with his feet in that situation. But for that guy in the NFL there was nothing there to be had. A good veteran QB just takes that meaningless preseason sack and doesn't end up on the shelf.

He didn't play against the Lions...the first knee injury came on a hit (I think it was a sack) against Minnesota. I remember him grabbing his knee and limping off after the play.

As for avoidable, veteran QBs get hurt in the preseason too--ask Trent Green. He got hurt because it was an awkward hit like you said, not because he tries to make too much out of a play.

I do agree that the 2nd one was avoidable though

Edited by thebandit27

Good point. It was Minnesota, though

And even with the Browns' injury, I don't know what EJ was trying to do. He wasn't trying to stay inbounds or get past the tackler, he took that hit for like no reason.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

The only grade you can give this regime is "Incomplete" until next season at the halfway mark. However, I can give "Interim" grades and mine are:

Brandon: A-

Nix/Whaley: A

Marrone: B

Here are a few of the reasons for those grades (Keep in mind, these are INTERIM):

Brandon gets his based on what he's done since getting rid of Levy. Among other items, that includes bringing Nix in to rebuild the scouting department, bringing Whaley in as GM in waiting, hiring Marrone, keeping the business end humming (those ticket sales and regional outreach are vital to keeping the Bills in WNY).

Nix/Whaley: Scouting department improvements, pretty good and improving drafts, good in-season pickups, good free agent signings, analytics department (how well that works out will be determined as time goes by), solid contract negotiations (controversial, I know, especially with the Byrd and Levitre situations), Marrone hire.

Marrone: Good to very good assistants, brought and maintains a palpable sense of positivity and hope, honest and open "obviously," has kept the team playing hard in spite of heart-breaking losses, even in losing, his team doesn't appear lost or uncompetitive or going through the motions (that is huge to me). Could easily have 4-6 more wins with a break here or there.

He didn't play against the Lions...the first knee injury came on a hit (I think it was a sack) against Minnesota. I remember him grabbing his knee and limping off after the play.

As for avoidable, veteran QBs get hurt in the preseason too--ask Trent Green. He got hurt because it was an awkward hit like you said, not because he tries to make too much out of a play.

I do agree that the 2nd one was avoidable though

Correct, the play was against Minnesota.

I think you are a victim of Dick Vermeils tears. Trent Green was a young sack-magnet of a QB...not a good, proven vet.....at that point in his career. Shouldn't nearly have been the surprise it was made out to be.

Why do you think I MISTAKENLY interpreted it as an excuse?

Reads like an excuse to me.

Anytime you choose Kevin Kolb to be your starter or primary backup you deserve what you get. If you just used that statistic as a basis, you could have predicted how the Bills season would go the day they signed Kolb. The Bills had some good moves in the offseason but that was one of the most senseless acquisitions in franchise history. It's not about the wasted money.......he was just the opposite of what the franchise needed. His presence alone adversely affected this season and he never even made it to opening day.

Based on this response I can only think you are confused about my previous comment and the stat which he provided. Where in the post that I was referencing did the poster reference Kevin Kolb or even the Bills?? All he pointed out was that all of the playoff teams have had their starting QB'S all year. The rest for the most part haven't. Take the Bills angle out of the equation and it's still a telling statistic. I guess some people would call it an "excuse", and you are obviously one of them.

Question. If you got into an accident because your car hit a patch of black ice, is it a reason or an excuse?

To your point about Kolb being one of the worst acquisitions in franchise history, what should they have done instead? Alex Smith was not coming here. Nix was dead set on drafting a franchise QB as well. What good QB was going to come here knowing that he was just going to be a stop gap until the rookie was ready?

By the way, I didn't like the Kolb signing either but I still don't know who else would have been better so I can't put it in the worst moves ever category.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall