Real Buffalos at The Ralph

oman128

Probably won't happen.

a) buffalo dislike loud noises and with it being around 70,000 plus people high fiving, puking and falling out of the upper decks--it may not be feasible.

b) like moose, buffalo are spooked easy and are somewhat blind and could charge

c) a drunk fan will hop the enclosure and get trampled

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a zookeeper in Rochester. It would really have to be a female buffalo, as male hoofstock that is hand-raised tend to be a bit more dangerous. That being said, it wouldn't be too hard to find the right animal and raise it up to be ok with that type of crowd.

Coincidentally my neighbor has 7 or 8 bison in his backyard (10 acres). I hear every now and then they jump over his 6 foot fence. which is hard to imagine given how big they are. Animal control must love that phone call.

I am a zookeeper in Rochester. It would really have to be a female buffalo, as male hoofstock that is hand-raised tend to be a bit more dangerous. That being said, it wouldn't be too hard to find the right animal and raise it up to be ok with that type of crowd.

or a steer

Probably won't happen.

a) buffalo dislike loud noises and with it being around 70,000 plus people high fiving, puking and falling out of the upper decks--it may not be feasible.

it would only be fair :devil:

Who is going to clean the buffalo crap off the field turf?

The guy who fell on the other guy last week.

Instead of banning him, and other drunks, they could pay their dues by cleaning up buffalo dung the following season.

Episode 2 for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

Zoo Keeper, you are officially on the advisory board.

there are plenty of college teams that have real live mascots like LSU and Tiger Mike, Ralphie in Colorado, but I don't recall any professional teams who have a live animal mascot.

I still think it would be as cool as hell to have the Buffalo there.

Maybe I am the only ignorant one. What was the city of Buffalo named for?

Possibly (one of the theories that I've heard) it is a slurring of the words "Beautiful Water" in French ... Beau Eau. Others have a Native American explanation that I cannot recall.

Great idea.

UT brings it's steer named Bevo.

University of Colorado brings their buffalo.

This month's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel had a story on Bevo, Ralphie and other live mascots. The PETA spokewoman made a fool out of herself being against all them.

Last summer I was in Buffalo and I took my 8 year old son to the Buffalo Zoo after we parked the car the first thing we saw were the majestic Bison standing along the back side of Delaware Park in their enclosure.

I've often thought that those bison should be brought to the Bills games on Sundays to greet the fans and see them up close.

Yes I realize there would need to be some special safety approved enclosure for the Bison to be viewed and that transportion of these bohemoth creatures does present a little bit of a problem.

I guess my first call would be to the University of Colorado and ask them how they transport Ralphie the Buffalo.

Whenever the Bills are on the nationally televised game the b-roll is shots of Niagara Falls, how bout 2 bison breathing heavily,snorting in the cold Buffalo frozen tundra.

Great idea!

At least for a topic.

Ralphie is cheap.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Crap on the field? Are you talking about the football team or what comes out of the bison's anus?

Please this is a family board. Especially in this thread I think it would be appropriate to use the euphemism angus.

...and, and, and.... then have a guy with a mustache and goatee wearing a cow suede jacket with fringe down the sleeves slaughter them from a train car. Right?

Yep. Fifty caliber Sharps rifle.

Probably won't happen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Possibly (one of the theories that I've heard) it is a slurring of the words "Beautiful Water" in French ... Beau Eau.

Actually that theory is Beau Fleuve. Beautiful river.

Maybe I am the only ignorant one. What was the city of Buffalo named for?

Typicaly it's based on a landmark or the founders name

In 1798, The Holland Land Company hired Theophile Cazenove of Philadelphia as its agent in the newly established hub for the area in nearby Batavia, NY. Cazenove then hired Joseph Ellicott to survey the area and establish a village next to Buffalo Creek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York#Name_origin

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Buffalo,_New_York

The City of Buffalo, formerly known as Buffalo Creek, received its name from the creek that flows through it. However, the origin of the creek's name is unclear, with several unproven theories existing. Early French explorers reported the abundance of buffalo on the south shore of Lake Erie, but their presence on the banks of Buffalo Creek is still a matter of debate.

Neither the Native American name Tehoseroron (the Place of the Basswoods) or the French name Riviere aux Chevaux (River of Horses) survived, so the current name likely dates to the British occupation which began with the capture of Fort Niagara in 1759.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever