Bills Sign OL JJ Unga to the 53 Man Roster

26CornerBlitz

@ChrisBrownBills

#Bills sign OT J.J. Unga off Ravens prac. squad. Full story. http://ow.ly/r0D1q

A day after creating an opening on their 53-man roster, Buffalo quickly filled the vacancy signing OT J.J. Unga off of the Baltimore Ravens practice squad.

Unga (6’5” 320) signed with the Ravens as an undrafted college free agent this past May. He was released during final cuts, but was promptly signed to Baltimore’s practice squad where he has spent the entire 2013 season.

The offensive tackle played his college ball at Division II Midwestern State, where he appeared in 20 games making 10 starts. He lined up at both right and left tackle in his college career.

Unga earned first-team All-Lone Star Conference honors as a senior in 2012. He will wear No. 64.

Bills sign OT J.J. Unga, moving him to guard

Marrone also discussed the reasoning behind bringing in the offensive lineman.

"I think what we like to do is build a bigger team," he said. "My philosophy has always been that this is a big man's game. I think that when we have the opportunity to better ourselves, we have to go ahead and do that no matter what time of year it is. I think players know that and coaches know that, and that's what we're trying to do."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisBrownBills

#Bills sign OT J.J. Unga off Ravens prac. squad. Full story. http://ow.ly/r0D1q

A day after creating an opening on their 53-man roster, Buffalo quickly filled the vacancy signing OT J.J. Unga off of the Baltimore Ravens practice squad.

Unga (6’5” 320) signed with the Ravens as an undrafted college free agent this past May. He was released during final cuts, but was promptly signed to Baltimore’s practice squad where he has spent the entire 2013 season.

The offensive tackle played his college ball at Division II Midwestern State, where he appeared in 20 games making 10 starts. He lined up at both right and left tackle in his college career.

Unga earned first-team All-Lone Star Conference honors as a senior in 2012. He will wear No. 64.

Lost in the apologist argument about whether Colin Brown/Legursky and save $8M is better than Andy Levitre is the fact that they Bills have no depth on their OL. To me, Brown and Legursky were depth players, not starters. If you would have told me that Erik Pears would start the first 11 games without injury I would have bet against that. I won't say that about Wood because now is about the time when he usually blows a tire, but Cordy Glenn has been healthy this year as well, so basically not having a reserve OT has not hurt them to this point.

We pluck a guy off of a practice squad and that prompts you to think we're looking for a long term RT?

Why not? He's a 6-5 320 pound tackle plucked off a practice squad late in the season. They are giving him a look see and "leaving no stone unturned"

Plus Pears is over 30 now and Hairston has a serious injury. Maybe they are looking already and being a forward thinking aggressive organization.

Why not? He's a 6-5 320 pound tackle plucked off a practice squad late in the season. They are giving him a look see and "leaving no stone unturned"

Plus Pears is over 30 now and Hairston has a serious injury. Maybe they are looking already and being a forward thinking aggressive organization.

I agree, as they are in the throes of evaluating the college guys for the draft and decided what needs to address and when. Very important to see if they can get a guy off of a PS that is a need. Not to say they won't draft a OT, but how high do they need to go on it when they also need a G, TE, LB, etc.... Edited by YoloInTheBlo

i think people might have jumped from "looking for a RT" to "planning on him being RT"

clearly they are looking to add talent, and thats a potential hole... so ill say sure they are looking, even if i dont think they are banking on it

I find it strange that a guy who could only start half of his games in college(10), at the D2 level, can make it to the NFL at all.

Impressive, but weird.

Judging by that alone (D2 player) I would imagine he would be playing inside at G.

what i gather is he started 2 years juco, transfered and was behind a solid prospect on that line as a junior but played regularly (backing up a second round pick, all american) and then took over the starting job.

not sure why he wouldnt be starting somewhere else on the line as a junior, or why he wouldnt have had offers to a school with a chance to start sooner.

With his high salary, and production-to-date, Pears looks like a goner next year, and Welch looked poor in pre-season. The Bills need to find at least two backup tackles for next year, and, depending upon Hairston's recovery prognosis, maybe a starter as well.

Legursky has to be replaced in the starting line-up, if not altogether bumped from the team, opening up one-to-two more spots that need to be filled.

With three-to-five spots to fill, the Bills have to keep churning the backup slots with the likes of Unga, McClain, and Asper, or they'll be spending the entire draft on one area of the team.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-bills-sign-tackle-jj-unga-off-ravens-practice-squad-20131120,0,353633.story?track=rss

"Run-game coordinator Juan Castillo had spent a considerable amount of time working with Unga to develop his technique, and the team was pleased with his progress."

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/roster/J.J.-Unga/47403510-7f7c-43d2-b2f4-838ad1a2011e

"Unga was a member of one of the best O-lines in school history, with three players garnering first-team All-Conference honors, one gaining second-team accolades and one named honorable mention...Blocked for an O-line that led NCAA Division II by allowing just 4 sacks in 11 games...

Mustangs boasted the No.3-ranked rushing attack in the nation (323.9 ypg), the 16th-best scoring offense (38.6 ppg) and the 21st-ranked total offense (459.0 ypg) in all of Division II...Helped pave the way for RB Keidrick Jackson, who led the Lone Star Conference with 1,354 rushing yards and 21 TDs..."

And why he only played 20 games:

"Played in 11 games (one start) at LT as a junior in 2011 behind consensus All-American and 2012 NFL second-round draft pick (Carolina) Amini Silatolu..."