Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

At the risk of jumping the proverbial gun, perhaps this thread may be pinned until either the Bills clinch a spot or are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention?

Following week 11 action (one game pending) the Bills (4-7) sit at 14th in the AFC, yet are only 1.5 games behind the final Wild Card leaders at 5-5 (NYJ, MIA).

Teams #8-13 (OAK, TEN, PIT, BAL, SD, CLE) have identical 4-6 records.

Next week there are some big games that will shake things up a bit, while the Bills sit home and get healthy:

SD @ KC (Go Chefs)

CAR @ MIA (Go Panthers)

PIT @ CLE (Bills lost to both, but I think we root for the Browns here)

NYJ @ BAL (Go Ravens)

TEN @ OAK (Raiders have the better conference record, so go Titans)

Bottom line -- if the Jets and Fish both lose next week, no matter what else happens Buffalo is one stinking game out of a playoff spot with five to go.

EDIT: added info from Just Jack's post about the playoff predictor tool

It's Here!!!!

ESPN Playoff scenario generator

Pick the teams and see who makes it and who misses

And once you've got your teams, try simulating the playoffs here...

http://graphicsweb.w...ts/nfl/nfl.html

Edited by eball

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should start by saying I don't think we win out. Think we have an outside shot of 8-8 which might possibly just be good enough but 7-9 is more likely and that won't be good enough. But if we pretend for a moment that the Bills win out then the team who I see as the biggest threat are the Pittsburgh Steelers. Because they have been there, done it, and have the Lombardi Trophies to show for it and looking at their schedule if they can get through the two divisional road games at Cleveland and Baltimore still in the mix then I think they have the opportunity to go 9-7 and they have the tie breaker over us.

I have a bad feeling about this, but I think our loss to the Steelers is going to hurt more than any other loss.

They are 4-6, playing well, and still play Cleveland twice, Cincy, Baltimore, Miami, and Green Bay-- all very winnable games. I think we need to see them win the division, have Cincy implode, and then get the tie-breaker with the Ravens.

I have a bad feeling about this, but I think our loss to the Steelers is going to hurt more than any other loss.

They are 4-6, playing well, and still play Cleveland twice, Cincy, Baltimore, Miami, and Green Bay-- all very winnable games. I think we need to see them win the division, have Cincy implode, and then get the tie-breaker with the Ravens.

GB, should have Rodgers back by then... and it's in GB. Baltimore may play tough at home, they played them tough in Pitts. And you just never know about divisional games.

I have no use for your cantankerous nature in this thread. There are plenty of other spots around here for you to urinate upon.

this-----^

They don't even need to win out. 1 loss and there's still hope. Just depends on who the loss is to.

Regardless, if you can't get excited about heading into December still in the playoff hunt, only 1 game out (if things go good this week) then why bother.

I know were all hyped up over a big win against the Jets right now and a loss in 2 weeks to the Falcons would just shove a dagger into our hearts, but we played very well yesterday. We will have a week off to prepare for it, a week off to get these guys healthy (dare I jinx is that it's heading into December and for once were healthy) haven't been able to say that since the 90s

If we have seen anything this year, it's that anybody can beat anybody when you least expect it. The thing to remember is that Buffalo is still in it, and in a sense the Bills control their own destiny if you believe the Jets will lose at least two more games this season, and the Dolphins will lose one (besides the game at Buffalo).

Yeah, the Steelers are pulling it together, but I'll chalk the Bengals up for the W and I think GB will be getting Aaron Rodgers back by that last week and they'll play. They just need one more loss and it's 7-9. It really is going to come down to all of these teams beating up on each other and we're going to keep our fingers crossed we end up with a tiebreaker in our favor.

Give me a break...the Bills aren't making the playoffs. Even an optimist can see that.

You honestly think this team can win out?

Right? We are the most bi-polar fan base ever....We just need to get show continued improvement week in and week out and whatever the record is, will be.

The best thing is for is is that we have a bye very late. Were already very healthy (minus Woods and SJ which should get their rest this week) and the rest of the teams fighting for spots are playing each other and beating each other up while we play Out of conference games against Atlanta, Tampa

The giants always make a late season push...why not us....the suffering has to end sometime....superbowl until mathematically eliminated!

This. Plus, think about the game yesterday. We were able to throw the ball decently w/o 2 of our best wide receivers. TJ actually showed ball skills. If his play continues to improve, EJ's play continues to improve, and SJ and Woods come back healthy for the stretch, on paper, we should be favorites. Not to mention if Marcell, Mario and Kyle play like they did yesterday. They imposed their will on a solid O-line.

At the risk of jumping the proverbial gun, perhaps this thread may be pinned until either the Bills clinch a spot or are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention?

Following week 11 action (one game pending) the Bills (4-7) sit at 14th in the AFC, yet are only 1.5 games behind the final Wild Card leaders at 5-5 (NYJ, MIA).

Teams #8-13 (OAK, TEN, PIT, BAL, SD, CLE) have identical 4-6 records.

Next week there are some big games that will shake things up a bit, while the Bills sit home and get healthy:

SD @ KC (Go Chefs)

CAR @ MIA (Go Panthers)

PIT @ CLE (Bills lost to both, but I think we root for the Browns here)

NYJ @ BAL (Go Ravens)

TEN @ OAK (Raiders have the better conference record, so go Titans)

Bottom line -- if the Jets and Fish both lose next week, no matter what else happens Buffalo is one stinking game out of a playoff spot with five to go.

If Bills win out --- I think Baltimore and Tennessee are strongest teams to watch, based on their play and their schedules --- took quick look and Oakland, Miami, Cleveland and San Diego will all fade based on play and tougher schedules ---- Pitt and NY Jets have easier schedules, but not sure on their play

The best thing is for is is that we have a bye very late. Were already very healthy (minus Woods and SJ which should get their rest this week) and the rest of the teams fighting for spots are playing each other and beating each other up while we play Out of conference games against Atlanta, Tampa

Three of the Bills' five remaining games (the next three, actually) are against teams already "effectively" eliminated from playoff contention. The opportunity is there.

If they can beat Atlanta and Tampa(Toughest game IMO) then I'll start to believe it can happen. Until then, I'm just happy with the result of yesterdays game.

Agreed. If we only could have closed KC, then this is a different. It is what it is. Lets get through the next two games over the next three weeks then revisit.