How do you ignore Carpenter's production for Hopkins?

Big Turk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills have a tough decision...they drafted Hopkins but Carpenter has come in and pretty much been the best kicker in the NFL and is doing a good job on kickoffs.

I know its an open competition in training camp, but how much will Carpenter's great kicking this year factor in versus Hopkins unknown ability in real games?

Wouldn't be surprised to see us keep Carpenter long term...

Hope the FO done messing around now that we have a good kicker. Hopkins didn't impress me much, he may develop as many do as they go along but we have a good one now so they better not mess with it. They better not draft any kickers or punter for that matter.

Lol, did you not see Folks field goal attempt?

neither did he, it was so wide right.

August 14, 2013 4:13 PM

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The Miami Dolphins were having a kicking competition in the first few weeks of training camp, but apparently that competition is over with the less expensive player winning.

The Dolphins announced Wednesday that kicker Dan Carpenter had been cut from the roster. Carpenter was on the books for more than $3 million in 2013, which will instead come off the Dolphins’ books.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/dolphins-cut-kicker-dan-carpenter/

I don't think they can ignore Carpenter's production and I agree with what was said earlier about touchback percentage. Okay you give return guys a chance when you don't kick through the endzone but you also give your coverage team a chance to pin them inside the 15.

I think they both stay into training camp and through pre-season next year and then unless Hopkins has wowed them they cut him and keep Carpenter.

Bills have a tough decision...they drafted Hopkins but Carpenter has come in and pretty much been the best kicker in the NFL and is doing a good job on kickoffs.

I know its an open competition in training camp, but how much will Carpenter's great kicking this year factor in versus Hopkins unknown ability in real games?

Wouldn't be surprised to see us keep Carpenter long term...

i dont think Carpenter is signed beyond this season and after way he has kicked will most likely be looking for a nice payday and if Bills give it to him there wont be a competition

Really?

I thought he has been good on kickoffs

CBF

Apparently kicking the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone so the other team returns it and gets tackled at the 12 yard line is a bad thing here...

They should re sign him and cut Hopkins.

No need to mess with a kickers mind by having a compitetion when he has already proved he earned the job.

CBF

No, no and no. That's not the way you handle this situation. Hopkins is a super talented kicker with a big leg. I love the year Carpenter is having but this is the "good" Dan Carpenter. Results today don't necessarily predict the results of tomorrow. I know it's scary to go with the unknown but you gotta give Hopkins a chance to compete for the job in training camp. You have to have some vision as a coaching staff. I don't want to see Carpenter turn into the guy Miami cut while Hopkins has a successful 10 year career with the Patriots or Jets. You gotta see what you have in Hopkins before letting him walk.