Sloppy Thursday Night Football...Solution?

eball

With all of the (deserved) talk about how bad the TNF games have been, and with the NFL *supposedly* focusing on player safety, it doesn't make sense to be giving teams only three days of rest.

Wouldn't it make sense to expand the season to 18 weeks and add an extra bye for each team? I haven't run the numbers, but perhaps this would enable the league to schedule byes for each team the week before they play on TNF. Limit each team to one Thursday night game so this only has to be done once for each team. Schedule divisional games on Thursdays so it's easier to manage.

Thoughts?

Seems like a smart idea for Player safety but I don't think the NFL really cares as much about safety as they say. If safety was a major concern they would make drastic changes.

On a semi related note, I think they should do away with TNF just because I don't like it. Thursday, Sunday and Mondays. Too much. I miss plan old Sunday afternoon football. (Not that Buffalo has much of a lack of this.)

I'd think you could do it without an extra week as excluding a few weeks of season, teams have byes anyway so play the Thursday night after the bye. Next week when the Bill's have their bye, instead have the six teams that play Thanksgiving have the bye. May be tough to schedule around that and no teams would want a week two or week 16 bye, but could expand the byes at least one extra week on each end. I don't believe the last two weeks of seaosn they have Thursday night games antway around X-mas and New Years?? Certainly could reduce it down to only a handful of games are being played after three days rest.

As a fan, I don't mind it too much. I like watching the NFL, so it gives me a little something to look forward to during the week. It also keeps me on top of my fantasy teams, since I'll typically have someone going on Thursdays.

That said, the NFL is all about the almighty dollar. Having Thursday night games gives them more exposure and potentially additional revenue. If they really cared about player safety and the quality of the game, they'd do away with the Thursday games.

With all of the (deserved) talk about how bad the TNF games have been, and with the NFL *supposedly* focusing on player safety, it doesn't make sense to be giving teams only three days of rest.

Wouldn't it make sense to expand the season to 18 weeks and add an extra bye for each team? I haven't run the numbers, but perhaps this would enable the league to schedule byes for each team the week before they play on TNF. Limit each team to one Thursday night game so this only has to be done once for each team. Schedule divisional games on Thursdays so it's easier to manage.

Thoughts?

I disagree with the premise. Why do you think the Thursday night games have been "sloppier" than other games? I certainly haven't noticed a difference. Are there stats that support that idea?

they tried having two bye weeks once and it was terrible...im am completely against an 18 week season

in theory i hate the Thursday night games but once Thursday rolls around Im glad there is football on

its only a matter of time before there is a weekly saturday night game as well because the NFL is not happy unless they are sucking every possible penny out of their product

Edited by Max997

Thoughts?

18 games, 2 bye weeks and increase active roster size.

The NFL will do whatever it takes to squeeze every red cent it can out of the fans. What us fans would like to see or what is best for the players will remain irrelevant unless an issue falls into the realm of affecting profitability. The real question is what mechanisms exist for fans to influence the NFL on this subject effectively without it costing us more money and time than we already spend.

I'd love a longer NFL season but don't add games. Add a bye week. Give the players more rest.

They did this years ago and I'm not sure why they stopped. It seemed like a win/win. The TV networks get an extra week of games and the players get an extra week of rest.

I'm all for a 19 week regular season schedule with one bye week which makes it an 18 game schedule for each team, but not at the cost of losing 2 preseason games.

I used to hate preseason until I really understood football and how we need the younger players and also veterans to "gel" and pick up the playbook come week 1 in the regular season.

The unfortunate thing is an 18 week schedule doesn't help the math of how the games are being played now. If it was an 18 week schedule, I would believe we would play everyone in our division twice as it already is which equals 6 games. Then, instead of playing 2 whole divisions (one AFC and one NFC) and 2 teams based on SOS, we would just play 3 whole divions (preferably 2 AFC and one NFC) which equals 12 games.

It would be awesome to push the preseason back 2 weeks and that way the regular season would start mid August, but that won't happen because of TV rights and all the other political reasons.

Should be a topic of discussion though. Also I believe this past year in the owner's meetings they outruled the idea of having an 18 game season. That doesn't mean it won't be brought to the table again in this year's meetings so let's hope for the best.

I'm all for that. Increase the regular season by two, reduce preseason by two, and give each team two byes. That should be enough

18 games, 32 teams, 64 byes -- to this non math mind, it seems like enough for every team to have a TN game after a bye.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

18 games, 2 bye weeks and increase active roster size.

This is also very noteworthy (the increased roster size).

These kids are dedicating their entire lives to play football all over the country and I believe only 325 or a number within that range of new players come to the NFL. 325 out of 10's of thousands.

It would be great to have an increased rister to give more of these kids a shot at playing in the NFL.

It truly is an honor to play for this league. Then of course you have people like Aaron Hernandez, Ricky Williams etc. Shame.

I'm all for that. Increase the regular season by two, reduce preseason by two, and give each team two byes. That should be enough

18 games, 32 teams, 64 byes -- to this non math mind, it seems like enough for every team to have a TN game after a bye.

That math will still only give the Bills a .1% more of a chance to play a primetime game besides the given TNF matchup.

It's off topic but the Dolphins weren't very good last year and they got a Monday night game. This schedule thing for the Bills is definitely rigged.

18 week season.

expand the roster.

stay with one bye week.

But make it so the team has to make every player on your team inactive for one more game.

You can have one player be exempt from the inactive list, your QB?

Why? Why would I sit my star players if they are healthy?

Seems like a smart idea for Player safety but I don't think the NFL really cares as much about safety as they say. If safety was a major concern they would make drastic changes.

On a semi related note, I think they should do away with TNF just because I don't like it. Thursday, Sunday and Mondays. Too much. I miss plan old Sunday afternoon football. (Not that Buffalo has much of a lack of this.)

Because of the Thursday night games we also do not have the Saturday games during December that we used to have. I like those Saturday afternon games in December.

Why? Why would I sit my star players if they are healthy?

This would be to appease the NFLPA.

Really every player would be playing in one more game then currently, except the one you designate your franchise guy(QB most likely).

The entire team gets a bye.

Expand the roster. Maybe to 60 players.

If everyone is doing this then you would not have any disadvantages really. You would have to denote the players you are going to sit by Monday at 3pm before the game. You can not sit the same guy twice.

Think about it. Everyone would win. The owners get what they want, 2 more high priced regular seasons games, which could offset the additional salaries.

Poke holes in it please. I am just thinking outside the box. maybe it is crazy.