Sloppy Thursday Night Football...Solution?

eball

With all of the (deserved) talk about how bad the TNF games have been, and with the NFL *supposedly* focusing on player safety, it doesn't make sense to be giving teams only three days of rest.

Wouldn't it make sense to expand the season to 18 weeks and add an extra bye for each team? I haven't run the numbers, but perhaps this would enable the league to schedule byes for each team the week before they play on TNF. Limit each team to one Thursday night game so this only has to be done once for each team. Schedule divisional games on Thursdays so it's easier to manage.

Thoughts?

From a fan perspective, this is hands down a fantastic approach. While bye weeks are pretty boring in that you don't get to watch your favorite team play, it at least expands the season so fans can watch another week of football.

On a side note, does anyone know why the NFL doesn't try to push for a few Saturday games? I mean, I know it would be in competition with college football, but a lot of people (myself included) don't watch college games. I would think the money gained from Saturday games would outweigh the losses - the Sunday morning schedule is so packed, but we can only watch one game at a time. A nationally broadcasted Saturday game would surely draw more viewers than a regional Sunday morning game

My preference would be to expand the season to 18 weeks with each team getting 2 byes. Still 16 games.

Some say they did this once. When? I don't remember that. Seems like something I'd remember.

2 byes would be good for player safety by giving the teams an extra week to rest up players twice. Keep the 4 pre season games to give backup guys a chance to play.

IF they were going to the 18 game season and every player had to be inactive for one game, don't exempt QBs. I really don't like this ideas though as it seems one more gimmicky thing we don't need. Seasons long enough already and backup players need the playing time in pre season.

Also, I have not really seen this "sloppiness" of the games I hear about. Well except for maybe when Tuel Time was in against the Clowns! Can anyone give an example of what they're talking about. Stats may be nice too.

Edited by reddogblitz

Also, I have not really seen this "sloppiness" of the games I hear about. Well except for maybe when Tuel Time was in against the Clowns! Can anyone give an example of what they're talking about. Stats may be nice too.

No stats here; for me it's an "eye test" sort of thing, as well as a bit of common sense. Teams have only three days between games so the amount of gameplanning -- and then practicing that gameplan -- is extremely limited. When I've watched any of the Thursday night action it has simply looked sloppy to me.