EJ Manuel aiming his passes?

EJ has a cannon of an arm and I think once he shakes off the rookie mistakes he will be the franchise QB, but as I watched the Pitt game, he unfortunately reminded me of Tebow. Looking down receivers and throwing an absolute dart straight to him. As far as leading receivers he did not do a very good job at all, something tebow also struggled with. At least four passes that I remember sailed over the WR heads toward the sideline. However there was one play where he converted a 3rd and 4 to Chris Gragg but the ball was aimed straight at his feet. Since I've never been a QB, is this something our QB coach can fix or we just stuck with the hope he gets better?

Without the arm?

Jesus H Christ. I give up.

GO BILLS!!!

hahaha! It's hilarious to picture what your physical reaction to that "without the arm" comment was. Great job of personifying it through words!

I do agree he seems to place the ball. Reminds me more of Trent than anyone else. I thought Fitz actually did the opposite. He wound up and threw it as hard as he could. Unfortunately his arm was so weak it really didn't matter.

Without the arm?

Jesus H Christ. I give up.

GO BILLS!!!

lol - so perfect.

/thread

better yet,

/close TBD (until the Bills win and people go out of their minds in the opposite direction)

If you watch his throwing motion, footwork, and body position from the Pittsburgh game you will note some issues. His mechaniscs were terrible, flatfooted, no body motion, relying on arm strength. He appears to have regressed somewhat but most of this should be correctable given a decent QB coach. Compare EJ's throwing motion to that of the leagues most proficient passers and you'll see this like night and day.

If you watch his throwing motion, footwork, and body position from the Pittsburgh game you will note some issues. His mechaniscs were terrible, flatfooted, no body motion, relying on arm strength. He appears to have regressed somewhat but most of this should be correctable given a decent QB coach. Compare EJ's throwing motion to that of the leagues most proficient passers and you'll see this like night and day.

EJ's lower body mechanics have been well-noted and they are readily correctable. But he has to be patient in order to give himself a chance to properly set his feet in the pocket. From the waist up, his motion is about as mechanically perfect as you can hope for. Very efficient, especially for someone of his size and length. And it leaves his hand in a hurry. Which is what confounds me most about the comparison to Fitz, who has to wind up from the hip to get anything on the ball and takes all day doing so.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with the mechanics. Not sure why we never put him behind center, easier footwork there. That was also our best called game on offense. Tuel also had a better called game and was taking a number of snaps behind center.

I seriously think this is the root of all our problems on the offensive side of the ball. I don't get it

EJ's lower body mechanics have been well-noted and they are readily correctable. But he has to be patient in order to give himself a chance to properly set his feet in the pocket. From the waist up, his motion is about as mechanically perfect as you can hope for. Very efficient, especially for someone of his size and length. And it leaves his hand in a hurry. Which is what confounds me most about the comparison to Fitz, who has to wind up from the hip to get anything on the ball and takes all day doing so.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope they are readily correctable, because messing with mechanics at this level may not go well. I didn't think it helped Fitz last year, that's for sure. Even though we had a qb coach and Fitz seemed interested in improving the change wasn't there, in fact I think he regressed. And there's no way the fans can tolerate someone learning on the job, we have to win now.

Yes EJ is only throwing to guys that are open and not throwing WR's open. Rich Gannon made the same comment. If EJ is sitting in the pocket waiting for a WR to get wide open he is hesitating which is a bad. EJ is also somehwat inaccurate because he is throwing behind his receivers instead of leading them with his throws. With time hopefully he gets better. He also is in and out of hte lineup to much to get any kind of rythem down with the receivers. He missed significant time in Training camp and the setupback with the knee during the season.

It has to be frustrating with the WR's. These QB's seem to think it only takes a week which they are wrong.

During the NE game i saw EJ lead his receivers. on the TD pass to Woods he threw it before Woods turned around which was good. ON the SJ TD he threw it so that SJ just had to run under it. He was throwing to a spot in both cases which is what elite QB's are doing.

During the last game he threw a long pass to Goodwin on the side into double coverage when he had a wide open Chandler in the middle that if he had just threw it over his shoulder it would have been a big gainer.

EJ was considered Raw coming out. He has this joe cool attitude that I hope doesn't make him believe he has made it yet. He has a ton of work to do.

Besides the coaching stuff sucks offensively. SJ is a 1000 yard receiver the last 3 years and they move him to the slot? Graham has stone hands.

My starting 3 WR's would be woods, SJ and Easley. Fast guys are cool but they are a one trick poney.

I hope they are readily correctable, because messing with mechanics at this level may not go well. I didn't think it helped Fitz last year, that's for sure. Even though we had a qb coach and Fitz seemed interested in improving the change wasn't there, in fact I think he regressed. And there's no way the fans can tolerate someone learning on the job, we have to win now.

I agree with your concern about messing with mechanics. If it were his throwing motion, I'd be more concerned, though. Great point about Fitz. David Lee got inside his head. When I saw him triple hitch that long out to SJ in the opener against the Jest last year, I knew something wasn't right. Nobody, I mean NOBODY triple hitches a long out.

Feet are the easiest aspect of throwing to correct. I love everything else about EJ's motion, especially that quick release.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with your concern about messing with mechanics. If it were his throwing motion, I'd be more concerned, though. Great point about Fitz. David Lee got inside his head. When I saw him triple hitch that long out to SJ in the opener against the Jest last year, I knew something wasn't right. Nobody, I mean NOBODY triple hitches a long out.

Feet are the easiest aspect of throwing to correct. I love everything else about EJ's motion, especially that quick release.

GO BILLS!!!

just thought id chime in with "agreed"

i could do it with any and all of the posts youve made in this thread.

GO BILLS!!!

If I remember correctly the accuracy issues were attributed to Fitz's footwork, with special attention paid to the throws on the left side of the field. Fitz had an entire offseason and good command of the playbook so I think he spent a good deal of time working on that problem but was not able to solve it. I think EJ also has some mental issues when the pocket is breaking down that leads to technique breakdowns and I think that's a little different than just plain footwork issues.

I think EJ looks a lot like he did at FSU. Someone posted a video in another thread of his highlights and I see the same kind of throws this year. I hope he gets better but I think it's going to be a minimum of next year before he starts to improve. With rookie qb's it usually goes something like first year, dumbed down playbook and some success; second year, much more playbook but limited success because of complexity "sophomore jinx"; third year, good grip on playbook and some success. It will be tough for a qb like EJ to make it on this team because with the injuries he seems behind on that timeline already and I think it will take him the full three years to get up to speed. Not what fans want to hear, but we knew that when we were able to trade down and still take him, right?

I hope the coaching staff (probably after we are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs) lets him grip it and rip it to try and accelerate his learning curve to make up for the injuries. I agree with the OP in that he has had it drilled into his head "don't make a mistake" and "don't take a hit running the ball" but he has to play with a little more abandon if he is going to get back on track. At least he is a good listener.